Wiki Posts
Search

are HGI the better Hiltons?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:46 am
zaf

Programs: HH Gold VIP, BonVoy Gold, BAEC Gold, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
This is one of the (if not the) best HGI that I've been to. Unfortunately, I only get to go there every 3 months or so, but the staff have gotten to know me by name (the one gal remembers everything I told her on my first stay and makes conversation about my work, etc ^), they always have great recommendations for dinner/out on the town, rooms are nice, etc. IMO, it doesn't get much better than getting out of work early on a summer afternoon and going and sitting on their 10th floor patio by the pool!

My only (minor) complaint about this property is rooms that don't look onto Sherbrooke. A lot of them look onto the dumpster. However, I only get these rooms when I make a last-minute trip up there and they are sold out... they'll still get my coworker and I rooms after a quick chat with the manager!
But if I remember correctly their only minor downside is the lack of in room movies (pay-per-view)..

The pool is great and the view is amazing.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:13 pm

Code:
y Hampton Inn (not "& Suites") has HDTVs, microwaves and refrigerators in every room. Three nights a week local restaurants provide us with complimentary hot food for our evening receptions, and Wednesday nights we offer free beer and wine. Our rates are lower than the HGI next door (hotel hopping, anyone???) Our breakfast offerings are delicious (except for those fake cheese omelets, vom) and we don't charge for laundry (the laundromat does!).

Yes, I know, shameless self-promotion, but hey: Guy's gotta eat!
Hhonor Gguard
Why I still stay at some hamptons. The last one I was at was in Beaumont,TX. They basically do the same. Nice staff too.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:39 pm

HGIs seem to be much more consistent than FS Hiltons. You usually get exactly what you are expecting. I like that.

Bobette
Old Apr 22, 2010, 1:05 pm

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred & CP, Delta Diamond, HH Diamond Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by zaf
But if I remember correctly their only minor downside is the lack of in room movies (pay-per-view)..

The pool is great and the view is amazing.

Do people actually pay that $16.99 to watch a movie they can get at Blockbuster for $5.00?
Old Apr 22, 2010, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Ravenboy2001
Nothing beats the free breakfast that Diamonds get at HGI. Always have good fresh fruit, and when I'm in the mood for an omelette, I get a nice big fat omelette. Also love the restaurtant/bar option that Hampton Inn's don't offer.

I've become a huge fan of HGI as well!
I've had bad experience with HGI breakfasts, ranging from horrible to fair.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 1:47 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
You must not have stayed in HI not for a long time, I can see many HI are improving their breakfast, adding walffle maker, eliminating fake eggs, etc, though it is still far from what HGI provide. Many HS that I had been to have average to good dinners, rather than it is passable, some had very fillings restaurant quality items, one of the memorable ones are HS DFW which served roast beef, real roast beef not TV dinners or airline Y meals.
I haven't stayed in a Homewood in quite sometime (2 years or so); I'm currently staying in the HI - Hobby Airport.. It's the 3rd or 4th different HI I've stayed in this year.

Service - fantastic
Breakfast - alright. There is indeed a waffle maker. The breakfast potatoes have been pretty good, the sausage patties have been salty, but otherwise fine. This doesn't make for a great breakfast though. It makes for a passable breakfast; which isn't a knock again HI. a 6 or 7 out of 10 for breakfast doesn't = fail (except for those surveys).

When I think great breakfast - I think cooked to order french toast/omelet (like at most HGIs and some ES).
Old Apr 22, 2010, 1:54 pm
zaf

Programs: HH Gold VIP, BonVoy Gold, BAEC Gold, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
Originally Posted by Ravenboy2001
Do people actually pay that $16.99 to watch a movie they can get at Blockbuster for $5.00?
In a winter or rainy QC night..
Old Apr 22, 2010, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With US hotels almost always newer is better (eg nicer). Too many full service US Hiltons etc are old, worn, noisy, dusty, tired and ding you for everything other than the bed, towels and running water. If I gotta car I avoid them as I do the plague. The HGI, HI and an occasional HS get the majority of my business anymore.

MisterNice
Old Apr 22, 2010, 2:09 pm

When I travel alone or on business, I prefer HGI. But, when I am with family, I choose Homewood for the space. I do go to Hampton Inn sometime, occasionally Doubletree.

alextktan
Old Apr 22, 2010, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA mm, Marriott PLT, Hilton Dia
I used one of my free night certificates and chose an HGI over full service alternatives. I had my wife with me, too.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Minneapolis
That is incorrect. There are numerous HGIs that allow smoking in designated rooms. It varies by state law.
I haven't seen an HGI that allowed smoking in a while, even in states where I have seen smoking Hamptons.

There was a Hampton with $209 for smoking, $230 for non, and the HGI was $206 for a 100% smoke free hotel.

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
The whole chain smoke free ?
By chain I meant the HGI brand. In my head Brand = Hilton Hotels and Chain = each type, but I guess I am backward.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 3:53 pm

Last week I was given a room at a HGI and it smelled horribly of smoke. I went to the FD and they changed my room without a problem. The FD person said that it was not a smoking room and that there is a charge of $250.00 (as mentioned up thread) for smoking in a non-smoking room. Six rooms are set aside, at this HGI, for smoking I was told.

Bobette
Old Apr 22, 2010, 4:00 pm

Programs: HHonors
Originally Posted by justinc848
I haven't stayed in a Homewood in quite sometime (2 years or so); I'm currently staying in the HI - Hobby Airport.. It's the 3rd or 4th different HI I've stayed in this year.

Service - fantastic
Breakfast - alright. There is indeed a waffle maker. The breakfast potatoes have been pretty good, the sausage patties have been salty, but otherwise fine. This doesn't make for a great breakfast though. It makes for a passable breakfast; which isn't a knock again HI. a 6 or 7 out of 10 for breakfast doesn't = fail (except for those surveys).

When I think great breakfast - I think cooked to order french toast/omelet (like at most HGIs and some ES).
Ugh, I was at that Hampton a few months ago and thought it was horrible. Mismatched lightbulbs in the hallways (when they even worked), clock radio didn't work and a front desk that asked for my room number at the desk twice (a big no-no). Maybe I have a more critical eye but I thought it was just plain run down.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 4:20 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by hamptoninnsider
Ugh, I was at that Hampton a few months ago and thought it was horrible. Mismatched lightbulbs in the hallways (when they even worked), clock radio didn't work and a front desk that asked for my room number at the desk twice (a big no-no). Maybe I have a more critical eye but I thought it was just plain run down.
Hmm.. I can't say I've noticed mismatched light bulbs (but you'd look for these things more than I would). Last week a had a fridge/microwave.. this week I don't.. I thought all HIs had fridge/microwaves.. I decided against asking to be moved to a room with one as it doesn't really matter to me. I did notice that I received water/cookies even though my MyWay is marked bonus points; and I did indeed receive bonus points.

I wouldn't call the lobby..etc. nice by any stretch, but the room is simple, bed is comfy, and I have a HDTV w a decent channel selection.

The only weird thing I've noticed is in regards to the towels/wash cloths. The towels are clean, though seem a bit worn/aren't fluffy.. and the maid leaves however many wash cloths suit her whim. I had 3 Mon.. after that it was a crapshoot whether I received 1 or 2.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by gj83
I haven't seen an HGI that allowed smoking in a while, even in states where I have seen smoking Hamptons.

By chain I meant the HGI brand. In my head Brand = Hilton Hotels and Chain = each type, but I guess I am backward.
Well I have seen plenty HGI have smoking rooms available, or else I wouldn't have stayed in so many of them, obviously, I am a smoker.

No matter chain or brand, there is none in Hilton family completely smoke free, only individual properties will decide what they want.

Originally Posted by jabez

Homewood Suites: I have grown tired of receiving less partner miles and the cheap furnishings/bed. I now stay about 15% of the time.
I agree, especially on weekdays (Mon-Thur) where dinner is serve, HS can charge as much as a ES or DT, a lot more expensive than HI, but still giving same partner miles as HI does.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Apr 22, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.