Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Louisiana, USA {US-LA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Louisiana, USA {US-LA}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2008, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Hilton Properties in New Orleans

Going to New Orleans for Jazz Fest. First time back to the Crescent City since Katrina. Looking for comments on Hilton properties in New Orleans, such as the Hilton New Orleans, Doubletree, HGI, Embassy Suite, etc.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 10:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by dlwalt
Going to New Orleans for Jazz Fest. First time back to the Crescent City since Katrina. Looking for comments on Hilton properties in New Orleans, such as the Hilton New Orleans, Doubletree, HGI, Embassy Suite, etc.
It's not mentioned above, but have you read any of the reviews posted in this forum?

Maybe if you read those threads and posted specific question(s) we could better assist you.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 10:46 am

Location: US, usually between the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans
Programs: American Airlines, Hilton Honors, Free Spirit, AirTran A+, Coke Rewards
New Orleans

I have stayed at the Hilton at the end of Canal Street (edge of French Quarter), and also the DoubleTree next to Lake Pontchartrain(sp?) in Metarie. Both impressed me, so choose which one better fits your price range. I was able to get a deal (at the time) at each location.

The French Quarter location is good for walking to/around the French Quarter.

The Metarie location is good for when you want to be away from the crowds. They do have shuttle rides, but check for shuttle times and locations.

Otherwise, all of this information is from BEFORE Hurricane Katrina, so I do not know the condition of the hotels now. Enjoy New Orleans!
Old Dec 9, 2008, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
In Sept 2007 I stayed in the Hilton New Orleans/St Charles for a few nights. It was a great hotel, staff attentive, rooms nice. The indoor pool area down in the basement was also good.

Am due back in Louisiana over the Xmas holidays and we've currently planned a return to the Hilton St Charles for a few nights...very much looking forward to it.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 2:36 pm

I've done the Doubletree downtown, the Hilton Airport, and the Hilton New Orleans. The Doubletree was decent, but I didn't think it was in a great location. Rooms were fairly standard, clean, decent staff.

The Hilton Airport was a cookie-cutter property. Nothing seemed exceptional (I had an infestation of small ants in my first room), except the staff in the dining room who recognized me by name after my first stay. I've stayed a couple times since (the location is perfect for visiting one of my customers).

The Hilton New Orleans I really enjoyed. Older building so you sorta have to wind your way around the hallways (I could probably get lost here), but the rooms were very nice and clean. The staff was friendly, and the location was pretty good. It was annoying trying to get to the fitness center though. I couldn't figure out a way to get there except by going outside.

A non-Hilton property, but I recently stayed at the Omni Royal Orleans and it was fantastic. Better service, awesome room, and super location (a couple blocks away from Bourbon). Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Edited to add: Try searching the HHonors forum here on FlyerTalk for more detailed accounts of the properties. There are quite a few!
Old Dec 9, 2008, 4:46 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by dlwalt
I had a fairly miserable experience at the Hilton on St. Charles, along with a nasty meal with service to match at "Luke", the restaurant attached to the hotel.

Otherwise I've stayed at the Doubletree twice and it was nothing special but adequate, both of my stays were in rooms as small as anything I've encountered in NYC and Europe.

Hilton Riverside is a decent property, but caters to convention crowds and can be VERY crowded in the exec lounge.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA MM Gold Hilton HHonors
Recently stayed for 3 nights at the Hampton Inn in the Garden District. Very reasonable rates, nice room, free parking out back in a secure area, trolley stop in front of the hotel. (Front desk sold trolley passes) We never took the car out the whole time. Elegant old style inn. Some nice restaurants within walking distance. The front desk was very helpful in recommendations for restaurants and tours. (We wanted to see what the areas looked like now that had been so devasted. We would never have gone to the right areas on our own)
Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:00 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
NOLA Hilton Properties

Going down to New Orleans for Jazz Fest and am looking at the different Hilton properties. I prefer to keep the room rate under $200 a night. I am looking at the Doubletree on Canal or the Hilton Garden Inn in the French Quarter. Any comments or those or other Hilton properties in the Big Easy.
Old May 30, 2009, 4:13 pm

Programs: PC Plat, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, United Silver, DL Plat, IC Gold, Hertz. #1, AMX Plat
Best use of points NOLA

Can anyone recommend the best place to stay? Never been before, have lot's of points, will be parking. Would like to see the French Quarter, would like breakfast. Otherwise , I'm up for suggestions for a one night stay.
Old May 30, 2009, 8:31 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
For a one-night stay I'm not sure it would matter too much. As far as I know all of the NOLA hotels are going to charge for parking, and they all have their fans and detractors.

Hilton Riverside is decent, but large and "corporate", not much of a New Orleans "feel" to the place but a short walk to the French Quarter. My one stay at the Hilton on St. Charles wasn't that great due to some service issues, but it's a building with some atmosphere and also a short walk to the FQ, albeit in an area that is pretty quiet at night.

I haven't stayed at the Hampton Inn or HGI or Homewood places in New Orleans.

Depending on when you're visiting, the Roosevelt Hotel, a "classic New Orleans" property, is reopening as a Waldorf-Astoria property, soft opening is June 25 and "official" opening is July 6th or thereabouts. That would be my first choice if I could get in on points.

There's a lengthy thread here on the various properties if you do a search.
Old May 31, 2009, 1:31 am

Programs: PC Plat, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, United Silver, DL Plat, IC Gold, Hertz. #1, AMX Plat
Decided on the DT on Canal St. 35000 pts. Coming in from Mobile (2 hours) by way of Ohio. Works for me. Business road trip but I've never been to NOLA
Thanks
Old May 31, 2009, 8:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Continental Plat
I stay at the Hamptonn Inn right off of the French Quarter. Always a great stay. The thing about NOLA is that I'm NEVER in my room, except to sleep. And Hampton beds are perfect for that!
Old May 31, 2009, 1:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA EP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by rhinomaster
I stay at the Hamptonn Inn right off of the French Quarter. Always a great stay. The thing about NOLA is that I'm NEVER in my room, except to sleep. And Hampton beds are perfect for that!
+1.

Just had a stay had "Hampton Inn New Orleans - Downtown" located at 226 Carondelet Street. Stay was excellent--hotel is right over from Bourbon Street. Staff was friendly but parking was expensive (~$25 per night, valet though) but I'm sure it is anywhere in that part of NOLA.

Breakfast area was nice, room was great! Highly recommend!
Old May 31, 2009, 6:59 pm

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
I stayed back during Mardis Gras at the Hilton St Charles Ave. A very nice hotel within a short walk of the French Quarter.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 3:00 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles Preferred-Gold, HHonors- Diamond , Priority Club-Gold, Emerald Club- Executive
New Orleans-Which property is best for a diamond member?

Baring any travel plans I should become a Diamond HHonors member for the 1st time by the end of the month. I've earned it the hard way with lots of stays at Hamptons in rural areas and a few HGI stays. I've only stayed at a Hilton hotel once (my honeymoon). At the end of the month (when I should be a diamond) I will be staying in New Orleans for a few weekdays/nights and I'm trying to figure out which Hilton property would be the best to take advantage on my new diamond status. With keeping reasonable rates in mind (Riverside, DT, and ES are out of my range), I have it narrowed down to the HGI (CBD) or the Hilton-St. Charles Ave. They have almost equal rates.

Which is better for a diamond member, HGI or the Hilton. I know I'll get a free hot breakfast at HGI and a likely room upgrade, but what about the Hilton? Will I get a room upgrade there or are they too many other diamonds that regularly stay there? I am very interested in finally seeing a executive lounge (still not sure what the big deal is), but is it that much better than the HGI benefits? I do like the HGI hot breakfast and I know the lounge is just continental fare. But if the Hilton rooms are much nicer and the customer service is better than the HGI, I think I deserve that treat.

Any suggestions for this soon-to-be diamond member staying in NOLA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.