Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

What's the highest mileage vehicle Hertz has tried to give you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the highest mileage vehicle Hertz has tried to give you?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Hertz 5*
Today at YYZ I was given an 08 Malibu with 52,xxx MILES on it!...not even KM...when I looked at the rental agreement it said 79,xxx KM. I'm not sure why I left with it but the car drifted to the left badly...brakes were noisy and couldn't get the cig plug working.

90 mins later I returned it, the guy that checked it in was nice enough to ignore that it didn't have a full tank in it, but the girl back at reception was far from pleasant. Seems like everything I said resulted in a nasty look, even when I tried joking with her!, in the end left with a new matrix with 1000 km on it and free neverlost.

Edit: Just returned the car and they actually tried to charge me for the gps! A quick 5 mins got this resolved, I'll keep my eyes open next time I see that girl working there.

Last edited by boomstar; Mar 28, 2010 at 12:03 pm
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:13 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Over the past 12 weeks or so I've rented about 20 cars at Hertz. With upgrades 19 times of of 20, including a Mercedes, BMW and a slew of Cadillacs. The one that wasn't an upgrade, at least to me, was the Chevy Equinox I got yesterday. It was low mileage and I was only going to use it for about six hours, sp it didn't really matter.

The highest mileage I've received was about 9k miles. Most of the Cadillacs have been relatively new and ranged from 180 miles to 350 miles.

Todays Cadillac at JFK was the lowest I've ever received though, 3.2 miles on the odometer on a new STS. Literally it had just come off the truck.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by boomstar
Today at YYZ I was given an 08 Malibu with 52,xxx MILES on it!...not even KM...when I looked at the rental agreement it said 79,xxx KM. I'm not sure why I left with it but the car drifted to the left badly...brakes were noisy and couldn't get the cig plug working.

90 mins later I returned it, the guy that checked it in was nice enough to ignore that it didn't have a full tank in it, but the girl back at reception was far from pleasant. Seems like everything I said resulted in a nasty look, even when I tried joking with her!, in the end left with a new matrix with 1000 km on it and free neverlost.

Edit: Just returned the car and they actually tried to charge me for the gps! A quick 5 mins got this resolved, I'll keep my eyes open next time I see that girl working there.
Same thing happened to me twice! The Hertz agent at the counter told me thatNeverlost would be free, but when I returned the cars, they still charged me. I didn't disocover this until I was already on the plane. Fortunately, a 10-minute call to Hertz customer service resolved this....

As for high-mileage cars.... I'm happy to report that I got a Caddy with 37,000+ miles at MCO. Strangely, it had Indiana license plate.... The VIN plate on the car showed that it was manufactured in 10/2009.... so someone must have driven it hard in such a short time!
Old Jun 29, 2010, 4:13 pm

Programs: CO Platinum HH Diamond VIP Hertz 5 Star Gold Avis First Preferred
The highest mileage for me was 48K in Denver, the interior was worn & dirty and the paint was scratched dented and dinged on every piece of sheetmetal, I told the agent at the gate that renting from Hertz lately, was more like renting from Rent-A-Wreck
Old Jul 5, 2010, 6:24 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BA EC Silver, Hertz Presidents Circle
FRA to MUC

Some interesting thoughts elsewhere in this thread about high-mileage cars on one-way rentals.

I was given a Citroen C6 (upgrade from BMW 320) last week in Frankfurt to return in Munich the next day. 63,000 km on the clock...

In fairness to both Citroen and Hertz it was in better condition than I would have expected - time was a Citroen was doing well even in private hands to make that kind of mileage without half the dashboard falling off... (Apologies to Citroenistes )

It was a thoroughly nice car which I enjoyed driving, although I have to admit there were a couple of warning lights showing!

For the sake of balance & fairness, I should add I took a one-way (also with Hertz) from Munich to Dusseldorf the previous week and they upgraded a BMW 320 rental to a 7,000 km Merc S350 - which was very much appreciated

Last edited by AyrMiles; Jul 5, 2010 at 6:24 am Reason: Typo...
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:51 pm

Programs: DL PM; US Silver;Mariott+SPG+Hyatt Gold; Hertz 5*; National Car Emerald; Avis Preferred
2008 Toyota Camry with 53,xxx miles last week
Old Jul 7, 2010, 12:41 pm
mk1

Programs: KE Morning Calm; AA Plat
2009 Toyota Prius - 41,553mi at pickup. Car wasn't in the best shape, and there was a strong fragrance scent probably to cover up a smoke smell.

Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:57 pm

ATL

ATL just now: nothing says "we value you as a frequent customer" like a Yaris with 33K on it.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 9:02 pm

Programs: EK Silver, LH SEN, CX Gold, UA 2P, DJ Silver, Sixt Gold, PC Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mk1
2009 Toyota Prius - 41,553mi at pickup. Car wasn't in the best shape, and there was a strong fragrance scent probably to cover up a smoke smell.

Had that last year in NJ but with a nice smell of vomit. My colleague picked it up and she had a cough so didn't smell anything.
Their (HERTZ) only comment was to either bring the car back to NY or get some Febreze and try to get rid of the smell ourselves which we had to do because they refused to replace the car and we didn't have the time to do a fun trip to NY.

Ever since I'm really trying to avoid Hertz...that's just a joke!
Havin the choice for next weekend I've just picked Sixt instead of Hertz. And even though I pay a bit more I still feel good about it because that is actually how you should react to bad customer service.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
First time in 3 years or so, got a NEW car; Nissan Versa at SJC with 9 miles on it!

The normal has been 10,000 miles or so with some highs in the 50K miles.

Today at SEA got a 12K Chrysler Minivan
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:31 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
SEA this week had as its first offering to me a clown car with 40K on the clock.

After pointing out that it was a rolling ashtray, they gave me a Nissan Versa with 2.1 miles.

The Versa was fine, although it seemed to be powered by an army of furiously pedaling mice rather than a more traditional internal combustion engine.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 3:50 pm

Programs: EK Silver, LH SEN, CX Gold, UA 2P, DJ Silver, Sixt Gold, PC Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Wilbur
The Versa was fine, although it seemed to be powered by an army of furiously pedaling mice rather than a more traditional internal combustion engine.
Haha, good one!
Old Sep 1, 2010, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Club Gold, HHonors Gold
I flew from my home in Florida to Houston last week. Used Hertz and rented a vehicle. When I picked it up it had florida plates on it! Really cool as the only other time that happened to me was in Denver several years ago. It was a red camry, and had 42,xxx miles on it.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 2:49 pm

Programs: Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star
This past weekend I received an 09 Corolla with 50k on it. It was covered with little stickers acknowledging (sp?) previous damage. It also had pretty worn out tires and a squeaky belt first thing in the morning. It ran perfect though for the 1500 miles I put on it. I rented it at the HLE in Lawrence, KS so it was about the only car they had. If I would have had more time in my schedule I would have driven to MCI and switched it out.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 6:34 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by bubbs71
This past weekend I received an 09 Corolla with 50k on it. It was covered with little stickers acknowledging (sp?) previous damage. It also had pretty worn out tires and a squeaky belt first thing in the morning. It ran perfect though for the 1500 miles I put on it. I rented it at the HLE in Lawrence, KS so it was about the only car they had. If I would have had more time in my schedule I would have driven to MCI and switched it out.

I've always wondered about that. I rented from LAN and tried to switch out in DTW - (the radio stopped working) It seemed like such a problem - they had to call LAN, cancel the original contract (at one point I heard the counter person say "Well the yellow jacket here said do it, so we are") Then somewhat annoyed, they (at last) switched me. After that, I've never tried to swap cars unless i'm at the same branch. Glad you had a good experience. My guess is LAN is a frachise, which might have been the issue, but I never knew for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.