Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does anyone want to see Hertz lots that let you pick your own cars?(like Nat'l/Alamo)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone want to see Hertz lots that let you pick your own cars?(like Nat'l/Alamo)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2006, 3:42 pm
DebbieS

I rent from Hertz 100% of the time because I don'thave a choice.

However, I rented from Alamo for the first time today. I like how they just do your paper work and then let you go pick your own car from the class your reserved. I looked at the tag haning from the mirrors and picked the one with the one with 11 miles, in the color/make I wanted. MORE IMPORTANTLY, I get to sit in the car first, to make sure it's not one of those non-smoking cars that have been smoked in....

It's not like Hertz doesn't me the car I wanted, but it takes a while for the agent to find out the mileage/color/make/model....

Old Sep 19, 2006, 4:04 pm

I like it when the agent surprises me with a really great luxo ride that goes beyond what the rate code and PC upgrade allows.

It would suck if I have to pick between a Taurus and a few other crap-mobiles if I book an F rate.

Alamo in general sucked everytime we try them. They're usually the cheapest in Hawaii and we always get crappy service and dirty cars from them.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Before this summer, I would have said I'm indifferent. Actually, I would have said I prefer Hertz service, because I hop in the car and only have to show a driver's license at the exit. The human interaction step at Hertz was generally under 15 seconds, whereas at National it's more like 60-90 seconds because they pull up your contract, look at your ID and credit card, etc. They also have an annoying habit of asking for physical paper printouts of stuff, but I've learned to carry that, so no big deal.

But now, after a summer of unusually bad service from Hertz, I've been renting from Emerald Aisle more often. By bad service I mean either (a) my name not on the board and me having to run around looking for someone to help or (b) a totally incorrect car type in my stall. I'm not talking about upgrades or downgrades - I'm talking about me renting a car and finding either a truck or van in my stall.

The only downside: Emerald Aisle generally is full of boring cars. But at least there are generally cars there - if I arrive 15 minutes early at Hertz, I have no car. If I arrive 30 minutes late, I have no car. At National, I just jump in the first car I get to - I really don't care what it is since they are all somewhat boring - and let the exit guard adjust my pick-up time if he feels like it.

Anyway, I'm not saying I prefer Hertz go to an Emerald Aisle system. I would prefer them to execute the existing #1 Club Gold system flawlessly. But if they can't do that, off I go to National...
Old Sep 19, 2006, 4:21 pm

Programs: EY Gold, AS MVPG, BAEC Gold, DL PM
In my case, it's the exact opposite. I'm sick and tired of the same old drab choices in most Exec. Selection lots. That's the reason why I've signed up with Hertz Club Gold. In most cases, Hertz actually works out to be slightly cheaper than National based on my rental pattern and car preferences.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Of course it would be nice if you just told them which car you want and they bring it to you, but that would be a fantasy world.

Or is it?
Old Sep 19, 2006, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Tummy
I like it when the agent surprises me with a really great luxo ride that goes beyond what the rate code and PC upgrade allows.

It would suck if I have to pick between a Taurus and a few other crap-mobiles if I book an F rate.
Agreed -- I would rather prefer Hertz clearly define what a PC upgrade is (C --> YC?) and ensure that they are honored.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
... if I arrive 15 minutes early at Hertz, I have no car. If I arrive 30 minutes late, I have no car...
Where are you renting? Did you put your flight number?

Since the computer doesn't spit out the contract until the flight arrives, I've had cases where I was delayed 6+ hours and my car was ready and waiting. That doesn't work so well if you're not flying in though.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 5:46 pm

actually it works just fine if you don't fly in. the name is sitll on the board when you've reserved the car for

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.