Community
Wiki Posts
Search

manual, stick shift vehicles in us?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2007, 1:25 pm

Programs: Cards with lots of logos on them
The only company that I came across that carries them is Enterprise Rent-a-Car. Even then it was only for certain "local" edition places that carry high end sports cars. Ex. Porsche Boxter and Audi TT.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by gforce
Yup, I did ask the lady at the Hertz Gold desk in ATL about availability of stick-shifts and she was like "I'm really sorry Sir but we don't have any!"
When I rented a car in London a while back, the guy at the counter took a very long time shuffling around until I asked him what the problem was. "I'm looking for a car with an automatic transmission", he said. "But I don't NEED one!", I replied, and soon was sent on my way, feeling very, very strange shifting with my left hand! At least the pedals are the same left to right.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 9:31 am
gof

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by okazon69
When I rented a car in London a while back, the guy at the counter took a very long time shuffling around until I asked him what the problem was. "I'm looking for a car with an automatic transmission", he said. "But I don't NEED one!", I replied, and soon was sent on my way, feeling very, very strange shifting with my left hand! At least the pedals are the same left to right.
That opens the question. Is 1st on the top left or top right when shifting with the left hand?
Old Jan 20, 2007, 6:00 pm

Programs: KL Plat, SN Gold, DL Plat, HH Diamond, IC Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle,
You just change seat

So 1st is still left top
Old Jan 20, 2007, 6:04 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by bthobe
The only company that I came across that carries them is Enterprise Rent-a-Car. Even then it was only for certain "local" edition places that carry high end sports cars. Ex. Porsche Boxter and Audi TT.
Any of these locations in the NY-metro area IYE?
Old Jan 20, 2007, 9:07 pm

Programs: EY Gold, AS MVPG, BAEC Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by bthobe
Wasn't Enterprise supposed to have Lotus Elises in its fleet? I guess the Elise has a manual tranny.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 1:35 pm

Manual cars are obsolete. They should be made illegal.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 6:25 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
Are you a woman or just a loser?
Old Jan 24, 2007, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by stevenshev
Are you a woman or just a loser?
Woa - talk about sexist

I am a woman - I can drive a stick - so can most of the women I know
Old Jan 26, 2007, 7:01 am

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
/TACT=OFF
Obviously the excessive fuel use from a 'slushbox' is not a big problem in the land of cheap 'gas', but coming from a country who has heard of Kyoto, I'd be inclined to argue the opposite.
/TACT = ON

I appreciate it requires a certain level of hand/foot co-ordination, but it's not that difficult.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 7:09 am

I agree with you.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 3:15 pm

Bump...

I have a question that seems in line with this thread. I'm headed to a few countries that don't rent cars with automatic transmissions. Any idea where I can rent one in the US (DC area) to practice/learn? I'm fresh out of ideas.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by haveric
Bump...

I have a question that seems in line with this thread. I'm headed to a few countries that don't rent cars with automatic transmissions. Any idea where I can rent one in the US (DC area) to practice/learn? I'm fresh out of ideas.
Find your local auto mall and start taking lots of test drives.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 5:54 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by haveric
You may want to contact some driving schools to see if they have manual transmission lessons for already licensed drivers.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 5:56 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Not as long as manual transmissions deliver better fuel economy, better acceleration, and better reliability (usually) than automatic transmissions.

An unintended consequence of people not learning how to use them is the occasional stories of car thieves foiled by manual transmissions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.