Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

List your Free car upgrades here (Outside of Ultimate Choice)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List your Free car upgrades here (Outside of Ultimate Choice)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2008, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Originally Posted by PTravel
Unfortunately, it was not a convertible. Hertz shouldn't put me in the position of having to apologize to clients. I've found, lately, that Hertz' upgrades really aren't -- when I was in Edmonton earlier this week, they tried to give me an SUV. That's not an upgrade, as far as I'm concerned. I travel for business and, when I book a car, I expect a car, not a truck.
ATL LOVES to give that awful Mustang. I had it put in my profile that I would not take it and it still appeared. So I just went in and complained LOUDLY every time. IMHO, its one of the worst run Hertz locations. They once gave me a car that would have failed a basic safety inspection and then complained when I bought the thing back and wanted something driveable. LOL!

My latest

July 8
SNA
NeverLost
Reserved Full Size
Received Caddy. Nice car, luckily I wasn't driving too far as it did not get good MPG!
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:19 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
SFO
Reserved F
None
Recieved Saturn Outlook SUV (AWD)

Name was not on the gold board, waited in line at the Gold counter for 10 minutes (as the line behind me grew significantly). Agent said, "you are in stall xxx.. asked her what car, she said "Outback". I went to the car and found not an outback but an Outlook -- with no contract in it. I was about to go back to the counter when someone showed up with the contract.. so I took the SUV. Gulp Gulp on the gas.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
LAS HLE
Reserved A
None
Received: Malibu 2.4L with NL

When I walked in at opening I was offered the choice of like 4 SUVs from the manager. I told him I had to drive to some unfamiler parts of town so I'd prefer anything with NL and it didn't matter what car. He said he had a "Classic with NL and he'd need 10 minutes to clean it and gas it" - I said that was great.

Some lady went to ring me up, attempted to charge me $6/day for the D upgrade and another $11/day for the NL. I told her that was not kosher and that when a location normally offered me a choice of SUV and I took a D class car they normally didn't have a problem giving me the free upgrade to NL.

She said it was like "4 upgrades" and she couldn't do that. To which I said, "fine, I'll take whatever car you have for me today at no extra charge". She called the manager (who was getting the car ready) and he said he'd upgrade me no problem.

I don't know what their problem was today. The guy I normally see on Friday mornings and I deal with wasn't there. I have never dealt with this lady before and I was not happy with it. I rent from this HLE just about every Friday for a 3 day weekend rental... We'll see what happens next weekend when I get 3 cars (my sisters wedding weekend - we need the extra cars... being a USAA member has its perks, other USAA extra drivers are free)
Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:30 pm

The best upgrade I got was at Chicago Ohare, it also help that I rented the car for 6 straight months due to our company pre-negociated rate, it was super cheap. We were charged $650/month before tax, and it comes out to about $830 after.
Since I have status and the manager sees me there all the time, I was able to get ANY car I wanted, even off the prestiage collection lot. In the brutal Chicago winter, I was riding around in the H2. Here are a list of the car I drove in that 6 months;
H2, H3, Escalade (Worst car ever), Q7, Cadillac DTS, FX35 (This was my farvorite, they gave me the car when it has 35 miles on it)
I tried the same thing in Minnepolis, but they won't do the same deal as Chicago because they have a lot less cars.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
Well, having started the year with two great upgrades (the above TT and a Merc GL320), things have been distinctly dull with the Victoria Coach Station since....

May:
- Airport or location: London Victoria Coach Station
- Rental Car Class: Booked (Group C) Ford Focus
- Additional Options: None
- Upgraded? No - got a group C Ford Focus

June:
- Rental Car Class: Booked (Group C) Ford Focus - Additional Options: None
- Upgraded? Ish. Got moved to a Group E - e.g. Automatic Ford Focus. In fairness, it was a brand new car (delivery mileage on the clock), but in comparison to the goodies experienced earlier in the year, not as fun!

Still happy I moved to Hertz - the staff at Victoria are lovely - and the ability to queue jump as a Gold/Five Star is great
Another distinctly dull "upgrade" at Victoria Coach Station....

- Rental Car Class: Booked (Group C) Ford Focus
- Upgraded? Supposedly. Upgraded from a Ford Focus Manual 1.6 Group C, to a Ford Focus Manual 1.6 Group N

Posted in the UK sticky to find out what the difference was, but if anyone can shed any light, I'd be grateful.... Got another two rentals booked there over next month - hoping that they might return towards previous form!
Old Jul 21, 2008, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
BOS
Reserved MidSize using Hertz #1 Awards for free weekend
NeverLost
Received Infiniti M35 with NeverLost and PlatePass

Have to say PlatePass in Boston was GREAT!!!
Old Jul 25, 2008, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
LHR
VW Passat 2.0 (manual) (Grp W)
None
Hmmmm - Got VW Passat 2.0 estate (Grp I)
Went back to Gold Booth to see if they had anything else -- offered Auto version of same car, or Mondeo ... inquired about upsell: nice looking A6 in space right outside -- told UKL50 extra per day (that would add $400 extra to four-day rental). Thought better of it. Then offered A4 estate for UKL40 extra per day. Declined that too and decided with the price of petrol that my rate of UKL18.98pd would do just fine!
Old Jul 26, 2008, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
7/26 LAX
Reserved: Mazda 6 (C)
None
Got: Solara convertible. Has 27,000 miles which is a bit high in my opinion, but the car is very clean.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:00 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Skymiles Gold, Hyatt Explorist
7/27/08 LAX

Reserved: Mazda 6 (C)
None
Got: Saturn Vue '08 with 16,000 miles on it.

Well...I would prefer to get my Mazda or other small car than driving this SUV, since I wanted to save on gas.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
Posted in the UK sticky to find out what the difference was, but if anyone can shed any light, I'd be grateful.... Got another two rentals booked there over next month - hoping that they might return towards previous form!
Finally my run of "odd" upgrade luck at Victoria is over

- Rental Car Class: Booked (Group O) VW Passat Bluemotion
- Upgraded? Yes! Got a Group K Alfa Romeo 159 SW Lusso. Cracking car, very nice to drive, and very well spec'd. ^
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:23 pm

7/24: LAS HLE Location
Booked: A
Got: D - Chevy Malibu 2.4L

7/25: LAS HLE Location
Booked: A
Got: YB - Hyundai Elantra with sunroof... I asked the manager why it took them 30+ minutes for them to get this car ready and the one from yesterday ready and he said he wouldn't let it happen again. After running the rental car to and from the golf course the reaking of smoke from the car was getting to me so I stopped back in to switch out the car. He let me pick anything on the lot and since I needed the SUV this weekend I took...
Got: YL - Toyota Hylander
Old Jul 29, 2008, 3:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
PHX/Ahwatukee HLE

Out: 7/22
In: 7/24

Reserved: C (mid-size)
Received: Z (Mercury Mariner), with Sirius + NL, about 7,500 miles

I rent from this location about twice a month, and almost always get a Mustang. I was going to Tucson for a few days, and would have others in the vehicle with me, so called their office the day prior, asked for, "something with 4 doors, could be a Taurus, SUV, etc." I've gotten one of these before, it is nearly the same as the Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute. It worked for me, gas wasn't too bad (and gas was about $.30/gal less in Tucson than PHX).
Old Aug 1, 2008, 9:42 am

LAS HLE
Reserved A
None
Received: Corolla S with 9400 miles.

I was asked what car I want (the Mgr and I now "know" each other). I asked if the Camery LE parked out from was avaliable. He said he had a few Full-size reservations today, so I told him not to worry about it. I asked him what he had. He gave me a choice of 3 cobalts, corolla, mazda 3, mazda 6, and a g6. I took the Corolla S. It's quite fun to drive for a cheap car.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 12:50 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, OnePass, Mileage+, Hertz Gold
BWI
Reserved C Mazda 6 (Added free one-class upgrade coupon)
None
Received: Honda Accord LX with 13,000 miles.

A really nice car in dark brown which looked like something I would buy on my own. Unfortunately the car was not cleaned before I got it. Needed to be vacuumed and had several artifacts left behind from the prior renter.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 12:58 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
July 31 YYZ: Booked G got Volvo S60 w NL (H)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.