Hertz at CMH

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2005, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Hertz at CMH

Question... I will be arriving in CMH (MR of course) in Oct at 11:46pm, and the Hertz there closes at midnight.

Assuming that the flight is on-time, what are the chances that the station will wait at least a few minutes for me to arrive at the counter so I can get my car?

I'm a Goldmember () if that matters.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Question... I will be arriving in CMH (MR of course) in Oct at 11:46pm, and the Hertz there closes at midnight.

Assuming that the flight is on-time, what are the chances that the station will wait at least a few minutes for me to arrive at the counter so I can get my car?
I would definitely call and ask as the CMH Hertz location is a franchise and can be quirky (they rent a lot of Volkswagens, if you're interested -- apparently the person who owns the franchise is also a Columbus area VW dealer).
Old Aug 13, 2014, 5:29 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Sorry to resurrect a really old thread, but does anyone know else have extensive experience sith this location. It is a non-corporate location that seems to not give a crap about status. First off, they still have.no gold board, and play the assign a crappy car in hopes of charging for an upgrade. Additionally, they seem to ignore notes on the reservation. I have rented here a number of times and it is always the same drill.

Does anyone know if the Avis here is under the same licensing third party?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Sorry to resurrect a really old thread, but does anyone know else have extensive experience sith this location. It is a non-corporate location that seems to not give a crap about status. First off, they still have.no gold board, and play the assign a crappy car in hopes of charging for an upgrade. Additionally, they seem to ignore notes on the reservation. I have rented here a number of times and it is always the same drill.

Does anyone know if the Avis here is under the same licensing third party?
I don't know about Avis, but my experience with that location is similar to yours.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EP SPG Plat Hyatt Diamond IHG Plat Avis 1st Hertz 5* National Exec
Hey, bi-weekly CMH renter here and I tend to avoid the Hertz location.

They make you come in to pick up the keys because they don't have a gated exit like Avis/National. Due to th lack of upgrades, I never rent from them anymore either.

I rent from Avis a lot and with status I usually get either SUVs or fully loaded full size cars when renting an intermediate. They also have the select and go area but the selection is usually pretty lame. As you most undoubtedly have seen, they also have a board so you can skip the counter.

National is an other option if you are ok with GM cars. The cars are usually nice and well equipped, but they are almost all Chevys or Buicks.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by venkol
Hey, bi-weekly CMH renter here and I tend to avoid the Hertz location.

They make you come in to pick up the keys because they don't have a gated exit like Avis/National. Due to th lack of upgrades, I never rent from them anymore either.

I rent from Avis a lot and with status I usually get either SUVs or fully loaded full size cars when renting an intermediate. They also have the select and go area but the selection is usually pretty lame. As you most undoubtedly have seen, they also have a board so you can skip the counter.

National is an other option if you are ok with GM cars. The cars are usually nice and well equipped, but they are almost all Chevys or Buicks.
Thanks for the info. At Avis and National, do you know which cars are most likely to have Sirrius/XM? I know Hertz is usually the domestics.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:07 am

I have an interesting viewpoint about this. For the last two years I have been a tow truck operator in Columbus. At least once or twice a day I'm at CMH doing a roadside exchange for a rental car customer who either found one of our Famous Potholes or got in a collision, or managed to get a vehicle that shouldn't have been rented out (due for service, recall issued, expired tags, bald tires, etc). I've dealt with mostly Enterprise and Avis/Budget and the occasional Alamo/National customers and their vehicle.

Avis/Budget has a MAJOR operation at CMH. They have fresh cars coming in almost daily to their operations center. They have mechanics on site. They have bodywork people come in, dent wizard types and mobile auto glass companies. If I needed to rent a vehicle in Columbus it would be from them, even at a higher cost. And it is a slightly higher cost but not by much, maybe ten to fifteen percent above Alamo (who is usually cheapest).

Enterprise has absolutely NO operations at CMH. They have cars, but it is a rental only location. No service bays. No storage lot. When Enterprise cars break down or get wrecked, I have to follow a different routine from every other rental company. If an Enterprise customer needs a roadside exchange I go to the airport, walk up to the kiosk in the parking garage, and they give me a car. I drive it around to where I'm permitted to park my tow truck, load it up, and go to the customer's disablement location. When I get there I swap cars with the customer, and they go on their way. I load up the disabled car and absolutely do NOT go back to the airport. They'll tell me which dealer, service station (usually Firestone), or body shop the car needs to go to, and I take it there. Every other rental company has somewhere on-airport for me to take a car. Which is great if I have another rental exchange lined up. Not so great when it's Enterprise and they want the car to go to a VW dealer on the far southwest side of town and I have to go all the way back to the airport for the next one.

Hertz has a different towing company do their tows, they don't call into a national call center to get their towing done. The cars are, as has been said, often Volkswagen Jetta/Passat. I do like Hertz and used them often in Texas when I needed a rental, because a bodyshop HLE was less than two miles from my house and they'd always offer to come pick me up. Hertz in Columbus I have no experience with because they don't go through Signature/Agero/Allstate. But from what I have heard, they are a little different.

I will say the Avis/Budget in CMH is worth dealing with. The people in the garage and at the counter and at their service center are all awesome and know what they are doing. Even the lot techs and porters enjoy what they do. I'm usually the sourest person around when I'm there and that's saying something. If there's a problem vehicle, they will exchange it. Counter time is kept to a minimum. They have a gate and they check every car that comes in or goes out. They don't lose cars. They have the Preferred area to exchange or upgrade your vehicle. I like the idea of renting a midsize car for a longer trip and going in and picking up a Journey, a Sienna, a Maxima or a Camaro instead. I've been impressed at every turn dealing with them and frankly, I wish they'd call me for every single roadside exchange. They've told me the same, but the national call center assigns the tows and roadside calls and they have zero control over it.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Any recent experience?

How on earth is an airport Hertz not a corporate branch?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Despite no responses to my question I decided to chance it. I did a 2-day rental at Hertz CMH as a President's Circle customer. No text message or email message notification of my assigned car.

After following the signs from baggage claim I arrived and saw a sign telling gold member to go inside to the desk, which was fully staffed and devoid of any customers when I arrived.

I booked an intermediate class and received a 2018 Infiniti Q50 with 24,000 miles on it. It had satellite radio, but Sirius XM wasn't activated. I asked about getting another car and was told unless I paid a $15 surcharge they had nothing for me, despite lots of Dodge Charger, Chrysler 300, and Chevrolet Impala sedans sitting there.

The Q50 was fine, but I prefer the Chrysler 300.

I booked through Delta so I at least get some miles out of this rental, as CMH is amazingly a non-corporate Hertz franchisee -- meaning no Hertz points.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Despite no responses to my question I decided to chance it. I did a 2-day rental at Hertz CMH as a President's Circle customer. No text message or email message notification of my assigned car.

After following the signs from baggage claim I arrived and saw a sign telling gold member to go inside to the desk, which was fully staffed and devoid of any customers when I arrived.

I booked an intermediate class and received a 2018 Infiniti Q50 with 24,000 miles on it. It had satellite radio, but Sirius XM wasn't activated. I asked about getting another car and was told unless I paid a $15 surcharge they had nothing for me, despite lots of Dodge Charger, Chrysler 300, and Chevrolet Impala sedans sitting there.

The Q50 was fine, but I prefer the Chrysler 300.

I booked through Delta so I at least get some miles out of this rental, as CMH is amazingly a non-corporate Hertz franchisee -- meaning no Hertz points.
Obviously they did not know that you're a Very Important General Counsel
Old Dec 17, 2020, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
I was shocked when booking a rental to see that Hertz KCMH is an independent licensee. This has to be the only major US airport where the Hertz station isn't corporate-owned? Truly bizarre. I rent from some pretty small airports (much smaller than CMH) from time to time and don't think I've ever come across a Hertz licensee at a US airport.

The good news is that Class G (Premium) was cheaper than any other category for my rental date. Will be interesting to see what the Hertz CMH licensee scrounges up for a PC member with a G reservation. Haven't driven a Passat in a few years (I saw the commentary upthread about the location being owned by a VW dealer) but remember Passats being very nice cars. I had two different Jettas from Hertz this fall and was not impressed.

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
as CMH is amazingly a non-corporate Hertz franchisee -- meaning no Hertz points.
Huh? No Hertz points? Can anyone confirm?
Old Dec 18, 2020, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Herb687
I was shocked when booking a rental to see that Hertz KCMH is an independent licensee. This has to be the only major US airport where the Hertz station isn't corporate-owned? Truly bizarre. I rent from some pretty small airports (much smaller than CMH) from time to time and don't think I've ever come across a Hertz licensee at a US airport.
A franchisee called Overland West operates most of the Hertz airport locations in the northern Rockies, including Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, North Dakota, and South Dakota. They've also got a couple in Washington. Boise and Spokane are the biggest ones. And the Overland West locations are much, much better than corporate locations.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by m907
A franchisee called Overland West operates most of the Hertz airport locations in the northern Rockies, including Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, North Dakota, and South Dakota. They've also got a couple in Washington. Boise and Spokane are the biggest ones. And the Overland West locations are much, much better than corporate locations.
Interesting. I've read about Overland West on this forum but didn't realize they were at airports as big as BOI and GEG. Haven't been to GEG but I consider BOI a mid-sized airport, not small. I don't ever recall reading about issues with Gold Plus Rewards points at those locations so am I safe to assume that Hertz points post on rentals from these US airport franchisee locations (and CMH) same as they do at corporate stations?
Old Dec 19, 2020, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687
Interesting. I've read about Overland West on this forum but didn't realize they were at airports as big as BOI and GEG. Haven't been to GEG but I consider BOI a mid-sized airport, not small. I don't ever recall reading about issues with Gold Plus Rewards points at those locations so am I safe to assume that Hertz points post on rentals from these US airport franchisee locations (and CMH) same as they do at corporate stations?
Yes, at least with Overland West. I've always received points from rentals at their locations.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by m907
I agree, I will take a franchise location any day over a corporate location. Although, these independent locations do not care whether you are a President Circle or 5 star and there is no UC, the customer service feels better. The cars I have received on a full size reservation are actually full size instead of Hertz trying to stick me on a Ford EcoSport saying its an SUV.

All Hertz airport locations in Arkansas are owned by Carcotrans, an independent licensee. I have received a mid level Honda Accord, Lincoln etc in Arkansas. Also, I have received all points with bonus as expected. It could be that back in the day, they didn't award points on non corporate location rentals which is not the case these days.
m907 and Auto Enthusiast like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.