Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is Hertz so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2005, 7:11 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Expensive? I have several weekends booked at GSO for $11.44 per day inclusive.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I don't find Hertz to be expensive at all.

I rented a "Class A" in PBI last month (that's the high period in FLL-PBI) and was upgraded to a "Class B". I paid $200.96 for a full week, including all taxes and LDW (my credit card covered liability insurance).

A fellow F/Ter did a search for me and found that Dollar was less expensive --but he failed to include the LDW. Hertz not only was the best price available but as a Gold member I didn't have to go through the hassles at rental time.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vatraveler
Expensive? ...$11.44 per day...
Originally Posted by Dovster
I don't find Hertz to be expensive at all.
My question was about a specific scenario, MOB in Sept, when Hertz were quoting a price nearly double that of its competitors.

YMMV
Old Jun 26, 2015, 4:17 pm

d-tired of it all

absolutely correct! hertz is way too expensive! my wife went through AAA and got what they call their AAA discount. they charged us 4 times as much as everyone else. i didn't know at the time she was getting rooked but after checking the internet it was obvious that they are way more expensive than anyone else. i hope the word gets out and they go out of business for this high way robbery. yes it is our fault but still they don't even come close to the others and i can't see how they stay in business good service or not. and by the way they weren't better than any body else!!!!
Old Jun 26, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by dsharp
absolutely correct! hertz is way too expensive! my wife went through AAA and got what they call their AAA discount. they charged us 4 times as much as everyone else. i didn't know at the time she was getting rooked but after checking the internet it was obvious that they are way more expensive than anyone else. i hope the word gets out and they go out of business for this high way robbery. yes it is our fault but still they don't even come close to the others and i can't see how they stay in business good service or not. and by the way they weren't better than any body else!!!!
You dug up a thread that hasn't had a post in it for 10 years as your first post?

You add no details; location, dates, car class, comparisons to other agencies for your rant.

I am driving a Buick Lacrosse for $94 for a week from LAX Hertz right now...on an AAA CDP & PC. I often get great rates from Hertz...especially with AAA rates...most times lower than all the top rental car agencies.
isiegel3 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:31 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Originally Posted by dsharp
hertz is way too expensive! my wife went through AAA and got what they call their AAA discount. they charged us 4 times as much as everyone else.
Originally Posted by CalItalian
You dug up a thread that hasn't had a post in it for 10 years as your first post?
Here's the thing, you Google "Why is Hertz so expensive?" and this thread is hit #1. So that's what's on dhsarp's mind, and he adds to the discussion.

It used to be against guidelines to not dig up old threads. Now it is no longer a part of the FT rules.

So my call is, no harm, no foul, welcome to FlyerTalk, dsharp. I hope you find it a useful tool.

- Rut Dog
Old Jun 28, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Well, apart from the missing detail, I think there's also missing grammar, punctuation and nuance.

The truth is that every market, every location is different. The ALB (Albany) location, for one example, is giving me three weeks for $380 all-in next month. I'm not sure if it ever really gets better than that, in season at least.

I've also often had luck with the weekend pricing at locations that primarily serve business renters during the week.

And, like me, you could always branch out and try Alamo. They're pretty good, too.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Plus there's also a missing return visit to find out the answer to dsharp's question.

But my answer is that it isn't expensive. My latest two bookings, done directly with Hertz, were both cheaper than going through one of the broker sites - and I get miles thrown in.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:00 pm

...... Enterprise Car R Customer Service at Atlanta Hartsfied-Jackson did it for me

I had been an Enterprise customer for a very long time maintaining their Premium tier status but man, I returned to Atlanta airport twice and each time ran into just unparalleled bad customer service. The first was about using a debit card, which they allow put don't educate these Atlanta based staff because I have had no issue anywhere else. The second time was I couldn't use my return flight as proof for their criteria to allow me to get a car plus the same debit card issue I had the previous 2 weeks. I left and went to Avis count and successfully rented a car. I have been using them and Hertz on my trips to Atlanta.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 11:48 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Given that this thread is old and out of date, I'll go ahead and close it.

Jason8612 Hertz Mod
FlyinHawaiian likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.