Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Lower Point Requirements for Awards - Effective Jan 10

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lower Point Requirements for Awards - Effective Jan 10

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2004, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Thumbs up Lower Point Requirements for Awards - Effective Jan 10

I just received an award via reg mail.
In the cover letter from Hertz it states:

"A reduced Point structure will be effective January 10th, 2005. Any redemption submitted from December 1, 2004 to the effective date of the change will be provided a credit reflecting the difference in Point values. "
Old Dec 31, 2004, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Excellent on the latter point, as I had a bunch of points expiring on the 17th so I did some one-day awards (assuming they drop below 500).

The one point per one dollar earning ratio for ZE1 points, coupled with some of the insane redemption levels (like 18K for a weekend prestige rental) made me leery of booking points, since the value is just not there. I mean miles are about as worthless, but it is a good way to keep my "orphan" balances alive.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 7:15 am

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
interesting! likewise, i also burned a couple of 500-pointers to use some expiring points.

my guess would be that the 500-point one-day award will not change, but that some longer awards will change to be more in line. (currently, a two day award is more than double the cost of a one day award. kinda silly, really..)

i'd love to see the weekly off-peak or SUV awards come down a bit -- i've got needs for both in 2005.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
The one point per one dollar earning ratio for ZE1 points, coupled with some of the insane redemption levels (like 18K for a weekend prestige rental) made me leery of booking points, since the value is just not there. I mean miles are about as worthless, but it is a good way to keep my "orphan" balances alive.
It seems to me that, in New York, ZE1 for 500 point one day rentals is a good deal when the one-day cost is $80 or more--anyone find a more efficient use
Old Jan 4, 2005, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
Excellent on the latter point, as I had a bunch of points expiring on the 17th so I did some one-day awards (assuming they drop below 500).

I had never noticed that 18,000 point prestige award. Yikes!!

For normal awards, I find the points to be very valuable. They work great when you need 1-day rentals where Priceline and the best CDP/PC combos aren't much help. They work best at downtown locations where no competing agency is offering any car on at a cheap rate. I have never had a capacity-control problem with using my certificates.

Oddly enough, they've upgraded a couple of my most recent free 1-day rentals to the Jaguar. That does not suck.

My guess is that the reduction in points is to fix obvious problems with the 2+ day certificates. Maybe the certs will be 500, 900, 1400, etc.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:22 pm

New Rates Posted!

Looks like Hertz has published their new point levels -- looks like a very good improvement over the old scheme...

Reduced Points, Better Selection and a Bonus!
We recently reduced the amount of Points needed for a Non-Peak Free Day, but we didn't stop there! Most of the #1 Awards have been reduced. . We've also expanded the car classes available on them, too.

Highlights of the program changes:

* Improved Point Values
* Easy-to-understand Point structure
* Expanded Choices on Special Equipment Vehicles
* Select a Luxury, SUV, Minivan or a Convertible for 2 or 3 days or for a Weekend or a Weekly rental

* Credits will be given to those members who redeemed in December and January for higher Point values.

..............(Non-Peak)..(Peak)
1 Day...............500...1,000
2 Days............1,000...2,000
3 Days............1,500...3,000
4 Days............2,000...4,000
1 Weekend.........1,800...3,600
1 Week............2,500...5,000
2 Days Specialty..1,600...3,200
3 Days Specialty..2,400...4,800
Specialty Weekend.2,800...5,600
Specialty Week....4,000...8,000
Prestige Weekend..3,200...6,400
Prestige Week.....5,000...10,000

http://offers.hertzgold.com/offer.aspx?offerid=88

Last edited by LoneRanger; Jan 12, 2005 at 5:06 am Reason: Fixed Chart
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:25 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Prestige week -> 5000 pts ^ ^
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:58 pm

LoneRanger's chart is backwards... the lower point requirement are for non-peak, of course.

Anyone know what the defintion of a "weekend", in terms of an award, is? is that Saturday/Sunday? Or Friday/Sat/Sun? or.... FOUR days??
Old Jan 12, 2005, 5:52 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Hertz must be defining their weekend awards as up to 4 days. As early as Thursay pickup with a Monday dropoff.

I like the reduced specialty car awards. I wonder what cars types are fair game for that award. Only thing I don't like is the lack of a 1 day specialty award.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
I like the reduced specialty car awards. I wonder what cars types are fair game for that award. Only thing I don't like is the lack of a 1 day specialty award.
I think it looks like specialty is "Luxury, SUV, Minivan or a Convertible"

I'm surprised that SUVs like the Escape would cost more than a premium sized sedan.

I wished they had one-two day Prestige awards as well.

Last edited by Tummy; Jan 12, 2005 at 9:58 am
Old Jan 15, 2005, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Hertz PC, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Hertz must be defining their weekend awards as up to 4 days. As early as Thursay pickup with a Monday dropoff.

Be careful with the weekend awards as many of the agents are not familiar with the terms. I found out the hard way - through my wallet on an extra weekend day charge of $120 in NYC! The allow you to have the car any time from noon Thursday to noon Monday, for a maximum of 36 hours throughout this timeframe. If you hold the car any longer (well, any longer than 37 hours) you will pay for the extra day.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 5:32 pm

Programs: I fly UA, drive Hertz and sleep around...
I figured out long ago that Hertz points were so low as to be a waste of time. I usually try to acquire Marriott points or something else instead.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Good to know that I am not the only one who thought Hertz was giving a wee bit too little on the ZE1 points. Then, I'd hate to have to figure out which locations participated and which did not

So Mr. Hertz, GO FISH!

Originally Posted by CateyBeth
I figured out long ago that Hertz points were so low as to be a waste of time. I usually try to acquire Marriott points or something else instead.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by CateyBeth
These points - moreso even than hotel points - have value that completely depends on your earning/burning patterns. To some, ZE1 points will be worthless. If you are a weekend renter, it's hard to get excited about hoarding points to earn free days that anybody can get for $10-15/day with the right codes. To others, they are the best thing going...an easy way to score free 1-day standalone rentals that otherwise cost a lot of money no matter how you slice it.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 2:25 pm

Programs: NWA - Plat...Hilton - Diamond
These points - moreso even than hotel points - have value that completely depends on your earning/burning patterns. To some, ZE1 points will be worthless. If you are a weekend renter, it's hard to get excited about hoarding points to earn free days that anybody can get for $10-15/day with the right codes. To others, they are the best thing going...an easy way to score free 1-day standalone rentals that otherwise cost a lot of money no matter how you slice it.

i don't know....i fly nw and in about 2 years i've gotten 300k miles and 6 extra free tickets flying mainly in the midwest and signing up for every little program they have. i rent from hertz every single time.

i have earned enough miles to give away 7 tickets and still have 180k miles in my account. in that same time i've earned a whopping 2k in hertz points. whoopty-freakin'-do. what can i do with that? a free weekend. yay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.