I'd like to get compensation from Hertz.

Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:50 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Posts: 4
I'd like to get compensation from Hertz.

I'm currently visiting France. I had booked a car rental through Hertz and made full payment at the time of booking. My scheduled pickup was at Paris Montparnasse at 10 AM on March 28th.

With a day full of plans, I arrived at the Hertz Montparnasse office around 9:50 AM. However, during the pickup process, I was informed that I was on Hertz's "Do Not Rent" list, which meant I was unable to rent a car. I was completely unaware of this and had no idea why I was blacklisted. The local agent advised me to contact the Hertz office in the US, as the blacklist originated there.

Due to the time difference of six hours between Paris and Oklahoma, where the blacklist department is located, I found myself in a predicament. It was 4 AM Central Time, with the office not opening until 8 AM. This left me with a four-hour wait, in cold, rainy, and windy conditions, without a place to sit or a way to charge my phone, and surrounded by numerous bags, as we were on a family vacation.

After an excruciating wait, at 8 AM Central Time, I finally got through to the blacklist department. Astonishingly, there was no issue with my record; it was a mistake on Hertz's part that led to my wrongful blacklisting.

A brief call later, my name was removed from the blacklist, and I was able to secure a rental car, but by then, it was already 2:23 PM local time, and the ordeal had significantly disrupted our family vacation plans, leaving one of my children feeling cold due to the harsh weather conditions.

This experience was not only distressing but also resulted in a loss of valuable vacation time. I am seeking compensation for the inconvenience and disruption caused by this mistake.
Could you share your idea how to do ? Thank you in advance.
dongrae is offline  
Old Mar 29, 2024, 11:47 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 236
First try contacting their Customer Service, especially if you are President's Circle or Platinum etc. you may get some kind of response or credit. Beyond that you can pursue arbitration or other legal proceedings.
m907 and Auto Enthusiast like this.
glostix is offline  
Old Mar 29, 2024, 2:26 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 17,192
Welcome to FT!

Not the first recent report of Hertz accepting rentals for someone (mistakingly) getting placed on the DNR list.

Personally I would probably have looked for alternative arrangements instead of waiting four hours for Hertz to open up.
notquiteaff is offline  
Old Mar 29, 2024, 3:43 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 12,514
Hertz does not check DNR list when you make reservations. It is checked upon pick up. In fairness it is not practical to check DNR list when booking. Someone can be added or removed from DNR list at any time while reservations can be made months in advance.


How to get removed from DNR
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
TerryK is online now  
Old Mar 29, 2024, 5:13 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 17,192
Originally Posted by TerryK
Hertz does not check DNR list when you make reservations. It is checked upon pick up. In fairness it is not practical to check DNR list when booking. Someone can be added or removed from DNR list at any time while reservations can be made months in advance.
Not practical? I disragree. I think the OP would have found it useful to know ahead of time that thee was an issue, and surely that could be done.

If Hertz was interested in implementing an efficient and transparent process, they could notify the renter when they get added to the list. They could decline new reservation for people who currently are on the list. They could cancel existing reservations if the DNR is non-reversible, or proactively work with the renter to get the condition removed to preserve existing reservations. Doing nothing is obviously the easiest for Hertz, but also the least helpful thing for renters like the OP. But we are talking about Hertz, the company that reported hundreds of vehicles as stolen when they werent.
notquiteaff is offline  
Old Mar 29, 2024, 5:59 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 12,514
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Not practical? I disragree. I think the OP would have found it useful to know ahead of time that thee was an issue, and surely that could be done....
What if OP was put on DNR list after he/she made the reservation?

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
............they could notify the renter when they get added to the list. They could decline new reservation for people who currently are on the list. They could cancel existing reservations if the DNR is non-reversible, or proactively work with the renter to get the condition removed to preserve existing reservations........
All sounds great yet that's asking a lot from the antiquated Hertz computer.​​​​​​​
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
TerryK is online now  
Old Mar 29, 2024, 6:01 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 17,192
Originally Posted by TerryK
What if OP was put on DNR list after he/she made the reservation?
they could notify the renter when they get added to the list. They could cancel existing reservations if the DNR is non-reversible, or proactively work with the renter to get the condition removed to preserve existing reservations.
rylan, jybrick and Auto Enthusiast like this.
notquiteaff is offline  
Old Mar 29, 2024, 6:11 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: AA Plat Pro, National Exec Elite, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 132
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Not practical? I disragree. I think the OP would have found it useful to know ahead of time that thee was an issue, and surely that could be done.

If Hertz was interested in implementing an efficient and transparent process, they could notify the renter when they get added to the list. They could decline new reservation for people who currently are on the list. They could cancel existing reservations if the DNR is non-reversible, or proactively work with the renter to get the condition removed to preserve existing reservations. Doing nothing is obviously the easiest for Hertz, but also the least helpful thing for renters like the OP. But we are talking about Hertz, the company that reported hundreds of vehicles as stolen when they werent.
I agree with this. I was erroneously placed on National's list, and the app would not let me complete a reservation, so I was able to call up their DNR unit and correct the matter quickly. Hertz can easily do that as well.
wm47 is offline  
Old Mar 29, 2024, 8:39 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Posts: 4
OP Here
​​​​​​When I called the Do Not Rent (DNR) department to discuss the situation, they told me I had been placed on the blacklist back in 2019, nearly five years ago. In all that time, I never received any notification about being blacklisted. Had I been informed, I would have taken steps to address the issue sooner. It's unreasonable to expect that a customer should have to verify whether they are on a company's blacklist every time they engage with the service. Ideally, my reservation should not have been accepted, or I should have been unable to complete full payment if I was on the blacklist. This would have alerted me to the issue, allowing for a resolution in advance. However, I was not notified in any manner about this status.
Auto Enthusiast and rylan like this.
dongrae is offline  
Old Mar 30, 2024, 8:45 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 17,192
Originally Posted by dongrae
. or I should have been unable to complete full payment if I was on the blacklist.
I missed that part in your OP. So they accepted payment for a service they werent intending to provide? Wow.
notquiteaff is offline  
Old Mar 30, 2024, 1:51 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3,762
Are you an American or European?
m907 is offline  
Old Mar 30, 2024, 2:44 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Juneau, Alaska.
Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Posts: 15,910
Originally Posted by dongrae
OP Here
​​​​​​When I called the Do Not Rent (DNR) department to discuss the situation, they told me I had been placed on the blacklist back in 2019, nearly five years ago. In all that time, I never received any notification about being blacklisted. Had I been informed, I would have taken steps to address the issue sooner. It's unreasonable to expect that a customer should have to verify whether they are on a company's blacklist every time they engage with the service. Ideally, my reservation should not have been accepted, or I should have been unable to complete full payment if I was on the blacklist. This would have alerted me to the issue, allowing for a resolution in advance. However, I was not notified in any manner about this status.
Have you had any rentals since 2019?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
jerry a. laska is offline  
Old Mar 30, 2024, 11:37 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by m907
Are you an American or European?
American

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Have you had any rentals since 2019?
I typically used Sixt for my car rental needs. The only time I used Hertz was during a trip to Niagara Falls in 2019. It's not that I only traveled with rental cars once in 2019; rather, I generally didn't choose Hertz. The reason I opted for Hertz for this trip to France was that most rental cars, including those from Sixt, were electric, and there were limited options for gasoline vehicles.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 31, 2024 at 4:17 am Reason: Consecutive posts merged
dongrae is offline  
Old Mar 31, 2024, 2:46 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SAT
Programs: Marriott LTP, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Delta Plat, Hertz PC
Posts: 765
Originally Posted by dongrae
OP Here
​​​​​​When I called the Do Not Rent (DNR) department to discuss the situation, they told me I had been placed on the blacklist back in 2019, nearly five years ago. In all that time, I never received any notification about being blacklisted.
Originally Posted by dongrae
The only time I used Hertz was during a trip to Niagara Falls in 2019.
Something happened on that trip in 2019 to put you on the list. Maybe an unpaid ticket, unpaid damage, etc. I am pretty sure that this isn't just a coincidence.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
zdcatc12 is offline  
Old Mar 31, 2024, 6:16 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by zdcatc12
Something happened on that trip in 2019 to put you on the list. Maybe an unpaid ticket, unpaid damage, etc. I am pretty sure that this isn't just a coincidence.
I hope you'll take the time to read my posting CAREFULLY. I was listed on the DNR (Do Not Rent) list and wondered what the issue could be. Sitting in a cafe and connecting my laptop to a hotspot, I looked it up. The reasons for being on such a list could include (1) not paying rental fees or damage (2) having unpaid tickets, or (3) being a rude customer. Considering these, I figured reasons 1 and 3 wouldn't apply to me, which left me wondering about reason 2 - perhaps there was an unpaid ticket I wasn't aware of. Eventually, I managed to contact the DNR department at 8 AM Oklahoma time, only to find out there was "NOTHING" on my record. Therefore, my name could be immediately removed from the DNR list. Had there been an unpaid ticket, I would have certainly settled it and wouldn't be mentioning compensation now. After all, it would have been an oversight on my part. However, the fact remains that I had no unpaid tickets, no missed rental fees, and my record was clean.The fact is that there were absolutely no mistakes or omissions on my part.

Additionally, if I were on that list, the reservation should have been denied. However I could make a reservation and paid in full in advance.

Last edited by dongrae; Mar 31, 2024 at 7:00 am Reason: add
dongrae is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.