Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz CEO Stephen Scherr is history

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2024, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by joeyday
I am as environmentally conscious as anyone, but I must say, the EVs are a particularly bad fit for business car rentals. Typically, I fly somewhere, rent a car to go to several back to back meetings, and then rush back to the airport to fly somewhere else. There is no time to find a charging station and twiddle my thumbs waiting for the battery to charge. The few times that I have been rented EVs when reserving a regular car, you have to make sure they aren't banging you with the ridiculous charging fee. So all in all, not a great fit.
That EV charging fee would make it a great fit for a rental business, don't you think?

Except that maybe they need more real estate to keep the cars parked while charging.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joeyday
I am as environmentally conscious as anyone, but I must say, the EVs are a particularly bad fit for business car rentals. Typically, I fly somewhere, rent a car to go to several back to back meetings, and then rush back to the airport to fly somewhere else. There is no time to find a charging station and twiddle my thumbs waiting for the battery to charge. The few times that I have been rented EVs when reserving a regular car, you have to make sure they aren't banging you with the ridiculous charging fee. So all in all, not a great fit.
Yeah, but if it's a Tesla supercharger, it shouldn't be much harder to find than a gas station, and probably adds only an extra 10-15 minutes.
If non-Tesla, I understand it may be much less convenient.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:37 pm

Only a finance guy would do something as stupid as flood a rental fleet with EVs. Finance guys can't build anything; they extract everything of value and use virtue signaling to distract from the fact they're ruining the company.
DJ_Iceman and xienon like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by m907
Only a finance guy would do something as stupid as flood a rental fleet with EVs. Finance guys can't build anything; they extract everything of value and use virtue signaling to distract from the fact they're ruining the company.
Yep, as a finance guy I'm fully self aware of how we just live in excel and companies are just numbers in a spreadsheet to be tweaked around.

Another problem with Hertz is for the last decade, they keep on hiring CEO/COO's with zero auto/rental car experience. New CEO was last at GM cruise (where he was fired as a result of an investigation into the cover-up of a crash with a pedestrian in SF https://www.automotivedive.com/news/...probes/702549/) and the current COO came from Carrier, an air conditioning manufacturer... Surely there are some senior people at Enterprise they can poach.
DJ_Iceman and Auto Enthusiast like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.