Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Trying to Rent Hertz Car With Points at AYQ With Unlimited Kilometers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2023, 11:08 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

I want to rent a vehicle for three days next month in Australia at AYQ, which is Ayers Rock Airport in Australia. The lowest rate I have secured is a Pay Now rate of $439.93 in United States dollars with @AutoSlash, which is with Dollar for a compact SUV and unlimited kilometers. That is still rather expensive for three days; but it was the best rate that could be found. I can cancel this rate up to 48 hours prior to the time when I am scheduled to pick up the vehicle.

I searched at Hertz; and I realized that I can redeem a total of 2,100 Hertz Gold Rewards points for the rental of up to an FCAR for three days. However, the rental has a total limit of 300 kilometers, with $0.25 in Australian dollars for every extra kilometer. The drive from AYQ to Kings Canyon will be at least 303 kilometers one way. I figure 400 extra kilometers will cost an additional 100 Australian dollars; but I will round it up to 100 United States dollars, which is still much less expensive than $439.93 with Dollar through AutoSlash.

I tried to see what would be different if I tried booking a reservation through Hertz.com.au; but interestingly, the rate was $0.28 in Australian dollars for every extra kilometer.

Is there a way — either via CDP or some other codes or coupons — in which I can redeem Hertz Gold Plus Rewards points to get unlimited kilometers on the rental vehicle instead of being limited to only 300 kilometers?

One side note is that Hertz wants to charge weekday redemptions of Gold Plus Rewards points instead of weekend redemptions, as at least one day of the rental will be on a weekend. One can redeem 700 Hertz Gold Plus Rewards for rental vehicles in Australia on weekdays and 550 Hertz Gold Plus Rewards on weekend days...
Old Dec 24, 2023, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am not aware of any unlimited kilometre rates at Ayers Rock Airport and will be limited to 100km per day regardless

I can't find a day with an FCAR to confirm price, but if you join Defcom, you can rent a Fullsize(D) Toyota Camry Sedan or similar (DCAR) for AUD84.89 a day for a pay later rate,, which comes to AUD254.79 for 3 days. plus 25c per km over - points bookings should only allow groups A, B, H, C, S or D anyway

It costs $28.50 for 1 year's associate membership or $50 for 5 years associate membership - join at https://www.defcom.com.au/membership_am.html ( anyone is eligible to become a member ). You will then be entitled to use the DEFCOM CDP

Total price then comes to AUD283.20 plus $100 for the excess Km - or about USD260

The DEFCOM rate applies across Australia - the location fees vary by location but base rate stays the same

Not sure why AYQ is not offering weekend rates
jizen likes this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Dec 24, 2023 at 12:14 pm
Old Dec 25, 2023, 11:22 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I am not aware of any unlimited kilometre rates at Ayers Rock Airport and will be limited to 100km per day regardless
Rentalcars.com claims to offer Hertz vehicles with unlimited kilometers at AYQ — but rates start at $533.73 for an economy car for three days.

Dollar also only offers 100 kilometers per day; but the rate found by @AutoSlash is for unlimited kilometers.

I can't find a day with an FCAR to confirm price, but if you join Defcom, you can rent a Fullsize(D) Toyota Camry Sedan or similar (DCAR) for AUD84.89 a day for a pay later rate,, which comes to AUD254.79 for 3 days. plus 25c per km over - points bookings should only allow groups A, B, H, C, S or D anyway

It costs $28.50 for 1 year's associate membership or $50 for 5 years associate membership - join at https://www.defcom.com.au/membership_am.html ( anyone is eligible to become a member ). You will then be entitled to use the DEFCOM CDP

Total price then comes to AUD283.20 plus $100 for the excess Km - or about USD260

The DEFCOM rate applies across Australia - the location fees vary by location but base rate stays the same
I appreciate that. If I had no Hertz Gold Plus rewards points to redeem, I would definitely consider that option.

Not sure why AYQ is not offering weekend rates
I am not sure either.

I suppose I could always contact Hertz about it after the rental; but that would likely be a waste of my time...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.