Wiki Posts
Search

Best redemption - enough for a single day

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2023, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Best redemption - enough for a single day

I have accrued 1200 points.
My last rental was $100 for 3 days so I did not redeem.

When is a good time to redeem - or should I wait to collect more points?
Seems 1 day would cost 950pts!

Last time, I rented free for 2 or 3 days in total!
I earn points on personal travel. No work travel anymore!
Old Nov 14, 2023, 4:02 pm

It's amazing (to me) how after applying a "free day" how much remains to pay!
Old Nov 15, 2023, 12:40 am

Hertz constantly devalues reward points without any announcement.
You may want to check the calendar first for blackout dates at your rental locations.
And if you always get a great deal like $100 for 3 days, then save the points for adrenaline/prestige or one-way rentals.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by jizen
Hertz constantly devalues reward points without any announcement.
You may want to check the calendar first for blackout dates at your rental locations.
And if you always get a great deal like $100 for 3 days, then save the points for adrenaline/prestige or one-way rentals.
this. If there’s one thing I’ve learned about travel rewards – they are most valuable as soon as you earn them. With the constant devaluation by programs, they are never going to increase in value.
Old Nov 19, 2023, 9:25 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
Reward rentals are most valuable in overpriced markets. For example, in any New York City airport.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 12:06 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Your mileage may vary, but one day rentals aren't the better option for Hertz point rentals. One way rentals continue to be a sweet spot for Hertz point rentals, as noted. Personally a weekly rental from an Untimate Collection location is of value. As I have Presidents Circle status I can book a standard and subsequently pick any car from Presidents Circle.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 7:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
I'm doing a one-way this weekend from AGS-PHL. Cash price would have been $350. It is 1900 points. As hard as they are to use, once I saw this, I jumped on it.

Last edited by zdcatc12; Nov 21, 2023 at 6:35 pm Reason: Typo
Old Nov 21, 2023, 8:23 am

and what was your net cost after applying the points?
Old Nov 21, 2023, 6:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by randix
and what was your net cost after applying the points?
If this is reference my post above. Right now it shows $44, of which $39 of that is sales tax. Last time I used points, it showed tax initially also, but I ended up not getting charged, so I am hoping the net for this one will be around $5. I'll post this weekend after I return when I know how much it actually was.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 7:30 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
The tricky part with all-points rental is you don’t get credit card insurance coverage, while adding the daily fee for insurance negates the free rental part completely.
To initiate CC coverage you need to charge that rental to the card. A free day / week show up as a coupon deduction. Personally, I either add one paid day or ask for a paid upgrade during pick-up. That way the insurance is triggered (confirmed that in a call with AmEx a few years ago)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.