Wiki Posts
Search

Rate changed on confirm reservation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2023, 6:49 pm
jxd
Original Poster

Rate changed on confirm reservation

I have a booking for 2 days and when I booked it, it shows a total of $110 (pay at counter) for 2 days rental. I have the confirmation showing that in my email. Few days later, when I checked my reservation online, it shows $300 for 2 days! Question is, will I be charged $110 or $300 at the counter? TIA
Old Mar 20, 2023, 11:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Does the confirmation email state the the rate is guaranteed or not guaranteed?
If the former, you should be ok, otherwise I expect that you will be charged the higher rate. Was this a corporate rate? if so, you might want to check with your company whether it has changed its agreement with Hertz / ended it
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 11:21 pm
jxd
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Does the confirmation email state the the rate is guaranteed or not guaranteed?
If the former, you should be ok, otherwise I expect that you will be charged the higher rate. Was this a corporate rate? if so, you might want to check with your company whether it has changed its agreement with Hertz / ended it
It just says TOTAL CAD 110 and Due at Time of rental CAD 110. There's a small footnote that says "NOTE: There may be discrepancies between charge detail amounts and totals. Total amounts are correct."

And it's not a corporate rate.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by jxd
It just says TOTAL CAD 110 and Due at Time of rental CAD 110. There's a small footnote that says "NOTE: There may be discrepancies between charge detail amounts and totals. Total amounts are correct."

And it's not a corporate rate.
Above that note does it say

"Rate is guaranteed. Taxes, fees and extras, if not included in the Rate, are subject to change. "

That is directly above that discrepencies note in my upcoming reservation
Old Mar 21, 2023, 5:51 am
jxd
Original Poster

Above that note does it say

"Rate is guaranteed. Taxes, fees and extras, if not included in the Rate, are subject to change. "

That is directly above that discrepencies note in my upcoming reservation
No it doesn't. On my booking confirmation on hertz.com, it says 'rate not guaranteed'. But that wasn't on my booking before, and neither was it on the email confirmation.

The odd thing about this reservation was that a few days after I booked it, I got an error when trying to view my reservation so I called hertz reservation and the agent said it's odd that there is no rate associated with my booking and theres nothing he can do about it, but he said to bring my email confirmation to the counter when picking up the vehicle and they would honor the rate. That was before the new rate of CAD$300 appearing in my reservation.

Called hertz again today after the CAD$300 rate showed up and the first lady was extremely unhelpful she just said CAD$300 was what she sees in the system, period. She said to ignore my confirmation email. I asked her what was the confirmation email for and she couldn't answer that and just repeated what she said. HUCA and got another guy on the phone, was slightly more helpful, he said to bring my confirmation email to the pick up counter and see what they can do about it. I told him I didn't want to risk it, if they don't honor the rate I'm not paying 3 times the amount that I booked for. He told me to email hertz and that's what I've done. Haven't heard back yet.

Been a .... show so far.

I've got a second reservation for 12 days that has the 'guaranteed rate' note on the reservation so at least that reservation is safe... I hope!
Auto Enthusiast and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jxd
No it doesn't. On my booking confirmation on hertz.com, it says 'rate not guaranteed'. But that wasn't on my booking before, and neither was it on the email confirmation.
Ah, so you booked a rate that charges $110 or whatever they feel like charging you. Hertz at its best.

What happens if you try to book a duplicate of your original reservation - does it again price the rental at $110 or $300?

Are you wedded to Hertz? If possible I would make a reservation elsewhere, and if Hertz doesn’t agree to honor the $110 rate, I would walk to the other rental agency.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 10:08 am
jxd
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Ah, so you booked a rate that charges $110 or whatever they feel like charging you. Hertz at its best.

What happens if you try to book a duplicate of your original reservation - does it again price the rental at $110 or $300?

Are you wedded to Hertz? If possible I would make a reservation elsewhere, and if Hertz doesn’t agree to honor the $110 rate, I would walk to the other rental agency.
No I'm not, I only went with hertz because I managed to book a Tesla Model Y for $55 per day which was a great deal ($35 per day in my other booking, guaranted rate).

I have 5-star with Hertz and YYZ has the ultimate choice aisle so I'd probably still rebook with Hertz if they don't honor the $110 rate as the medium size cars are just $65 a day and depending on my luck I might be able to snag a better car at the ultimate choice aisle.

Also when i called hertz reservation a few days ago when there was no rate attached to my booking, he initially offered to make a new booking for me, then he said that something was odd as he could only book non-guaranteed rates so he recommended me to just keep my booking. Checked online and yeah only non-guaranteed rates are showing up.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jxd
Also when i called hertz reservation a few days ago when there was no rate attached to my booking, he initially offered to make a new booking for me, then he said that something was odd as he could only book non-guaranteed rates so he recommended me to just keep my booking. Checked online and yeah only non-guaranteed rates are showing up.
Who on earth would knowingly book a non-guaranteed rate? I didn’t even know that was a thing.
Auto Enthusiast and randix like this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 11:00 am
jxd
Original Poster

Who on earth would knowingly book a non-guaranteed rate? I didn’t even know that was a thing.
Yeah same here, didnt know that was a thing until this fiasco! Lesson learnt, next time if I find a great rate I should probably just prepay!
Old Mar 21, 2023, 2:34 pm

Quite often if using corporate rates where the rate could change should the agreement for that rate end
Old Mar 21, 2023, 5:25 pm
jxd
Original Poster

Quite often if using corporate rates where the rate could change should the agreement for that rate end
It's not a corporate rate. Just AMEX CDP.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by jxd
It's not a corporate rate. Just AMEX CDP.
Which AMEX CDP ? a CDP for staff at American Express or one of the public ones ( such as that for Platinum card holders ) ? Regardless in relation to question that was asked about who would book a rate that is not guaranteed, that is a common time that it will occur

using a regular American Express public CDP, I am surprised that you had this issue. Perhaps call AMEX and raise a complaint there. See whether it may be able to assist
Old Mar 21, 2023, 11:44 pm
jxd
Original Poster

Which AMEX CDP ? a CDP for staff at American Express or one of the public ones ( such as that for Platinum card holders ) ? Regardless in relation to question that was asked about who would book a rate that is not guaranteed, that is a common time that it will occur

using a regular American Express public CDP, I am surprised that you had this issue. Perhaps call AMEX and raise a complaint there. See whether it may be able to assist
It was the public AMEX platinum CDP.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by jxd
It was the public AMEX platinum CDP.
I would suggest giving AMEX a call and seeing if it can address the issue. Failing that I would not be relying on the $110 rate being honoured
Old Mar 22, 2023, 4:45 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

We've never heard of "non-guaranteed" rates. The rate is the rate. Yes, Hertz is a mess and rates sometimes jump up or fail to book or change or whatever, but these are IT failures and not due to the fact that rates are somehow "floating". The only exception to this, as pointed out above, would be a corporate CDP, but that's only when the contract is renegotiated.

jxd We'd be happy to look into this for you if you PM us your reservation details. Maybe we can find you an alternate deal closer to what you originally booked, assuming the Model Y is still showing availability for your location and dates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.