Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz PlatePass (General Discussion) Thread [Increased Daily Fee Dec 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2022, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Link to Hertz's PlatePass page and FAQ - click here
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2022, 2:07 am
Original Poster

I noticed an increase in the daily convenience fee for ez pass toll has jumped to $9.99 a day from $4.95 previously.

Why is Hertz charging so much more than the other car rental companies for ezpass use?
Old Dec 10, 2022, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Joes
I noticed an increase in the daily convenience fee for ez pass toll has jumped to $9.99 a day from $4.95 previously.

Why is Hertz charging so much more than the other car rental companies for ezpass use?
I don't know, but this provides yet another reason to get your own E-Z Pass transponder for use when renting from Hertz -- or anybody else.
TravelinSperry, TGarza and m907 like this.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 9:28 pm

The Hertz Platepass website says the $9.99/day fee is if you use a toll road without EZPass. Are you sure the transponder box was open and read appropriately?

https:/www.hertz.com/rentacar/productservice/index.jsp?targetPage=USplatepass.jsp
Old Dec 11, 2022, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I got an email today that advertised a 30% discount on EVs. And it also included this:

Not really clear what’s “all new” and “all inclusive”, but might be also “all new price”.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Huge money making scam for car rental companies... and apparently even more money for Hertz now. Make sure you never use this. Its absurd to pay that much and the rate is not justifiable at all.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 4:24 pm

30% discount on expensive EVs? Something must be going on.
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
30% discount on expensive EVs? Something must be going on.
For a very limited time only.

Book by and pick up through 1‍2/2‍1/20‍22. Discount applies to pay later base rate on EV rentals only. Discount will vary depending on location, date, length of rental, and other factors; discount will not apply in all cases. Taxes and fees excluded. Terms and exclusionsapply.”
Old Dec 12, 2022, 6:29 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by guv1976
[T]this provides yet another reason to get your own E-Z Pass transponder for use when renting from Hertz -- or anybody else.
Agreed, but when the personal transponder isn't read for some reason. the increased fee + cash rate is going to be pretty annoying. At least FasTrak in California lets one temporarily register a rental car plate to one's account in case of a failed transponder read.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 7:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Agreed, but when the personal transponder isn't read for some reason. the increased fee + cash rate is going to be pretty annoying. At least FasTrak in California lets one temporarily register a rental car plate to one's account in case of a failed transponder read.
As does EZ Pass, at least my PA one does.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 8:59 pm

PlatePass will waive the fee if you contact them and can show that you were using your own pass.
Auto Enthusiast and TGarza like this.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 4:19 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by zdcatc12
As does EZ Pass, at least my PA one does.
New York does not. https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/faq/rentalcars.shtml
Originally Posted by m907
PlatePass will waive th. e fee if you contact them and can show that you were using your own pass.
Yes, if you can show a charge to your E-Z Pass for the same toll, but if the transponder isn't read I don't see how you can get around the PlatePass fee.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 9:13 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
For what it's worth, I've had no problem using my NY Metro EZPass in rental cars. I never input the license plate into my account, but all my tolls have triggered to the EZPass without any issues or complaints from EZPass.

Even used it all up and down the east coast and midwest, not just NY Metro.

As mentioned above, I would suggest purchasing an EZPass transponder and wrapping it in foil and keeping it in your laptop bag or purse when traveling. If desired, purchase one from a state that allows you to enter the rental car information. I believe they are $10 deposit and each state has a different load amount you need to put on it, usually a minimum of $25. Still cheaper than $9.99 per day of your rental. That one-day fee covers your deposit for the transponder, which you'll get back when you turn it back in.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 2:01 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Illinois IPASS (which works with E-ZPass) allows one to register rental cars as well. I always wondered if that would really make a difference out of state. Like I believe if I miss toll on say 294 in IL bc the transponder didn't get read, I believe the car rental registration would work, but what if it happened on say the Verrazano bridge. Would the EZPASS system find that the plate was registered with IPASS for rental period, or would it just bill it to the plate (so Hertz). I wouldn't be surprised if the later happened.
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 8:41 am

NY E-ZPass won't let you register if you even try because I think Hertz registers its cars with them through the transponder program it has. However, I haven't had issues using my NY E-ZPass unregistered. Some states like North Carolina won't let you transfer a transponder between cars at all (and you can't add more vehicles than transponders).
Old Dec 16, 2022, 12:41 pm

I use my own EZ pass, which I detach from my car and take with me when I rent. 98% of the time this works with no problems - when I hold it up manually to the rental car windshield while going through the toll, I am charged properly and directly for the toll.

The other 2% of the time, Plate Pass duplicates the toll charge, so I am being billed for it twice - once on my own personal EZ Pass and once on the rental car's EZ Pass. This occasionally happens even when the box is closed. Plate Pass will credit you when you show them that you already paid for the toll, but their customer service is mediocre at best.
TravelinSperry likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.