Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One-Way fee Hertz TUS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2022, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Angry One-Way fee Hertz TUS

I rented at an off-airport location in TUS for five days, due back at 1200 Saturday. When I got there a few minutes later, the location was closed - it closed at 1200. I called the 800 number and asked what to do. The kid told me that the only location open was the TUS airport site, so I'd have to take it there. That's approx 10 miles away. We drove there, dropped it off, but the kid there added a $250 Intercity fee which I didn't see until I got home and out of the 110 degree heat.
1. Is this fair?
2. Do I have a recourse or are we screwed, HAHAHAHA?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So you returned to location after it was closed and then went to a different location to return the vehicle? You then got charged additional fee for the return to this other location

Cannot see anything unfair in that and cannot see what recourse you would have ( or even expect to have )
Ordpc likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Hertzcustomernomore
I rented at an off-airport location in TUS for five days, due back at 1200 Saturday. When I got there a few minutes later, the location was closed - it closed at 1200. I called the 800 number and asked what to do. The kid told me that the only location open was the TUS airport site, so I'd have to take it there. That's approx 10 miles away. We drove there, dropped it off, but the kid there added a $250 Intercity fee which I didn't see until I got home and out of the 110 degree heat.
1. Is this fair?
Did the off-airport location allow after-hours return, with a drop-box for keys and the rental agreement? While I am always leery about doing an after-hours return, it might have been cheaper -- especially if that location was open on Sunday.

It sounds like you are local to Tucson. Would a one-week rental (with a return on Monday) have been any more expensive than the five-day rental you booked?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Hertzcustomernomore
1. Is this fair?
$250 sounds high for this distance (I assume it’s usually $50-75 if not free for this kind major airport/adjacent locations one ways?), but yes they surely can charge this amount as they feel like because you are the one that changed the contract
Ordpc likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corolla
$250 sounds high for this distance (I assume it’s usually $50-75 if not free for this kind major airport/adjacent locations one ways?), but yes they surely can charge this amount as they feel like because you are the one that changed the contract
It depends on the rate code -- if any -- one uses when making the reservation. And there might not be a drop charge, per se, but the base rate could just be higher with an airport return location.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
It depends on the rate code -- if any -- one uses when making the reservation. And there might not be a drop charge, per se, but the base rate could just be higher with an airport return location.
Im sure for a lot of major airports, no matter what RQ is used, the drop off is free or flat rate (no matter if it shows a separate drop fee or not). You can run a dummy booking to see. Definitely different from several years ago when most of the US rates had the ridiculously accumulated drop fee charges. But again if the op really called hertz, hertz would definitely told you how much the new total is.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Im sure for a lot of major airports, no matter what RQ is used, the drop off is free or flat rate (no matter if it shows a separate drop fee or not). You can run a dummy booking to see. Definitely different from several years ago when most of the US rates had the ridiculously accumulated drop fee charges. But again if the op really called hertz, hertz would definitely told you how much the new total is.
What it might have been if booked does not mean that it would be the same when a different location used than booked. e.g. the vehicle given might be one that the location doesn't offer as a one way rental
Old Jun 12, 2022, 9:18 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
As the OP posted their question in a thread well over a decade old, I went ahead and split the discussion into a new thread.

Thanks
Jason8612 Hertz Mod
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In Tuscon, at least, it seems to matter. Two screenshots for your consideration, both for a one-day rental with no CDP entered. The cheaper quote is for pick up and return to Ina Road HLE, Tucson; the more expensive one is for pick up at Ina Road, and return to TUS.

If I use my alma mater's leisure contract code -- which Hertz expressly permits alumni to use -- I get this rate for a pick up at Ina Road, and a drop at TUS:

Old Jun 13, 2022, 3:54 am

If the customer service agent truly didn't inform you of the one-way fee, you could try contacting Hertz via social media and politely asking them to waive the extra fee.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.