Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VW Jetta with Manual Transmission in US?!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2022, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Hertz PC, Hyatt Colleague, Avis Preferred/Budget FB, National Exeuctive
VW Jetta with Manual Transmission in US?!

Just wondering if anyone has any insight.
I work very closely with Manheim, one of the largest vehicle auctions in the USA. The other day, a car came through - a 2021 VW Jetta - with a manual trans that had Hertz barcode stickers all over the windshield and door, plus a Hertz insurance slip in the glove box. Has anyone seen anything for rent with a manual from Hertz in the US?
Old Mar 15, 2022, 7:10 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

We haven't heard of any manual transmission cars in the US rental fleets for a number of years. We do know that the major rental companies have been buying low-mileage current/previous model year cars since early 2021 due to the difficulty of getting new vehicles. It's very possible that Hertz acquired this manual Jetta as part of that effort and it was simply a mistake and now they are looking to unload it.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Hertz PC, Hyatt Colleague, Avis Preferred/Budget FB, National Exeuctive
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
We haven't heard of any manual transmission cars in the US rental fleets for a number of years. We do know that the major rental companies have been buying low-mileage current/previous model year cars since early 2021 due to the difficulty of getting new vehicles. It's very possible that Hertz acquired this manual Jetta as part of that effort and it was simply a mistake and now they are looking to unload it.
I have noticed, especially here at TPA, a number of new cars infleeted that have still had dealer labels and custom options (i.e. tinted windows, tonneau covers). Perhaps it was purchased and infleeted but never actually rented out. I guess it's just for us to speculate. Still pretty interesting nonetheless.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 7:23 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by isiegel3
I have noticed, especially here at TPA, a number of new cars infleeted that have still had dealer labels and custom options (i.e. tinted windows, tonneau covers). Perhaps it was purchased and infleeted but never actually rented out. I guess it's just for us to speculate. Still pretty interesting nonetheless.
Yep, that's the most obvious explanation for out-of-spec vehicles in general.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 10:52 am

Interesting, why would the rental companies buy them but not rent them out? (Other than in error)

As far as manuals in the US, in 2017-2018 or so I had some reservations for Mustang coupes with "standard transmission" from Budget/Avis. Didn't follow through so not sure if they would have just given me an auto instead, but figured it was some sort of corporate A-B testing
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.