Wiki Posts
Search

Avenue for Hertz complaints / refunds?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2022, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Avenue for Hertz complaints / refunds?

Hello fellow travellers!

I recently rented a Ford Mustang Convertible in MIA as a birthday treat.
The car was high mileage (33k), grimy, with check engine lights coming on at times, stumbling engine, jerky transmission, wrong tire pressures (42/22PSI) ... and so forth.

I took delivery of the car after a long flight at 11PM so really didn't pay too much attention at this point.
During the rental period I tried to contact customer service but never got through.

I sent a complaint to the executivecustomerservice address at Hertz but got no response

What other channels are there to complain and ask for a refund?
Old Mar 14, 2022, 5:46 pm

Definitely sounds like a poor experience but not sure they will give you anything for it. 33K mileage is "meh" these days. Same with dirty, wrong tire pressures (I've noticed they often have the same tire position super-inflated, meaning the technician is probably inflating that one tire position last and leaves the cable attached for a while to do another task).

You could try writing them on social media, like Twitter, Facebook, etc.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 8:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Hertz PC, Hyatt Colleague, Avis Preferred/Budget FB, National Exeuctive
From my experience, you probably won't get a full refund. For instance, I had a Malibu with 4,000 miles throw a CEL and reduced engine power light and went into limp mode on a 2 lane 70 mph bridge, and all Hertz was concerned with when I went to swap was that the gas tank wasn't at full. They make make a small adjustment though. But next time take the car in if you are truly that dissatisfied and they're generally pretty good about swapping, especially if you have a CEL on. Plus, Miami usually has an abundance of convertibles. Definitely agree social media is probably the way to go!
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by isiegel3
From my experience, you probably won't get a full refund. For instance, I had a Malibu with 4,000 miles throw a CEL and reduced engine power light and went into limp mode on a 2 lane 70 mph bridge, and all Hertz was concerned with when I went to swap was that the gas tank wasn't at full. They make make a small adjustment though. But next time take the car in if you are truly that dissatisfied and they're generally pretty good about swapping, especially if you have a CEL on. Plus, Miami usually has an abundance of convertibles. Definitely agree social media is probably the way to go!
Thanks,
I was hoping for a partial refund.
When I arrived at Hertz MIA I checked 3 other convertibles parked next to 'mine'
They all had 30k+ mileage and mine was the best of the worst.

I came in late via London and wasn't in the mood to walk back to the Hertz booth and argue.
BUT next time I will!
Ordpc likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glostix
Definitely sounds like a poor experience but not sure they will give you anything for it. 33K mileage is "meh" these days. Same with dirty, wrong tire pressures (I've noticed they often have the same tire position super-inflated, meaning the technician is probably inflating that one tire position last and leaves the cable attached for a while to do another task).

You could try writing them on social media, like Twitter, Facebook, etc.
Thanks ...

Before COVID and Hertz going into bankruptcy I mostly got sub 3k miles cars.
Sometimes I even was the first person to rent the car out.
A high mileage convertible with 33k on the clock is not what I had in mind.

As written below, I was not in the mood to invest another hour of my time to reject the car and wait for Hertz to sort it out.
Next time I definitely will!
Ordpc likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by GoToGate
Thanks ...

Before COVID and Hertz going into bankruptcy I mostly got sub 3k miles cars.
Sometimes I even was the first person to rent the car out.
A high mileage convertible with 33k on the clock is not what I had in mind.

As written below, I was not in the mood to invest another hour of my time to reject the car and wait for Hertz to sort it out.
Next time I definitely will!
Dont know what to tell you but you definitely will not get refund, if anything they can give you some goodwill points and that’s it. All problems described above were not that severe, and many used cars hertz bought had more than 33k miles even before they joined the fleet. The only problem is car with check engine light on shouldn’t be available to rent out. Situations now is completely different from precovid and it’s meanless to compare these. Even retail customers have difficulty getting cars even paying above MSRP let alone these fleet buyers. The best way to deal with this is to exchange the car right on scene, and in no way would it take one hour.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 4:31 am

I have also had the most success by DMing them on social media. The best you can expect is some free points.
GoToGate and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by doglynx
Dont know what to tell you but you definitely will not get refund, if anything they can give you some goodwill points and that’s it. All problems described above were not that severe, and many used cars hertz bought had more than 33k miles even before they joined the fleet. The only problem is car with check engine light on shouldn’t be available to rent out. Situations now is completely different from precovid and it’s meanless to compare these. Even retail customers have difficulty getting cars even paying above MSRP let alone these fleet buyers. The best way to deal with this is to exchange the car right on scene, and in no way would it take one hour.
I appreciate your opinion, thank you ...
Old Mar 19, 2022, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by GoToGate
I appreciate your opinion, thank you ...
What I wanted to say is this covid gave many many people as well as companies the best reason to do the bare minimum and bring all service standard to a new low and at the same time charge higher price, expect higher tips from the already ridiculous amount, in the US.

Although to be fair purchasing used cars was not really the rental companies' fault, the price they paid for these used ones was most likely higher than the price they paid for the new ones 3 years ago.
Auto Enthusiast and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by doglynx
What I wanted to say is this covid gave many many people as well as companies the best reason to do the bare minimum and bring all service standard to a new low and at the same time charge higher price, expect higher tips from the already ridiculous amount, in the US.

Although to be fair purchasing used cars was not really the rental companies' fault, the price they paid for these used ones was most likely higher than the price they paid for the new ones 3 years ago.
I agree, it's definitely a new low except for the prices they're now charging.
Roughly I would say the price I've paid is three fold to what I paid in 2019, and that for a considerably higher mileage car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.