Wiki Posts
Search

G vs. I - worth an extra $100?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2021, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

G vs. I - worth an extra $100?

Hi all -

Currently have a 7-day reservation for a Large Premium Sedan and I'm debating whether to pay an extra $100 for a Large Luxury Sedan. I'm planning to drive the car from Chicago to Asheville and back, and the car will need to carry, at most, three people and their luggage for a three-night stay. Looks like the MPG for the Luxury is worse than the Premium, but oh well, I'll be on vacation after all.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!
Ordpc likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 5:58 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
in practical terms, the question is a high-mileage Chevy Impala (the only car I believe one can expect these days for G) worth $100 more than a Chrysler 300. There's a part of me that would chance it a bit, given that Impalas are pretty rare (or should be as they were last made in February of last year) and you might end up with a free upgrade to a 300.
oftech and Ordpc like this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
in practical terms, the question is a high-mileage Chevy Impala (the only car I believe one can expect these days for G) worth $100 more than a Chrysler 300. There's a part of me that would chance it a bit, given that Impalas are pretty rare (or should be as they were last made in February of last year) and you might end up with a free upgrade to a 300.
Well, I’m renting from an HLE, which means I’m going to get whatever they can scrounge up, and I’m wondering if it’s worth the extra money to know for sure that I’m getting a 300 or G80 and not a high-mileage Taurus or Impala.
Ordpc and oftech like this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 10:01 am

Programs: National, Hertz
Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
Well, I’m renting from an HLE, which means I’m going to get whatever they can scrounge up, and I’m wondering if it’s worth the extra money to know for sure that I’m getting a 300 or G80 and not a high-mileage Taurus or Impala.
My experience booking G as a PC member at small airports has either been a downgrade to an F or an Impala. I've never really had a problem with the Impala other than it's a boring boat, but it will fit adults comfortably and the trunk is decently large. The last one I received was a V6 LT, 45,000+ miles but serviced well – tires were name brand, no smoke smell, no issues to report. I'd probably rather do a long road trip in a 300 versus the Impala but it's up to you if that's worth the extra cash. I haven't personally seen a G80, or any Genesis, in Hertz's fleet yet.
TribalistMeathead and Ordpc like this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Impalas do seem to be getting pretty scarce in the Hertz fleet now. HLE locations are such a crapshoot to begin with. Inventory is so hit or miss; last year my local HLE was having problems getting sedans of any category at all.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 12:30 pm

If this was an airport, its a lot easier to guess. I think if you book a large premium sedan, they will try to stick you in a compact crossover like Rav4. Impala has a low possibility, I haven’t seen them in the past few months. Luxury sedan you will receive a Chrysler 300s or maybe bmws sedan or suv if they have them.

For a HLE location, they might say we don’t have any cars and put u in a pickup truck, who knows.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, all - I think I'm going to stick with my current plan, which is:

(a) make reservations at Avis and Hertz for the same car class
(b) call both locations the morning I'm going to pick up a car to see if they can tell me the car they're assigning to me
oftech, Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 1:01 am

All the G-class Impalas were at DFW the other day. I must’ve seen at least 6 of them in the Presidents Circle lot.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Picking up today! I stuck with the G class and the location called to offer me a Mustang or an SUV. Opted for the Mustang. Called ORD, was told I couldn't swap it for anything. Called MDW, no answer. Currently waiting to see what Avis assigns me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.