Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One way change drop off location?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2021, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

One way change drop off location?

So I need to do a 1 way rental from LAS-FAT, sadly it says no cars available. Yet it lets be book a one way from LAS-LAX. I'm booking this res on points....what would happen if I just showed up in FAT and dropped the car off there? Im a PC if it makes a difference
Old Jun 24, 2021, 1:15 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by cludden
So I need to do a 1 way rental from LAS-FAT, sadly it says no cars available. Yet it lets be book a one way from LAS-LAX. I'm booking this res on points....what would happen if I just showed up in FAT and dropped the car off there? Im a PC if it makes a difference
It's not all that uncommon for one location to be a valid return location but another location not to be. It all depends on where Hertz wants to incentivize folks to move vehicles to. If they don't want to move vehicles from LAS to FAT then they will just block that routing. Have you tried to see if they will allow a one-way with a return at the Fresno Autocenter HLE or the Central Fresno HLE? If they've blocked the FAT airport, they're probably also blocking the nearby off-airport locations, but it couldn't hurt to check.

As for what would happen if you just show up at FAT instead of LAX, the answer is that you may pay more, less, or the same as your originally booked reservation. The truth though is that taking a few hundred bucks and putting it on red or back at the roulette table is probably a better bet than trying this strategy with Hertz. There's a good chance they will ding you anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars if you return at an unauthorized location. Do you really want to take the chance?

A better strategy is to find a rental company that allows a LAS-FAT rental. Remember, you can check both airport and off-airport locations. Priceline is pretty good in this regard as you can see in this search (you can adjust the dates/times to suit your needs). They will show both airport and off-airport locations in both the pickup and return areas. A quick search for a random week in July shows 5 different companies allowing such a rental including Hertz for cash. It's hard to say why they won't allow a points booking, but their system has been screwy for a long time now.

Of course, you can also put in a request via AutoSlash to see what the best deal would be and/or book something and then track it with us for lower rates. Sometimes making a cash booking makes more sense than burning the points, but it's sort of an academic discussion if Hertz won't even let you book it with points in the first place.
Auto Enthusiast, m907 and Ordpc like this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 12:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
They may want tack on a drop fee. Maybe $150 plus remove unlimited miles and replace with $0.27 per mile? These are just example numbers. Or they may tell you they can’t accept the vehicle?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.