Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Operations/Experiences During Covid-19 (May 4, 2020 Updates)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2020, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KenTarmac
"Hertz Gold Standard Clean" announced - click here

2020 Loyalty status extended through January 31, 2022 - link to FT Thread

POINTS EXTENSION
Points that were set to expire between March 13 and June 30, 2020 may be extended. Individualized emails have been sent to account members to "opt into" extending points. This must be done manually and will not be done automatically. Details below.

UPDATE: May 5, 2020

There's a points extension link included in an email with the subject "I
ntroducing Hertz Gold Standard Clean – Sanitized. Sealed. Delivered." that was sent to account holders on Mon 5/4/2020.

The second article of the email indicates: "if you have points that were set to expire between March 13 and June 30, extend them now." (A link is provided within the email that is linked to the individuals account.)

Points extension is not being done automatically but must be "opted into". After clicking on the email link the HERTZ webpage that you're redirected to indicates:
"Your points will be available starting June 1, 2020 – and they’ll be valid through December 31, 2020."

Update: May 8, 2020

A follow up email with the subject "COVID-19 update: New Hertz Gold Standard Clean and Loyalty Updates" was sent to members on May 8, 2020

Under the section "Extending Loyalty Status" there's another individualized link that must be clicked (followed) to "opt into" extending your points.

The section reads as follows:
To give our Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® members more time and opportunity to enjoy their membership benefits, we recently announced we have extended their current loyalty status through January 31, 2022. Additionally, members with points that were set to expire between March 13 and June 30, 2020, have the opportunity to claim them here. (Where "here" is the individualized link).

Print Wikipost

Hertz Operations/Experiences During Covid-19 (May 4, 2020 Updates)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:14 pm

I rent from Seattle downtown HLE and its been great - low rental prices ($15/day vs the typical $30-60 per day), no crowds obviously, and the one agent there is nice. Hopefully they don't shut down over the next few weeks.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 5:05 pm

Yeah the HLE's seem to be decent value - in LA it's $12 a day or so. LAX seems to still be (relatively) expensive.

At $358 for an entire month for a (C) reservation ($321 for a B) - it's cheaper than my own lease! But a shame that there's just nowhere to go
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:56 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
DEN airport rates are sky high for early May. It's like business as usual, or worse.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 8:09 am

Programs: Hertz Gold PC,Virgin Atlantic Silver,SAS Eurobonus Silver
Originally Posted by FlyingJayhawk12
Considering Hertz’ disdain for the Gold Plus Rewards program and frequent renters, and their repeated, unannounced devaluations of their rewards program points, I wouldn’t expect them to do anything for us in terms of extending status.
I rented a whole 4 times last year and I still got my PC status renewed for another year in Feb.

I am in the UK and there is a lockdown, trying to work out how to return my car next week as I can't return it to the location I rented it from (as it's deemed essential travel) and there aren't any location open near where I am. I am hoping they will come and pick it up...
Old Apr 9, 2020, 6:47 pm

I rented at AGS (Augusta, GA) a few days ago. Obviously a small location - not sure if it's corporate or a franchise.

Lot was full - nearly every space, and it looked like they were using airport (passenger) parking for overflow. A lot of the cars looked dusty (not the usual yellow pollen), so I suspect there wasn't a lot of turnover happening.

Considering that the Masters would have been getting underway - which normally turns AGS into a zoo - it was weird to see.

I had a reservation for an F, and am just a 5*. Gently inquired if any "interesting cars" were available. Nicest thing on the lot was a low-mile Charger, mid-options, and leather. Tagged as F6. Offered for $15/day more and I accepted - normally I'd pass on that offer, but just a personal perference.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 5:49 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Presguy
I had a reservation for an F, and am just a 5*. Gently inquired if any "interesting cars" were available. Nicest thing on the lot was a low-mile Charger, mid-options, and leather. Tagged as F6. Offered for $15/day more and I accepted - normally I'd pass on that offer, but just a personal perference.
Hard to believe you paid an upgrade fee for a 20 something thousand dollar car, when their lots are packed to the brim...

I just got a Charger RT with Hemi (the $40K model) and the manager not only didn’t charge me, but was thanking me for by business in these otherwise empty times
Old Apr 10, 2020, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Presguy
I rented at AGS (Augusta, GA) a few days ago. Obviously a small location - not sure if it's corporate or a franchise.
Hertz's website shows AGS is corporate. I returned a car there last June late at night, with a free day, fullsize one-way from CAE. There were a lot of SUVs with Midwestern plates. A very few number of large sedans with FL plates. 1 or 2 from the Northeast corridor (ex PA, MD). A handful from SC and NC. With that kind of one-way mix, it's a safe bet to assume corporate even without looking at the website.

Not to say a location like AGS with limited nonstops to nearby hubs won't have periodic challenges. Thunderstorms that night meant that the usual short hop flights were cancelled, and everyone except me was either rushing to rent a car one-way, or find a hotel. The counter clerk even acknowledged they were sold out, and I kind of helped them a little bit, but it's still a problem that they don't have the cars. Once other people whose flights were cancelled one-way in, the situation should resolve itself by the next day or so.
Presguy likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Hard to believe you paid an upgrade fee for a 20 something thousand dollar car, when their lots are packed to the brim...

I just got a Charger RT with Hemi (the $40K model) and the manager not only didn’t charge me, but was thanking me for by business in these otherwise empty times
Yeah, I agree. Not something that I'd have done ordinarily, and I'd probably, like you, be a little cynical of the offer. It would an unappealing and poor-value offer during "normal" times, now it was totally illogical. It was just a nostalgia thing for me - I used to live in the area, and a similar Charger was my work car.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 4:14 pm

".... that kind of one-way mix, it's a safe bet to assume corporate even without looking at the website..."

Thanks for the information - that's well outside of my industry, so I appreciate the chance to learn a bit.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:07 pm

I had to return a car to San Diego airport yesterday and start a new rental. The rental car center was very spooky as it was packed full of cars but there was literally nobody around. When I parked the car in the return aisle there was nobody there at all, so I just left it (my return email came through about three hours later). Literally the only person I saw was the one guy manning just one exit booth.

Almost all of the Hertz aisles were packed full of cars (literally, blocking the aisles so you couldn't access any of the cars in them) meaning the only accessible aisles were PC and 5* and a very small number of reserved bays towards the exit. The PC selection was very poor, mainly Altimas and Maximas, but also several compacts like a Mazda 3 which I've never seen in the PC section before. There was one European car which was a Mercedes GLC, however when I tried to exit it turned out the registration had expired. Clearly nobody is actively managing the inventory at the moment! I had to return it and took the next best thing which was a new model Ford Explorer. Sadly at only 5,000 miles it stinks of weed and the gearbox sounds awful, so I think I will be bringing it back soon. However I can't image the PC selection is going to change much anytime soon!
Old Apr 15, 2020, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by spanishflea
The PC selection was very poor, mainly Altimas and Maximas, but also several compacts like a Mazda 3 which I've never seen in the PC section before. There was one European car which was a Mercedes GLC, however when I tried to exit it turned out the registration had expired. Clearly nobody is actively managing the inventory at the moment! I had to return it and took the next best thing which was a new model Ford Explorer. Sadly at only 5,000 miles it stinks of weed and the gearbox sounds awful, so I think I will be bringing it back soon. However I can't image the PC selection is going to change much anytime soon!
PC selection varies based on the cars that are just returned combined with the Gold Manager on Duty.

I went to a location last night that, besides a few A220s and QX60s on PC, otherwise had what you referred to. Same location this morning had a 5 series sport, brand new 4 series, X3s, SS convertible, SLC300 convertible...and this morning’s manager was walking the aisle and radioing down. Much more active Manager this morning, and also most of the nice cars on PC had out of state plates...

Having said that - if there was a GLC on PC and it wasn’t rentable due to no fault of yours - they should have gotten you another GLC without expired registration. You should have politely but firmly insisted.

I grabbed a Velar out of PC once, and the booth agent claimed it was a ‘turn around’ which she explained meant it was marked for return to the dealership, and she couldn’t rent that car. She asked me to go back to PC to pick another.

I said no thank you - I wanted to drive a Velar and there isn’t another on PC - please call the Manager - and by ‘holding up’ the booth, I had another, newer Velar pulled up behind me within 5 minutes, with an apology and a credit on the contract from the Manager (I didn’t talk to the Manager; I didn’t ask for any credit and didn’t even realize it until return; but an example of excellent service, when lazy booth agents are held accountable)
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:55 pm

PC selection varies based on the cars that are just returned combined with the Gold Manager on Duty.

I went to a location last night that, besides a few A220s and QX60s on PC, otherwise had what you referred to. Same location this morning had a 5 series sport, brand new 4 series, X3s, SS convertible, SLC300 convertible...and this morning’s manager was walking the aisle and radioing down. Much more active Manager this morning, and also most of the nice cars on PC had out of state plates...

Having said that - if there was a GLC on PC and it wasn’t rentable due to no fault of yours - they should have gotten you another GLC without expired registration. You should have politely but firmly insisted.

I grabbed a Velar out of PC once, and the booth agent claimed it was a ‘turn around’ which she explained meant it was marked for return to the dealership, and she couldn’t rent that car. She asked me to go back to PC to pick another.

I said no thank you - I wanted to drive a Velar and there isn’t another on PC - please call the Manager - and by ‘holding up’ the booth, I had another, newer Velar pulled up behind me within 5 minutes, with an apology and a credit on the contract from the Manager (I didn’t talk to the Manager; I didn’t ask for any credit and didn’t even realize it until return; but an example of excellent service, when lazy booth agents are held accountable)
Thats a nice story, but based on my experiences in almost all large airports on both east and west coasts,t kind of experience is always too good to be true
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by doglynx
Thats a nice story, but based on my experiences in almost all large airports on both east and west coasts,t kind of experience is always too good to be true
What is this post supposed to mean? That my story is a fable?

That I got really lucky with a great Manager?

or that you treat the employees quite differently/poorly, so your experience is completely different?
KenTarmac and m907 like this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Looks like 2 of the 3 HLEs in my area (Richmond, VA) are temporarily closed. Oddly, the one Richmond HLE that is still open is the one on Midlothian Turnpike, which is farthest from "core" Richmond - the two on West Broad Street that are more centrally located and accessible via public transit are closed. The HLE closest to my house has a few dozen cars parked in the lot behind it, which is obviously due to COVID-19. Monthly rentals are still pricing in the $650 range here.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 10:52 am

In normal times I would agree with you, however I just wanted to get out of there as fast as possible! Also not sure how much discretion exists today with so many staff having been furloughed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.