Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Operations/Experiences During Covid-19 (May 4, 2020 Updates)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2020, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KenTarmac
"Hertz Gold Standard Clean" announced - click here

2020 Loyalty status extended through January 31, 2022 - link to FT Thread

POINTS EXTENSION
Points that were set to expire between March 13 and June 30, 2020 may be extended. Individualized emails have been sent to account members to "opt into" extending points. This must be done manually and will not be done automatically. Details below.

UPDATE: May 5, 2020

There's a points extension link included in an email with the subject "I
ntroducing Hertz Gold Standard Clean – Sanitized. Sealed. Delivered." that was sent to account holders on Mon 5/4/2020.

The second article of the email indicates: "if you have points that were set to expire between March 13 and June 30, extend them now." (A link is provided within the email that is linked to the individuals account.)

Points extension is not being done automatically but must be "opted into". After clicking on the email link the HERTZ webpage that you're redirected to indicates:
"Your points will be available starting June 1, 2020 – and they’ll be valid through December 31, 2020."

Update: May 8, 2020

A follow up email with the subject "COVID-19 update: New Hertz Gold Standard Clean and Loyalty Updates" was sent to members on May 8, 2020

Under the section "Extending Loyalty Status" there's another individualized link that must be clicked (followed) to "opt into" extending your points.

The section reads as follows:
To give our Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® members more time and opportunity to enjoy their membership benefits, we recently announced we have extended their current loyalty status through January 31, 2022. Additionally, members with points that were set to expire between March 13 and June 30, 2020, have the opportunity to claim them here. (Where "here" is the individualized link).

Print Wikipost

Hertz Operations/Experiences During Covid-19 (May 4, 2020 Updates)

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2021, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
RIC over the weekend - no cars at scheduled pickup time. Pres Circle empty, only a couple cars in entire lot (large suvs that were specifically reserved) and line of other people waiting for cars with some there for over an hour. Took 30 min for a few cars to show up and fortunately was given one of the first ones. Reserved F, got F (Kia Optima with 27k miles... yawn)
Felt bad for others still waiting there.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 4:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Date: 5/30-5/31
Class Reserved: SCAR

Do note this location is offsite. FPO has two terminals (domestic and international) and a bus will come pick you up. The location is very small and all paperwork has to be done inside even if you're PC/Five Star/Gold (similar to most foreign airports). I ended up in a Nissan Versa with 4,000 kM. Definitely not a SCAR but it was automatic and the steering wheel on the left side.
Old Jun 3, 2021, 4:31 pm

I have had it with Hertz. Here is the note I sent customer service (and copied the Hertz CEO). I am sure I will not get a response. A company that has fallen so, so far.As a 23 year Hertz Gold Plus customer, I am writing with dismay and disgust at Hertz’s recent expiration of my Gold Rewards Points, without so much as an email. I have been a Gold customer since the moment I began business travel and have *not one time* rented a vehicle from a company other than Hertz during that time.

We have been through a global pandemic, during which every other travel company I do business with (Marriott, Delta, etc) extended and then re-extended rewards points without even asking customers. I was informed that Hertz sent me an email (I never received this if it was even ever sent) asking if I wanted to extend my points. I suspect you figured many people would delete the email without reading it, thus allowing you to cancel the points and remove the liability from your balance sheet.

Please forward this to your appropriate supervisor, assuming you don’t answer it yourself. I was planning on taking my daughter on a college search trip using some of my rewards points. I look forward to having those points restored by the end of the business day Friday, June 4th.
KenTarmac likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Scott McKinney
I have had it with Hertz. Here is the note I sent customer service (and copied the Hertz CEO). I am sure I will not get a response. A company that has fallen so, so far.As a 23 year Hertz Gold Plus customer, I am writing with dismay and disgust at Hertz’s recent expiration of my Gold Rewards Points, without so much as an email. I have been a Gold customer since the moment I began business travel and have *not one time* rented a vehicle from a company other than Hertz during that time.

We have been through a global pandemic, during which every other travel company I do business with (Marriott, Delta, etc) extended and then re-extended rewards points without even asking customers. I was informed that Hertz sent me an email (I never received this if it was even ever sent) asking if I wanted to extend my points. I suspect you figured many people would delete the email without reading it, thus allowing you to cancel the points and remove the liability from your balance sheet.

Please forward this to your appropriate supervisor, assuming you don’t answer it yourself. I was planning on taking my daughter on a college search trip using some of my rewards points. I look forward to having those points restored by the end of the business day Friday, June 4th.
Hertz doesn't care, and never did.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Haven't rented in awhile. Is anyone else seeing astronomical rates?

Trying to rent from a smaller airport location:
1. It's saying no availability for a two day rental for late July. If i add another 2 hours, it's available
2. Price per day is $200 (even with corporate discount which would usually be $30-$40)
3. Points can be used to cover the 2 days, but I need to pay for the additional 2 hours which is $70 per hour. Feel like you used to be able to use points to cover partial days?

I even switched to EWR for the same weekend and it's quoting $1000 a day as well as "points cannot be used". Has Hertz just changed to make it insanely difficult to redeem points are is there a massive car shortage driving up demand?
Old Jun 8, 2021, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by awu25
awu25: Yes, at SFO in September. I've never seen such high rates at Hertz, I thought there was an error in the system. For a 10 day rental they wanted much more than I recently paid for a 30 day rental in Miami in March (which was actually for a slightly "higher" car category). I checked other companies and they are all about as high, with the exception of Thrifty which was a bit more reasonable (but still really high).
Old Jun 8, 2021, 1:00 pm

1. It's saying no availability for a two day rental for late July. If i add another 2 hours, it's available
2. Price per day is $200 (even with corporate discount which would usually be $30-$40)
3. Points can be used to cover the 2 days, but I need to pay for the additional 2 hours which is $70 per hour. Feel like you used to be able to use points to cover partial days?

I even switched to EWR for the same weekend and it's quoting $1000 a day as well as "points cannot be used". Has Hertz just changed to make it insanely difficult to redeem points are is there a massive car shortage driving up demand?
Even the local locations are calling mid-June to early-August a "blackout" period, requiring double the points. What's odd is two different locations showed this period on the website, but only one was charging the higher point cost when I tried booking by phone.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
FWIW I got a normal rate for July at Hertz CDG.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
FWIW I got a normal rate for July at Hertz CDG.
Several posters have mentioned the inventory shortage is primarily a US issue. It's partly because urbanized European countries are opening comparatively slowly, and in general a car is less necessary for trips there.
blairvanhorn likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 3:42 am

“A Car Rental Apocalypse”
blairvanhorn likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by m907
m907: Thanks for the link, I hadn't see that thread before. Interesting read.
m907 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
How bad is it out there?

The WSJ has been beating up on Hertz in recent months and either had stories or quotes about people not being able to rent a car in high demand markets like MIA or MCO.

I've got a rental in Germany (covid entry not-withstanding) and there are TONS of options. But what should I expect for a potential family vacation in mid-august to MCO, and/or does Gold status help with anything?
Old Jun 18, 2021, 6:01 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
As the question pertains to Hertz operations now, I went ahead and merged it with the consolidated Hertz COVID thread.

Thanks
Jason8612 Hertz Mod
Old Jun 20, 2021, 7:53 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by photojojo
The WSJ has been beating up on Hertz in recent months and either had stories or quotes about people not being able to rent a car in high demand markets like MIA or MCO.

I've got a rental in Germany (covid entry not-withstanding) and there are TONS of options. But what should I expect for a potential family vacation in mid-august to MCO, and/or does Gold status help with anything?
Depends where you go and what status (if any) you have. This year I've had fourteen Hertz rentals, with twelve in the continental US, and I never had to wait for a car either at a large airport or a small one. I will say the quantity of cars in Gold/5 Star/Presidents Circle has at times been less than it used to be and often the quality is down too but I haven't run into anything worthy of printing in a newspaper at Hertz. Enterprise though is another matter but that's neither here nor there.
photojojo likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 8:58 pm

Dumb question about Hertz rewards. Based on my limited experience, the cars in Gold are sometime interchangeable with cars in PC. At Newark last week, there were identical Ford Escapes in both aisles. There were Rogues in both; Elantras in both. If I am Gold and grab a car from PC, who is to stop me ? I dont see any reason to do this, I just cant see how the checkout kiosk can tell whether the Camry or Equinox you grabbed came from Gold or PC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.