Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Will Hertz deliver a car to the LA World Cruise Center port?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum

Just wondered if anyone has any experience with this? The San Pedro branch is just a 5 minute drive away from the port, and I'm trying to find out for my parents whole be arriving off a cruise with a fair bit of luggage whether Hertz would drop off the car there for them...
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If it's that close, can one go to fetch the car while the other waits with the luggage? The problem might be if Hertz wants to see both driver's licenses because both will be driving the rental vehicle. I'm not sure whether a spouse additional driver would get an exemption.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Thanks yes, that's what I suggested to them. My dad is worried there won't be somewhere easy for my Mum to wait with the luggage while he goes to get the car. It's their first time at that port so not familiar with the layout.

Second driver not an issue as they're just taking the car for the day to go visit relatives in the Vally an d will return it to LAX later that day.

Enterprise apparently would deliver the car there, but they are quoting an eye watering rate of close to $400 for a mid size SUV because of the on way LAX drop off, while Hertz are offering a similar size vehicle for $48 all in. Madness!
Old Jan 13, 2020, 4:04 am

Take a taxi?
Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:27 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
They will not deliver a car. The car must be rented at the office which is walkable for most. They get a number of renters after a cruise and it can get very busy.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Is free pick-up and drop-off no longer a standard feature of HLE locations? I thought they all did this to be competitive with Enterprise. My nearby HLE has always come and picked me up (or sent a Lyft) when I've called and asked.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687
Is free pick-up and drop-off no longer a standard feature of HLE locations? I thought they all did this to be competitive with Enterprise. My nearby HLE has always come and picked me up (or sent a Lyft) when I've called and asked.
This particular location is in a unique situation. It is an HLE but it sometimes gets dozens of customers at one time with cruise ship customers. Waits can be as long as 3 hours (see Yelp and other social media).
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:45 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Given the potential for a long wait, would it be easier to grab an Uber to the Hertz location at LAX?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Cymro
Given the potential for a long wait, would it be easier to grab an Uber to the Hertz location at LAX?
That's 20 miles. Depends on the time of the day as traffic can get bad on the 405 freeway (although 2 or more in the vehicle means you can ride in the carpool lane which usually helps). If I was going to be in the area of LAX, anyway, it's not a bad idea. There's never any wait no matter which way you rent at Hertz LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.