Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Possible flight delay, might arrive a day later - what to do with my reservation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible flight delay, might arrive a day later - what to do with my reservation?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2019, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG

Hi - We have a reservation with Hertz at LAX - our flight has a 100 minute connection at ORD and it's with UA. Anyway UA refused to rebook us right now without a fee but there's a almost 100% chance that we won't make that flight (non-US citizen, travelling with 3 children with luggage). I know there are 2 flights coming into LAX if we missed ours.

Right now I made 2 reservations - one if everything turned out ok and the other one is for the next day. How long will Hertz keep our reservation?

TIA!
Old Sep 8, 2019, 6:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Im not sure why you are assuming that you will miss the flight. 100 minutes is more than the MCT , so no reason why UA would allow it to be changed for free

depending on type of reservaton, i believe that the time can be 2 hours that it is held for
jason8612 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Im not sure why you are assuming that you will miss the flight. 100 minutes is more than the MCT , so no reason why UA would allow it to be changed for free

depending on type of reservaton, i believe that the time can be 2 hours that it is held for
We will be in E- which means the back of a 777, it will take at least 30 minutes just to deplane, then we have to go through CBP, pick up bags and then go from T5 to T1. I know the MCT is 90 for ORD I to D but I highly doubt that it's possible in our case.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nacho
We will be in E- which means the back of a 777, it will take at least 30 minutes just to deplane, then we have to go through CBP, pick up bags and then go from T5 to T1. I know the MCT is 90 for ORD I to D but I highly doubt that it's possible in our case.
There is no reason to take 30 minutes to get off of an aeroplane even in economy - boarding , which is a lot slower can be done in less time than that. Choose seats somewhere near the door and it will be easily sub 5 minutes and get you to immigration before a lot of people; even further back 10 minutes to disembark

Picking up bags or not picking up bags will likely make little difference and there's a good chance that they will be at the carousel when having cleared immigration

Walk through Customs and throe the bags on the carousel for their onward flight and get to the other terminal

If there is a long queue at immigration and you cannot use a self service option, that could impact regardless of the time between flights, but if that situation doesn't occur , 100 will be enough time

If MCTs were not doable, then the airline would change their ones since the airline is liable for misconnections
Cymro and jason8612 like this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:07 am

Using a hertz gold membership I have been 12+ hours late several times due to flight issues.
It has never been an issue with hertz, and always had a car still available (using the ultimate choice and I'm not picky).
And I've always been charged based on when I leave the lot to when I return to the lot, regardless of reservation times.
I've only been to LAX Hertz once, and it was during the 12 hour delay (flight leaving LAX was postponed till next day, and decided to grab a car and explore rather than the shuttle to the provided hotel and be stuck there). Cars were quickly available, expect that occasionally this might not be the case, but those occasions are probably rare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.