Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Received Violation for Expired Vehicle Registration/Insurance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

When I rented my car in Michigan from Hertz in July, I was told if a cop pulls me over to just provide them the rental agreement and I'd be good to go.

I got pulled over yesterday for that specific reason. The cop said registration and insurance were expired and he gave me a ticket, and that I have to go to court to show documentation in order to remove the ticket. He said I'd have to sort it out with Hertz. I am livid. Why does Hertz provide me an expired registration to begin with? The whole inconvenience is extremely frustrating, and it's on a weekend where Hertz is closed in my area.

I'm going tomorrow to Hertz to sort it out. What compensation and what am I to do in such case?
Loren Pechtel and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: Hertz President Circle, National Executive Elite.
Originally Posted by lmasterz
When I rented my car in Michigan from Hertz in July, I was told if a cop pulls me over to just provide them the rental agreement and I'd be good to go.

I got pulled over yesterday for that specific reason. The cop said registration and insurance were expired and he gave me a ticket, and that I have to go to court to show documentation in order to remove the ticket. He said I'd have to sort it out with Hertz. I am livid. Why does Hertz provide me an expired registration to begin with? The whole inconvenience is extremely frustrating, and it's on a weekend where Hertz is closed in my area.

I'm going tomorrow to Hertz to sort it out. What compensation and what am I to do in such case?
From my knowledge base, the rental agreement is technically considered registration, but when it comes to the actual LP registration that should be a hertz problem. The computers are programed to prevent vehicles from being rented that have expired or near expiring vehicle registrations. beyond that, you can take the ticket up with Hertz.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just take it up with Hertz. Almost certain that Hertz will arrange for the documentation to be provided and, if need be, pay for a lawyer to represent you to show up and do it.

Focus on the facts and stay away from the emotion. When you wrap up, get it in writing from Hertz and then go to the extra personal expense of obtaining certified / attested copies of the dismissal from the court. Keep those documents in your safety deposit box.
narvik likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

I know hertz will take care of it for sure. It’s the inconvenience and time wasted fixing all of this that gets to me.
PilgrimsProgress and m907 like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Why does Hertz provide me an expired registration to begin with?

Why do you accept a car from Hertz with an expired registration (or an expired inspection sticker)?

Avis/Budget recently tried to give me an out-of-state-plated car with an expired registration. I refused it, and they gave me a different car.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Why does Hertz provide me an expired registration to begin with?

Why do you accept a car from Hertz with an expired registration (or an expired inspection sticker)?

Avis/Budget recently tried to give me an out-of-state-plated car with an expired registration. I refused it, and they gave me a different car.
agreed. I shouldn’t have to begin with. But as hertz, providing an expired registration shouldn’t even be an option. And I think the fact that he assured me it’ll be ok didn’t bother me much.

Anyhow, it is what it is now. Just wondering what’s a reasonable compensation.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:43 am

That happened to me, too. In 2017, Budget had the 24 hour Manhattan to the airport one-way special rate. I received a year-old+ VW Jetta with 34.5k mi and PA plates, picked up in the evening on a Sun, to be returned the next day at LGA. Once I got home to the suburbs, I noticed PA plates have an expiration date sticker, and this one was clearly past due. I called roadside assistance to at least have it documented. The agent offered me an exchange from the Manhattan location (no thanks, too far). I found in the glove box a rubber-banded plastic bag, with a printout that said "Registration submitted to the Penn DOT." Thankfully nothing happened. But I wondered what could have happened if I had been pulled over for any reason.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:06 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

It could have been much worse.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I know hertz will take care of it for sure. It’s the inconvenience and time wasted fixing all of this that gets to me.
This should not take a second over 15 minutes of your time.

Just as I always check the vehicle for physical defects and take photos just in case, I also check the documents. What happened to you has happened to me more than once, not just at Hertz. But, I simply decline the vehicle and move on.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:00 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Happened to me at National at YYZ. pick-up trucks here have different plates with the sticker on the front, not rear, plate. They comped the rental when I returned with the ticket (which they dealt with). I’d expect the same from Hertz.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:43 pm

Not if your company paid for it. You can get a better deal with enough points for a one-way premium car (1,500 currently).
briantoronto and Joonydell like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
I picked up a Minivan in Boston this summer with expired tags. I didn't realize until I was hundreds of miles away. I complained at return and was told that "oh, yeah, lots of these cars have expired tags. That doesn't stop us from renting them". Odd.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Not as bad as when the guy in Arizona got pulled over and a gun pulled on him
https://azdailysun.com/news/local/cr...083a8b80d.html
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:12 pm

I do not recall ever having any agent bring up getting pulled over by the polices, so it sounds like you started start the trip with the knowledge that the registration was expired? If that were the case, I would say you took a reasonably large risk and bear a fair portion of the responsibility for the end results here. Just asking for a different car would have been pretty simple. It has given me cause to add a check of the tag in the future as I walk around and take pictures of the car prior to departure.
narvik likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It would never occur to me to check that the registration on a Hertz vehicle is current.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.