Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Do not rent list (due to alleged misuse of corporate CDP for rentals)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do not rent list (due to alleged misuse of corporate CDP for rentals)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jimbo215
Yeah the details are still vague and if he was knowingly trying to defraud them then I get it. I'm just not sure how Hertz would know that for a certainty short of the guy admitting it. He could easily play ignorance and say he didn't know. I'm not saying Hertz is outside their rights here, but given the (admittingly vague) details so far, it could have easily been a misunderstanding that could have been alleviated without the need for something as permanent as a DNR. I've heard about people using CDPs for prepaid reservations and then were forced to pay full price at the counter because it turned out they weren't eligible for the CDP. They weren't put on a DNR.
Very easily - the use of the private CDP is admission in itself. The company can also see whether this person has done it just the once or multiple times.

Also, before taking such action, I would be very surprised if Hertz did not check with the company and verify the person's entitlemen to use the code

It would be unlikely that someone would be unaware that they are using a corporate code when making a booking ; perhaps the OP will come back and explain the whole situation

If the person was entitled to use the code, it should be fairly easy to resolve with customer relations
Auto Enthusiast and Often1 like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by jimbo215
If OP (or his friend) was caught using a CDP he wasn't supposed to, it seems pretty drastic to put them on the do not rent list. The punishment seems harsh for what I'm assuming is a first time offense that may have very well been a misunderstanding. Why didn't hertz just try to bill him/her the full price of the rental without the CDP first? I'm new to the car rental game but this seems like the punishment doesn't fit the crime, unless this is just standard for car rental agencies.
On the contrary. Nobody commits this kind of fraud just once. Hertz doesn't need customers like this so it fired the guy as a customer. Better to confer discounts on people who then make you money.
TerryK and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think it's laughable that someone with a bank account would seriously think that this entitles them to use the bank's corporate discount as an employee or member, but OTOH AmEx makes a big deal about membership having its privileges, so perhaps someone could misunderstand that having an AmEx bank account (perhaps a Gold card line of credit or an account at some offshore typically USA military facility) makes them a bank member for this purpose.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Joonydell
on the rental agreement it states "for employees/member's of company xxxx"
I presume this is Hertz because that's the forum but when I use a CDP it just list the name and number of the CDP with no additional text describing it. I don't have an RA handy to check though. Still hard to figure out what actually happened.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
I presume this is Hertz because that's the forum but when I use a CDP it just list the name and number of the CDP with no additional text describing it. I don't have an RA handy to check though. Still hard to figure out what actually happened.
If is isn't Hertz, then his suggestion to his friend to call Hertz would be rather odd
MojaveFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds to me like this could be USAA. FWIW, Avis I think requires you to input your USAA member number when reserving with the USAA discount code (whatever they call it, AWD# I think). Hilton requires your AARP number when trying to book one of their rates.
Seems Hertz is on the honor system, lol, though the rental agent can always ask for proof of eligibility.
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm curious as to how this turned out, or of the OP's friend gave up.

Part of this is we'd need more details regarding the bank and what kind of terms the CDP has. There are plenty of credit unions that offer discounts to their members for things like rental cars etc, but it depends what is being used.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.