Wiki Posts
Search

LAS prepaid rate change overcharge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:34 am
Original Poster

LAS prepaid rate change overcharge

Hello all,

I rented a minivan at a prepaid rate of 318 for the week. All fees included in this amount. Landed in Las Vegas. Delta lost one kids car seat, had to find out where it was and get a loaner. Got over to Hertz about 45 min later than expected and the whole Las Vegas offsite facility and shuttle ride added to the delay.

Didn't see my name on the Gold board, but the guy outside the gold office was happy to point me to a vehicle. Showed my ID and cc to the gate agent and was on my way.

Got home and saw the rate was different. There was an additional 400+ dollars added on to the reservation on top of the prepaid 318, and not just the hold!
Of course, I tried to call to discuss the issue, but after multiple calls, no one in the remote call centers could help and you can never reach the local office to discuss. The one phone option that might take me through to a rep to discuss billing issues hung up on me after a lengthy hold and the next time said system difficulties prevented them from receiving calls at this time.

I was only 3 miles from the car rental facility, so I drove over. After making it up to the desk, the agent said I didn't pick up my car when I stated I would so the rate changed. The pickup was 3:30 and I left the facility at 5:04 approx. After some discussion, and after he viewed my online paperwork, he adjusted the rate but said some agents would not do this.

The online terms of service says at airport locations they will hold reservations for two hours, but doesn't specify anything about the rates. When I asked him what the window for the rate was, he didn't give a straight answer. Something along the lines of, we've been seeing rate changes after 30 minutes.

Has anyone else experienced these issues? Now that I know about this, I will closely look at my paperwork before leaving the facility. This might create some issues , but it would be far easier to get the issue resolved at the gate than to have to come back later.

I would think the rate should stay the same within the window that the reservation is held for you in the terms of service,i.e. two hours at an airport location.

I can't help but feel these added charges within the hold window feel like a scam. Then the inability to get a hold of anyone to resolve the issue without driving back to the rental location seems like an attempt to stick as many people with the extra charges as possible. I imagine my rate was adjusted because I returned early in the reservation. But if one came back before your departure, there might not be time to discuss a rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.