Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Using Amex Plat Benefits With Hertz (could use some guidance)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Amex Plat Benefits With Hertz (could use some guidance)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2022, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by joeyday
My last two Hertz rentals (this month) had 3,500 and 180 miles on the odometer when I left the lot. Further proof that PC status is beneficial.
My last two Hertz rentals as PC were 40,000 mile beaters with rattles and body damage.
bbbb, Auto Enthusiast and Marko123 like this.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 6:16 am

What is your Hertz status?

Originally Posted by m907
My last two Hertz rentals as PC were 40,000 mile beaters with rattles and body damage.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by joeyday
What is your Hertz status?
Presidents Circle for several years.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 5:21 am

literally filled up the tank right before I dropped it off and they charged me 90$ for a re-fuel charge. No mam.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 8:52 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've been PC since 2016 and I haven't had any issues with Hertz. I rent equally at large airports and small ones and I've found that Hertz at small airports is typically a great experience (just show your ID and go) and at large airports the selection is close enough to what National has that I'm happy.
Old Dec 25, 2022, 6:22 pm

Of the last five rentals I have had (both on and off airport) as a PC since the pandemic, only one has been less than positive. The local Hertz office I use is standalone and not part of a repair shop. One time, the manager gave me the car he had just been driving, which was well equipped and in great shape. The current rental I have from them is as equally impressive in condition and equipment. The only bad experience was being assigned a vehicle in Hawaii (which suffers from high demand and low supply, for obvious reasons) with multiple mechanical issues. It was serviceable but disappointing on our honeymoon. The next island was much better vehicle wise.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL 3MM/DM, AA 3MM/PLT, UA 1K
AVOID HERTZ!

Hertz has been terrible this past year, and my President's Circle status offered nothing the past 5 rentals.

Two months ago, I reserved a Tesla at a local edition in Los Angeles. It was "guaranteed"--but when I arrived, no EVs were onsite. I was told go to another location; I took an Uber a few miles away to another Hertz local. There, several Tesla's and a Polestar was on site--yet they refused to honor my rental and provide any of these to me. I was told they were "reserved by others". Told to wait an hour for a "Return" that never came.

Then last week returned a car to Kona, filled up gas an hour before return had lunch just prior to return. Kona was a cluster, lines out the door.

I was told to leave car and would email me a receipt. They then charged me $87+ for all miles driven as if car was never refueled.

Wrote to customer service, who demanded a receipt. (I rarely keep a fuel receipt, but I did have the receipt with date/time stamp). Thought that would be the end of it, but Hertz customer care then they refused to honor and claimed: "We have reviewed the refueling charges and the receipt. Based on the rental documentation and receipt information provided, a refund cannot be made for the fuel charges billed. The receipt does not validate the refueling charge because the date and time stamps were not matched before the time of return. In order to investigate this matter further, we will need a copy of your date-and-time-stamped fuel receipt that indicates the vehicle was refueled shortly before the time of return. Upon receipt of the requested documentation, we will further review this charge. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.
Thank you for being our Hertz President Circle Member and giving us the opportunity to assist you. Your business is valued, and we look forward to receiving your response."

What a joke, I see the overwhelmed Kona station marked my return at 4pm (I returned about 1pm, as my flight departed just after 2pm.

The once-great Hertz has deteriorated so badly, I recommend Avis to others.
Auto Enthusiast and anteater like this.

Last edited by wschild; Jan 1, 2023 at 2:41 pm
Old Mar 15, 2023, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by duffmankc
Data point from my rental this weekend. I have both Amex platinum and Venture X cards and they are both in my Hertz profile. When searching rates on Hertz, searching with the platinum saved around $100, so I used these rates. Since I reserved about 48 hours before my flight I went ahead and prepaid to save more money. When checking out and paying, since I have both cards in my profile, even thought the Amex card was the default I went ahead and changed it to the Venture X and paid with that at reservation and the rate didn't change. I dropped the car off yesterday and got the receipt and the Amex rate was honored. Also note, through the Venture X I also got to use President's circle and ultimate choice on this rental.
Long story short, yes the terms say you have to pay with Amex platinum, but paying with a different card worked fine and cause no problems whatsoever.
My wife has the Amex plat but I'd like to book with my venture x. If I add her card to my profile, can I confidently use her plat CDP but pay with my venture? Do they ever ask to see the physical card and, if so, I'm guessing it would be an issue that my wife's name is on the card? She'll be with me if it makes any difference.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 7:55 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by whataidiot
My wife has the Amex plat but I'd like to book with my venture x. If I add her card to my profile, can I confidently use her plat CDP but pay with my venture? Do they ever ask to see the physical card and, if so, I'm guessing it would be an issue that my wife's name is on the card? She'll be with me if it makes any difference.
You should be fine in this scenario. It is done all the time with zero problems.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 8:31 am

Customer service is certainly no better as a PC
I just a returned a car with bald tires (confirmed by the local Hertz mechanic as below legal tire tread).
Telephone customer service response: "You should have checked the tires before taking the car".

Is there anything else we should check before renting from Hertz? Air filters, brake pad wear, air bag sensor?
I thought a minimum requirement would be that the car is legal to drive. Apparently this is too much too expect
Old Apr 3, 2023, 10:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Tried matching my Hertz Account with Presidential Status with Platinum card

I never used Hertz before so I opened a Hertz account and tried matching my Hertz Account with Presidential Status with Platinum card. It shows President status online and on on app. So I booked the car, but when I picked up the car the following week they said I am a first time Hertz user and that I need to be gold first and I won't be president until the next trip. Is this true? My app shows President status but their computer shows first time gold.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 9:46 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Not true in my experience. However, you probably need to stop by the counter for ID verification.

When I status matched to Hertz several years ago, I was given PC and able to use PC benefits on the first rental.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.