Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Why car booked at Herz via third party costs less than at Hetz itself?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years

Story - I am President's Circle member, residing outside of US and have non-US DL. All this information is listed at my Hertz profile.

In June I am coming to US for five days road trip - picking up car at at Reno and dropping off at Bay Area. At Hertz website I could not find a rate for compact/standard car cheaper than $350 - I tried to use different CDPs and other options, but result was the same.

Then I went to rentalcars.com and got a car for these five days for $266. It supposed to include all fees and charges, including (if there is such) - one way charges. I called both rentalcars.com and Hertz and both told me that what I got in my email, it is all the charges and I should not be charged more.

OK, great, but I do understand that because reservation was made by third part and it is prepaid, than it won't be listed/counted towards my Hertz rental. I called PC number and asked - I would be very happy if they can match the rental rate from rentalcars.com so I can have a car booked directly at Hertz. But the rep is telling me that cheapest rate they can give me is $340 for this rental.

Could anyone explain why is such? And while I might like Hertz, money talks and I have absolutely zero desire for the same rental pay 30% more.
Old May 9, 2019, 2:04 pm

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/rental-car-deals/best-rate

If you meet all the requirements, you can file a best rate gurarantee claim
Old May 9, 2019, 2:07 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

The answer is that different rates are offered depending on your point-of-sale location (i.e. country), booking site, and whether you are willing to prepay or not. Rental companies segment their customers in various ways, and it's not uncommon at all to find different rates in different channels.

Usually, you cannot apply frequent renter numbers (like Hertz Gold) to prepaid reservations that are booked anywhere other than the rental company's own website. For pay-later (pay at the counter) reservations you can almost always add your Gold# if you like.

You can try using the link below to get a quote as you might find a lower rate. Just keep in mind that the same rules apply--you can only add your Gold# to non-prepaid deals.

Originally Posted by xeron72
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/rental-car-deals/best-rate

If you meet all the requirements, you can file a best rate gurarantee claim
BRGs do not apply to discounted rates or prepaid rates. From the Hertz BRG page:

The following exclusions apply:
  • Rate from other car rental companies.
  • Rates obtained through use of discounts, coupons, upgrade offers, pre-negotiated (e.g. group, government, corporate, tour, insurance replacement rental or in some cases online travel agencies)or similar rates.
  • Car rental components of inclusive, package or other bulk, bundled or similar non-retail rates.
  • Pre-paid, discounted rates (whether found on or outside of Hertz.com) cannot be compared to non-pre-paid (“pay later”) or pre-paid, discounted (“pay now”) rates obtained from Hertz.com.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 10, 2019 at 3:54 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old May 9, 2019, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
Story - I am President's Circle member, residing outside of US and have non-US DL. All this information is listed at my Hertz profile.
Where do you live? Are you using the US Hertz website or that of your home country? The latter should provide a quote that includes insurance and it's often cheaper than booking on the US website.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Yllanes
Where do you live? Are you using the US Hertz website or that of your home country? The latter should provide a quote that includes insurance and it's often cheaper than booking on the US website.
Singapore. When going to Hertz website, in upper right corner it shows as ENG/SG and contact numbers are shown as local Singapore number. Yet, the same situation is here.

So, do I understand correctly that BRG is not applicable in my case?
Old May 13, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
BRGs do not apply to discounted rates or prepaid rates. From the Hertz BRG page:
  • Pre-paid, discounted rates (whether found on or outside of Hertz.com) cannot be compared to non-pre-paid (“pay later”) or pre-paid, discounted (“pay now”) rates obtained from Hertz.com.
I read that last restriction as saying terms have to be comparable to claim BRG, not that prepaid rates are all excluded, though it isn’t really clear what “discounted” means. If it just means “lower than the rate we’re offering”, then that wouldn’t that mean BRG doesn’t apply ever?

Last edited by strickerj; May 13, 2019 at 5:34 am
Old May 13, 2019, 7:39 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by strickerj

I read that last restriction as saying terms have to be comparable to claim BRG, not that prepaid rates are all excluded, though it isn’t really clear what “discounted” means. If it just means “lower than the rate we’re offering”, then that wouldn’t that mean BRG doesn’t apply ever?
It's actually that all prepaid rates are excluded.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
It's actually that all prepaid rates are excluded.
Any idea why they wouldn’t just say prepaid rates are excluded then? It’s almost as if they’ve intentionally worded it to be confusing considering it took more effort to write it the way they did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.