Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earning Direct to Airline or Transfer?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Cards: JPMR, United Quest, Chase Ink Bus Cash, Chase Freedom U, Citi Costco, AmEx Blue
Earning Direct to Airline or Transfer?

While I couldn't find it in the search, I believe someone must have posted this (so apologies for any duplication).

I have Hertz Five Star status through United Premier. I see in Five Star that I can transfer the Hertz points to airlines, but I also see I can earn directly to an airline. Given that I have the mid-level tier membership and there's a bonus, is it better to retain the points with Hertz and then convert to miles or just earn miles directly?

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
You can typically earn a LOT more miles by earning them directly rather than converting Hertz points. You'll earn at least 500 UA miles for a Hertz rental, and notably more if you have United status or one of their credit cards. It sounds like you're Hertz Five Star. If you are, you'll earn 1.25 points per $ spent (not including taxes and fees), and can convert 600 points into 500 miles, effectively earning slightly more than one UA miles per Hertz $ spent. So, even in the most favorable case for "earn Hertz points and exchange," your rental would need to be over $500 (before taxes and fees) to break even.

Generally, converting Hertz points to anything else is a terrible deal.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Cards: JPMR, United Quest, Chase Ink Bus Cash, Chase Freedom U, Citi Costco, AmEx Blue
Thanks for the help!

So, to clarify should I uncheck "Yes, I want to earn Hertz Gold Plus Rewards"? It says "FT Program Number(s) will only be retained for reservations on Hertz.com," so does that mean each time I rent if my corporate travel portal books it that I'd have to go to the counter and tell them? The way I read it I can imagine if I uncheck the earn Hertz Gold Plus Rewards item actually means I don't earn anything at all, so I wanted to check.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by schalliol
Thanks for the help!

So, to clarify should I uncheck "Yes, I want to earn Hertz Gold Plus Rewards"? It says "FT Program Number(s) will only be retained for reservations on Hertz.com," so does that mean each time I rent if my corporate travel portal books it that I'd have to go to the counter and tell them? The way I read it I can imagine if I uncheck the earn Hertz Gold Plus Rewards item actually means I don't earn anything at all, so I wanted to check.
Ah, this gets more complex. If you're booking through a corporate travel portal, at (presumably) your corporate rate, then you may not be eligible to earn miles, but only Hertz points. To earn miles on the rentals, you'd need to use the United rate (aka CDP) code, but if this is corporate travel, it's probably using your company's code.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Good point. I don’t think we got a special rate, but they like us to book there. At any rate, did you uncheck the box I mentioned to earn miles?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by schalliol
Good point. I don’t think we got a special rate, but they like us to book there. At any rate, did you uncheck the box I mentioned to earn miles?
If you uncheck that box (assuming your travel portal is Concur or something similar), you won't earn Hertz points or get benefits like Ultimate Choice or upgrades. If you're booking through your company portal, not sure there's any way to earn anything other than Hertz points...
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Okay, thanks! I guess we'll see what happens!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.