Wiki Posts
Search

Worth transferring points to United?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott PP, Hertz PC, HH Diamond
Worth transferring points to United?

Not sure who else was targeted by this, or if it's a global promotion, but I received a promotion to transfer Hertz points to United MileagePlus at a rate of 600 hertz = 625 united miles (normal redemption is 600 hertz = 500 united).

I was trying to do some math, but was struggling to find the value of a Hertz points (because of differences in day vs weekend vs week, and then airport vs local, and then tax/fees, etc.). But was curious what other people have done in the past, and think about the offer.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by enthrop
Not sure who else was targeted by this, or if it's a global promotion, but I received a promotion to transfer Hertz points to United MileagePlus at a rate of 600 hertz = 625 united miles (normal redemption is 600 hertz = 500 united).

I was trying to do some math, but was struggling to find the value of a Hertz points (because of differences in day vs weekend vs week, and then airport vs local, and then tax/fees, etc.). But was curious what other people have done in the past, and think about the offer.
IMO horrible rate. 600 Hertz points gets you a free day (variable value). That being said, I think it's reasonable to expect a $50 value for 600pts (i.e. not use points when rates are dirt cheap). I've gone as high as $150 for 550 points - but that was on a weekend in NYC. Even if you considered using points for a $30/day rate, I think you're miles ahead of the United value. (12.5k miles for domestic one way?)
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott PP, Hertz PC, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by klanfa
IMO horrible rate. 600 Hertz points gets you a free day (variable value). That being said, I think it's reasonable to expect a $50 value for 600pts (i.e. not use points when rates are dirt cheap). I've gone as high as $150 for 550 points - but that was on a weekend in NYC. Even if you considered using points for a $30/day rate, I think you're miles ahead of the United value. (12.5k miles for domestic one way?)
... and this is what happens when I try to think through this before my first cup of coffee. Obvious math seems to escape me.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:26 pm

Hertz has been emailing me pushing points transfers every few weeks or so, most recently this afternoon. Maybe there's untapped demand from people who want to buy a domestic airline award ticket with ~$3k worth of Hertz points, but I'm certainly not interested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.