Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Interesting Hertz Rental (Upgraded to Car With Non-Functional Dashboard Display)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting Hertz Rental (Upgraded to Car With Non-Functional Dashboard Display)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium

I booked the cheapest car in Ponta Delgada, Portugal. Mini with manual transmission. Get to counter at airport, agent says that I’m upgraded to a new Mercedes with 1000 miles on it and it’s an automatic.

Tells me that the display has an issue, so just put 10 euro in gas in it before I return it. Weird, but I’ve been flying for many hours and am happy with the non stick. I get to the car and when I turn it on the display doesn’t work as advertised, but that includes the speedometer and everything. I don’t know how fast I’m going and I can’t even see what gear I’m in unless I look at the shifter.

The car is nice though.

Hopefully the tank was filled when I got the car. Not too many speed traps here so I should be ok.
AutoSlash likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 27, 2018 at 3:58 am Reason: added details to thread title
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:39 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Guess they don't make those new Mercedes like they used to.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 1:04 am

How do you know it's only got 1000 miles on it if the display doesnt work?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:07 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by Bjam99
How do you know it's only got 1000 miles on it if the display doesnt work?
Probably because that's what the listed mileage was on the rental contract. Who knows if it was correct though.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA MM
I find I am very bad at judging my speed in a rental without the speedometer. Once I had one (analog) just die; I presume a wheel rev sensor or cable broke. But it had a tach (which I always think is silly in an automatic) and I managed to calibrate it to speed (at least in the high gear) by clocking mile markers on the highway. That sounds like a lot of hassle, but I was not comfortable really not knowing how fast I was going on sometimes winding roads.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
There's a setting in Waze that will show a speedometer in the corner of the screen. It's not perfect, but I usually find it's within an MPH or two of what the car's displaying.
jackal likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
There's a setting in Waze that will show a speedometer in the corner of the screen. It's not perfect, but I usually find it's within an MPH or two of what the car's displaying.
IME, a well-programmed GPS-based speedometer is often more accurate than the one in the dashboard, which can suffer from a number of calibration issues (everything from physical gauge adjustment to slightly over/under-inflated tires).
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
I did use Waze most of the time for checking my speed. It really wasn’t necessary though. I just followed the flow.
I think the agent made up the 1000 Miles thing. The rental agreement said 0.0 (Mr Blutarsky). I mistakenly thought it was a Mercedes, but it was a lowly BMW. I did get screwed on gas though. I was worried I’d run out so I filled the tank after 75 or so miles and put in almost 30 liters. I filled it up after another 40 Miles before I returned it and only put in 7 liters. Still was glad to get a nice automatic, especially with all the hills there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.