Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz charging additional rental days after breakdown and car returned

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / AA Plat

I am looking for insight into this situation.
I had a rental car with a contract for 3 days - rented with Amex Plat and using AMEX Premium Car Rental Protection (I am President Circle with Hertz). On the third day the car broke down (GM product with 2,000 miles) a couple of hours before I needed to go to the airport.
Called Road Service and they sent a tow truck, truck picked up the car and then I called for confirmation that it was received by Hertz.

The week after, I get the E-Return statement with 5 additional days billed. Customer service says it is because they did not get the car back to the same location (airport location) until that day, and that I would get no break on the bill.

If anyone has been on a similar situation, let me know. It seems strange they would just tack on whatever days they feel like to the rental, without me having control of the timeline.

Thx
Old Apr 25, 2018, 4:41 pm

So where did the car actually go in that time? To the dealer for repairs? If it's a mechanical defect, you shouldn't be charged. Have you tried asking Hertz customer service on Twitter? Airing their dirty laundry seems to help a lot of others here.
AutoSlash likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:02 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Agree that you should not have to pay. Start with Twitter as @Auto Enthusiast suggested and keep escalating from there. The problem is that the computer system doesn't know how to handle this situation. Someone at the manager or higher level at Hertz needs to intervene to make a manual adjustment. If all else fails, you can try contacting Chris Elliott, but I wouldn't think it would come to that.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As long as it was a mechanical issue and so not your responsibility, there is no reason for you to be charged

I would suspect that the charging is an error based on when the location marked the car as returned and closed it

Have you spoken to customer relations to get the charge cancelled?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Forget about the phone. Use the webform. Make your submission clear & concise on the point that there was a mechanical defect on a brand new vehicle.

At the same time, make sure that you don't have a time deadline to at least notify your travel insurance of the possible claim in the event that Hertz persists and will not issue a refund.

This also seems to be an easy chargeback dispute, but you do need to recognize that Hertz has a habit of placing customers with what amount to unpaid debts on its DNR list.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

I did speak with someone on the main customer service number before I posted and she indicated that they closed the contract when the car made it back to the originating location. She could not explain where it was the extra days.
Thanks all for the advice.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nictalope
I did speak with someone on the main customer service number before I posted and she indicated that they closed the contract when the car made it back to the originating location. She could not explain where it was the extra days.
Thanks all for the advice.
Maybe an employee "borrowed" it for personal use? Could the needed repairs have reasonably taken five days?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

I called from the plane and talked to Road Service and they confirmed they had picked it up (before my original due back time). Repairs could have taken that long (transmission would not change out of first, followed by check engine light), but they did not provide any detail - very, very unhelpful people, this as been the first time I have needed to call in along time. I rent about 75 days per year.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
..Could the needed repairs have reasonably taken five days?
.. Repairs could have taken that long (transmission would not change out of first, followed by check engine light), but they did not provide any detail - very, very unhelpful people, this as been the first time I have needed to call in along time.
Was the 5 days over a weekend?
And repairs on new cars can take days and days.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:22 pm

I called from the plane and talked to Road Service and they confirmed they had picked it up (before my original due back time). Repairs could have taken that long (transmission would not change out of first, followed by check engine light), but they did not provide any detail - very, very unhelpful people, this as been the first time I have needed to call in along time. I rent about 75 days per year.
Given that it seems to be mechanical issues and so not your responsibility, if customer service has not agreed to refund those extra days, I would suggest disputing the charge with the credit card company

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.