Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz PlatePass (States that Use E-ZPass) Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2024, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Note for renters in NYC - Starting June 30, 2024 (pending final approval), be aware of the congestion fee/toll that will be assessed via PlatePass or personal transponder if you drive into the Congestion Relief Zone that includes all local streets and avenues in Manhattan south of and including 60 Street, excluding the FDR Drive, West Side Highway/Route 9A, and the Hugh L. Carey Tunnel connections to West Street.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-...30-2024-a.html
Print Wikipost

Hertz PlatePass (States that Use E-ZPass) Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I assume this was the Elizabeth River tunnels. The tolls are collected electronically, there are no toll booths. If you didn't pay the toll (and you had not agreed to platepass at the time of rental) then you would be assessed a couple of administrative fees which would probably come close to your total. If you agreed to plate pass then:
Fee: Hertz customers will pay a service fee of $4.95 per rental day, including any days when customers do not use PlatePass®, plus the posted cash toll rate for any incurred tolls. The maximum service charge (excluding tolls) is $24.75 per month. After the rental car is returned, your credit card will be charged separately for the posted cash toll rate for the tolls used (as opposed to any discounted electronic toll rate) and the applicable service fee. Charges will appear on your credit card by PlatePass®. You will receive an itemized listing of all tolls and charges by mail.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Is there any way to pay that Norfolk tunnel toll online after you go through so that it doesn't go to the platepass ripoff scam?

I've driven in CA and you can pay your toll online within 24hrs after going through by just putting in the license place number and on/off ramp info and using a CC. Doesn't get sent to the rental car company that way.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by rylan
Is there any way to pay that Norfolk tunnel toll online after you go through so that it doesn't go to the platepass ripoff scam?

I've driven in CA and you can pay your toll online within 24hrs after going through by just putting in the license place number and on/off ramp info and using a CC. Doesn't get sent to the rental car company that way.
Yes.
https://www.driveert.com/paybyplate/missedToll.php
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:12 pm

platepass fradulent toll charges

Rented car in November from Hertz in NJ, just to get to hotel in Princeton and business meeting in Princeton area. Returned to Newark Hertz 3 days later. Total mileage on car 107. Saw on credit card bill $50 charge from plate pass for toll charges on a day I was in meetings all day and parked in the company car park. The toll charges span 3.5 hours and a journey from central NY to fort McHenry toll maryland a distance of 189miles. No way are these charges mine. Complained to Hertz who did not want to know and told me to contact platepass. Contacted platepass who will investigate the charges. This seems like a scam to me. Are platepass charging hertz business customers charges they did not incur hoping that the customer will not notice? Hertz should not be in business with these people. Hoping to see refund from platepass but may just go ahead and dispute charge with credit card company.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:37 pm

Exclamation Cascading Aggravation

I did everything right and still was charged with PlatePass paying the toll and excessive processing fees.

Last summer, I rented a van from Hertz for a long weekend and declined the PlatePass option for the rental. As I knew I would be travelling on toll roads, I took along my own EZPass transponder. When going through an EZPass toll booth in New Hampshire, there is an electronic message board that tells you if the EZPass toll has been accepted. This time, it flashed up a message to "call EZPass". I called EZPass and they told me that for some reason, the EZPass transponder acceptance failed, but did not know why. They told me that I could log onto their online system and pay the toll if this was within 3 days of this toll paying failure. Online, one pays the toll, gives the plate number of the vehicle, date, approximate time of the problem, the toll booth location and lane. They say that, as long as this is done, that no toll violation records will go out, etc. So, I did all this and printed out the transaction record and receipt for my records.

Weeks later, a charge of over $15 on my VISA. This had no references to the Hertz rental, so initially I had no idea what this was for until I called my bank who was able to identify that the charge must relate to my car rental. However, on the VISA statement there was a telephone number on the line beside this charge. Also, I never got a violation notice from PlatePass or Hertz explaining what this was for. So, I called the telephone number mentioned above to find that this charge was for the same toll that I had paid long ago and had the receipt for. The PlatePass phone rep, they told me that they had photo verification of the toll violation and confirmation that I was in possession of the rental car at the time of the violation. I told them that I had proof of paying the toll (both the online printed receipt and the charge on my VISA for $1 to EZPass. I was told I must still pay the bill. So, I called Hertz Customer service where I was told that all resolutions on toll violations must be done through PlatePass. So, Hertz tries to pass off all complaints to their subcontractor and will take no responsibility for the poor performance of their subcontractor. I called PlatePass again and it took 2 levels of supervisors above their "customer service" rep to get anyone who would listen. Anyway, I faxed this person a copy of my receipts and was then told that I should expect processing and reversal of the charges on my VISA within 10 days and email verification to me. This did not happen. I called PlatePass again and was then told that their backlog of complaints was so large that I could not expect resolution for up to 6 weeks more! It then took more demands to talk to higher ups before I got a supervisor who would expedite my resolution and do what I was promised. Anyway, I did end up getting the charge refunded on my VISA but the aggravation and poor performance of both PlatePass and EZPass was "beyond the pale".
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Submit a complaint to the BBB about the poor service and false charges.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by rylan
Submit a complaint to the BBB about the poor service and false charges.
BBB is a toothless organization. Write your AG and that of the state in which it occurred.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:36 pm

I will be driving from Buffalo across to Niagara and back. I am renting through hertz. What would you guys recommend? Can I pay the toll through cash enroute?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by nit407
I will be driving from Buffalo across to Niagara and back. I am renting through hertz. What would you guys recommend? Can I pay the toll through cash enroute?
Unless things have changed since last year, the tollbooth at the bridge (can't remember the name) has a cash lane - use that
Old Jun 17, 2015, 2:18 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
I recently got a bad experience for rental with Hertz on NJ. Upon renting a car I asked their sales rep about EZ-Pass and how it would work, he said that you just drive with EZ-Pass lanes with your transponder box open and tolls will be charged automatically from your credit card few weeks after rental period. She also mentioned that there will be administrative fee of $4.95 per day, but only for the days you actually use EZ-Pass. At this moment I felt that the service is great, in case I need to use toll roads where there are only EZ-Pass booths that don't have any cash lanes I'm good!

When returning the car to EWR I chose to use toll roads to get to the airport for the comfort and knowing the exact amount I have to pay to Hertz.

So I had rented a car for 7 days and only used toll roads with this device once 1,5 hours before returning. Few other days I used cash with box closed! Cost to go through one $2.15 toll when returning to EWR was actually $26.9 when added with their "admin fee"

Now that I've actually read the whole 14-page rental agreement I know it's written in the rental agreement, but still it's very questionable to charge for the whole rental period when you only use it in one day and also that their employee gave completely wrong information on this practice!

Do you think I might stand a chance for some kind of compensation if complaining to Hertz Customer Relations or do they ignore me based on that it's written inside the agreement?
Old Jun 18, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Furry
I recently got a bad experience for rental with Hertz on NJ. Upon renting a car I asked their sales rep about EZ-Pass and how it would work, he said that you just drive with EZ-Pass lanes with your transponder box open and tolls will be charged automatically from your credit card few weeks after rental period. She also mentioned that there will be administrative fee of $4.95 per day, but only for the days you actually use EZ-Pass. At this moment I felt that the service is great, in case I need to use toll roads where there are only EZ-Pass booths that don't have any cash lanes I'm good!

When returning the car to EWR I chose to use toll roads to get to the airport for the comfort and knowing the exact amount I have to pay to Hertz.

So I had rented a car for 7 days and only used toll roads with this device once 1,5 hours before returning. Few other days I used cash with box closed! Cost to go through one $2.15 toll when returning to EWR was actually $26.9 when added with their "admin fee"

Now that I've actually read the whole 14-page rental agreement I know it's written in the rental agreement, but still it's very questionable to charge for the whole rental period when you only use it in one day and also that their employee gave completely wrong information on this practice!

Do you think I might stand a chance for some kind of compensation if complaining to Hertz Customer Relations or do they ignore me based on that it's written inside the agreement?
Honestly, I'm skeptical that you'll get anything back. That said, it certainly can't hurt to try. Emphasize that:

(a) you were explicitly told by the rep that you'd only be charged the $4.95 fee for the days you used the EZ Pass, not for every day of the rental. If you can remember anything about the rep, name, appearance, etc., that would help your case here.
(b) make it clear that you have no objection to paying the toll you were charged, plus the $4.95 fee for that single day.

Let us know how it goes.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 2:42 am

Programs: AA Life-Plat 5MM, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, UA, BA
At the end of May I rented a Hertz car in NYC. I did Not pull the Plate-Pass out of its "drawer". I used my own EZ-Pass which is Not registered to a specific car. All my tolls (4-5) appear on my EZ-pass acct and statement (about $20). So- my EZ-pass definitely worked!
A few days ago my Amex card (used for the rental) was charged $134 by American Traffic Solutions. But Amex rejected this charge Automatically.
I sent Hertz a message (with rental agreement number, etc.) that must be some mistake. So far no answer.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IntFF
....A few days ago my Amex card (used for the rental) was charged $134 by American Traffic Solutions. But Amex rejected this charge Automatically.....
That's odd. Hertz uses PlatePass to charge EZpass tolls while ATS is for traffic violations (speed cameras etc).
Old Jun 22, 2015, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by IntFF
At the end of May I rented a Hertz car in NYC. I did Not pull the Plate-Pass out of its "drawer". I used my own EZ-Pass which is Not registered to a specific car. All my tolls (4-5) appear on my EZ-pass acct and statement (about $20).
I do this all the time (about 2x/month). Pull the Hertz Ezpass off the windshield (in its box), stick in in the glove compartment, put my Ezpass on the windshield, and away I go. Never had a problem.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
That's odd. Hertz uses PlatePass to charge EZpass tolls while ATS is for traffic violations (speed cameras etc).
I bet that's it. Maybe IntFF got caught by one of NYC's (sadly insufficient) speed cameras?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.