Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz PlatePass (States that Use E-ZPass) Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz PlatePass (States that Use E-ZPass) Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:28 pm

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
I feel your pain, having surrendered voluntarily to the rental agencies' various toll collection schemes (including Hertz PlatePass) and even then getting hit with defective tags and unexpected charges.

MA EZPass transponders don't beep, so that's not a reason to worry in and of itself. However, the tolls definitely would have appeared in your account by now if they were going to. With few data points out there on how the MA all-electronic-tolling works, one can speculate that perhaps the computer system read both, detected a discrepancy, and decided for some reason to go with the plate account? It also seems that MA has a difficult time sending bills to motorists outside the New England states - unlikely in your case, but you never know...
Old Nov 30, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by lonelycrowd
I feel your pain, having surrendered voluntarily to the rental agencies' various toll collection schemes (including Hertz PlatePass) and even then getting hit with defective tags and unexpected charges.

MA EZPass transponders don't beep, so that's not a reason to worry in and of itself. However, the tolls definitely would have appeared in your account by now if they were going to. With few data points out there on how the MA all-electronic-tolling works, one can speculate that perhaps the computer system read both, detected a discrepancy, and decided for some reason to go with the plate account? It also seems that MA has a difficult time sending bills to motorists outside the New England states - unlikely in your case, but you never know...
Thanks for the replies. I expect that I will get a PlatePass bill sometime in the future. I will contact MA EZ-Pass to see if they can enlighten me.

Originally Posted by guv1976
Perhaps the transponder itself is defective -- damaged in the mail, maybe? Was it mounted properly on the windshield, in the correct place, and unobstructed?
Thanks for your reply. I'm thinking it might be defective. I attached my transponder to the existing Velcro that were in place to hold the PlatePass transponder/box.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 29, 2018 at 5:09 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Dec 1, 2016, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by misterfuss
Thanks for your reply. I'm thinking it might be defective. I attached my transponder to the existing Velcro that were in place to hold the PlatePass transponder/box.
If your transponder itself is not defective, the only other explanation I can think of is that using the existing mounting strips for your uncased transponder might have resulted in your transponder's being in an unreadable position. With an encased transponder, the transponder unit swings or slides out when ready to be used, so it's no longer in the same position on the windshield as the case itself. Just speculation on my part.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:04 pm

With MA you often have to wait until your statement posts. No worries.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I just logged into my E-Z Pass MA account after several days of ignoring it and I see that I have been debited the amounts of the tolls. Oddly enough, it appears that one of my tolls took 4 days to post, the next 2 took a full week to post, and the last 2 took 5 days to post.

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA MM
MA just switched over to all electronic tolls, either EZ Pass or optical recognition of license plate and US Mail bill. So things may have been a bit bogged down at first. A couple of notes:

If you have a rental and don't use the transponder, the bill will still be sent to the registered owner of the car )the rental company) and I'm sure you will still get charged the Plate Pass outrageous daily fees. So the OP was wise to get an EZ Pass!

Position of the transponder is far from critical. We have three cars and two transponders. We've never affixed the transponder to the windshield. We just toss 'em on the dash some place when we take a different car. And only two of the cars are registered. Doesn't matter at all.

EZ Pass works up and down the east coast down to Delaware I think, so it can be useful.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:20 pm

Sorry to bring this up as it so frustrating. Where are the transponders on hertz cars now?They are definitely not on the windshield. I am so tired of paying cash on the Dulles toll Road and assuming I don't have a transponder only to get hit with fee. How do I figure out where the transponder is?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Brattflyer
Sorry to bring this up as it so frustrating. Where are the transponders on hertz cars now?They are definitely not on the windshield. I am so tired of paying cash on the Dulles toll Road and assuming I don't have a transponder only to get hit with fee. How do I figure out where the transponder is?
In general, Hertz do not use transponders. (There are a few states where they do, but VA isn't one of them).

They instead rely on the video-based license plate detection use the toll roads. If your toll is paid by some other means (cash, your own transponder, etc) then the license plate will not be charged, and thus you won't be charged anything by Hertz/Platepass. If you pass through without paying, your license plate photo is taken, which goes to Hertz/Platepass, who then pass it on with the additional fee.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by docbert
In general, Hertz do not use transponders. (There are a few states where they do, but VA isn't one of them).

They instead rely on the video-based license plate detection use the toll roads. If your toll is paid by some other means (cash, your own transponder, etc) then the license plate will not be charged, and thus you won't be charged anything by Hertz/Platepass.
This trip I paid by cash. At the second to the last toll booth I get ready to pay and the toll taker says, "sorry the computer already has charged you." This is the scam part that drives me nuts. I go out of my way to pay cash or avoid the tolls and then I'm stuck with the $20+ fee when this happens. At this point I don't want to change from Hertz so I guess my only hope is to avoid the toll road entirely. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old May 1, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond

They instead rely on the video-based license plate detection use the toll roads. If your toll is paid by some other means (cash, your own transponder, etc) then the license plate will not be charged, and thus you won't be charged anything by Hertz/Platepass. If you pass through without paying, your license plate photo is taken, which goes to Hertz/Platepass, who then pass it on with the additional fee.
Actually there still are some tolls in VA that still require a transponder such as 267 East and 267 West, the latter being one that won't even let the gate open if your transponder isn't working. Also you are required to have a transponder to use the 495 & 95 HOT lanes in Northern VA, even though it may seem other wise.

I'm not sure about other locations, but at Dulles you can ask the exit attendant to give you a transponder.
Old May 10, 2017, 7:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
In general, Hertz do not use transponders. (There are a few states where they do, but VA isn't one of them)...
The Sentra we picked up at IAD last week had a VA plate, only 1800 miles on it, and a transponder on the windshield with instructions to open it up if we wanted to use it. So apparently some VA cars (or at least one) have them.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by am1108
Actually there still are some tolls in VA that still require a transponder such as 267 East and 267 West, the latter being one that won't even let the gate open if your transponder isn't working. Also you are required to have a transponder to use the 495 & 95 HOT lanes in Northern VA, even though it may seem other wise.

I'm not sure about other locations, but at Dulles you can ask the exit attendant to give you a transponder.
Ditto on the Ohio Turnpike; good luck exiting with PlatePass. The gate will not raise unless you have a functioning EZPass or iPass transponder. There are gates in all lanes.

The Kansas tollway is another road I can think of where you will encounter that situation. What's worse is, they have their own proprietary "Kansas Pass", which is not compatible with EZPass or iPass. So even if you come prepared with your own EZPass, it won't work.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: Southwest
Get a North Carolina QuickPass for East Coast tolls

If you have been stung by PlatePass toll charges for East Coast car rentals, I would suggest investing in a North Carolina QuickPass. The hard case QuickPass is not only compatible at all E-ZPass facilities in 16 states, but it also works with the Georgia Peachpass and Florida SunPass systems.

The QuickPass is able to do this as it has dual protocols (5.9 ghz for E-ZPass and 6c for PeachPass and SunPass) built into the transponder, whereas a generic E-ZPass is 5.9 ghz only at the present time.

If you get a suction cup windshield mount from an auto parts store you can move the hard case QuickPass around from rental car to rental car and avoid ever having to pay a PlatePass fee.

Confirmation:
https://www.myncquickpass.com/en/about/facilities.shtml

Last edited by sunpass; Jul 2, 2017 at 7:32 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:42 pm

Hertz PlatePass (States that Use E-Z Pass) Thread

Originally Posted by jackal
Not to take this too far off-topic, but it's worth mentioning that picking up a transponder yourself to avoid having to use the rental company's is generally pretty easy--and that avoids the whole scam entirely.

FWIW, I carry three toll passes with me:

-E-ZPass issued by Massachusetts (no monthly fee and no charge for the transponder device itself); it lives in one of the compartments in my backpack and works on all E-ZPass roads (Illinois to Maine). Free transponder with payment of a $25 starter balance
-NTTA Starter TollTag; the sticker version (without protective cover removed) lives in my wallet and works on all toll roads in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. Free tag with payment of a $20 starter balance.
-SunPass; the sticker version (without protective cover removed) lives in my wallet and works on all toll roads from Florida to North Carolina. Initial cost was $4.99 plus a minimum $10 starter balance.

The sticker ones are supposed to be attached to the windshield to work, but I've found they work fine just holding them up against the windshield when you go under a toll gantry.

It's three accounts online to create, but it's easy enough to set them up for credit card replenishment and just forget about them (unless you need to change cards).

And no, none of these agencies care one iota whether your mailing/billing addresses are in their service area. Massachusetts happily mailed me my E-ZPass to Pennsylvania despite the PA Turnpike operating its own E-ZPass product, though if you happen to actually be in Massachusetts, you can of course grab one there.

(I used to have a Bay Area FasTrak transponder, but heaven knows where it is, and fortunately, I don't drive toll roads in California very often. The day when all these systems meet Congressionally-mandated interoperability will definitely be nice...)
I just read part of the MA EZ Pass info and it says:Other Vehicles

Can I use my transponder in another vehicle?
Your transponder may be used in another vehicle as long as all license plates are listed on your account and all vehicles are the same class.

So do you enter the plate number into your account before you leave the rental car area (that's what they say to do)? I just got back from a trip to NYC and was so tired by the time I got to the rental car that I just opened up the EZ Pass and used it. Four days, two crossing of the Tappan Zee bridge cost me $36.75, so I'm looking for a workaround. Thanks for any insight.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:52 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

None of he states really care about the license plate despite what they might say. As long as the EZ Pass gets scanned all is good. It does not have to match a license plate that is associated with that account/transponder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.