Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz PlatePass (General Discussion) Thread [New Charge Policy, Eff. Feb 2018]

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 13, 18, 8:35 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Wiki Link
Link to Hertz's PlatePass page and FAQ - https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...nited%20States
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 2, 07, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Has anybody used the PlatePass through Hertz? How is it? Which airport did you rent from?

Last edited by dagrin; Nov 21, 11 at 8:43 pm Reason: Clarified Title
Old Feb 4, 07, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL Platinum & MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
PlatePass still works as described here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ight=platepass

Hertz does seem to have expanded the program; the agreement I got this weekend also listed Boston, DC, Philly, Baltimore, and Atlantic City.
Old Mar 8, 11, 6:09 am

Programs: AA Platinum, PC Plat, Hertz 5*
I just rented from ACY and they the sign behind the counter clearly said they used plate pass. My car did not have plate pass. I went through two tolls which I will now likely be billed for.
Old Mar 8, 11, 8:05 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
YOu will get two tickets? If the car didn't have platepass why did you go through the tolls with out paying?
Old Mar 9, 11, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by HWGeeks View Post
YOu will get two tickets? If the car didn't have platepass why did you go through the tolls with out paying?
I thought toll pass meant that you did not need to have a transponder in the car (aka the slidy thingy on the windshield).
Old Mar 9, 11, 11:44 am

PlatePass is the company name. It's misleading for the Northeast, but I believe this company started in FL, where it works as you describe.

SunPass uses a different technology than EZPass. SunPass takes a picture of the rental car license plate, and charges the toll to the rental agreement. EZPass must have a transponder read, or the camera takes a photo of the license plate and creates a violation.
Old Mar 9, 11, 7:35 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
The car will have some transponder or notification inside the car to let you know if it has it. You have to keep in mind not all the cars you pick up will have platepass service. ALl the cars with platepass I have used had some form of marking to indicate it had platepass. Did the car you have have any mention inside of it?
Old Mar 10, 11, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I do not mind the platepass in the north east. Since it can be turned off. The plate pass I can not stand. I had issues a month or two ago where, I had a TX car with it in FL. The sticker says it only works in TX, so I pay at the toll in FL, then I get a bill a week or so later.
Old Jul 20, 11, 4:04 pm

Angry Platepass

I rented a car from Hertz in June of 2011 in Rochester, NY; it had platepass. However, I just paid the tolls whenever, I went through a toll booth. However, when I got back home, I had a $50.00 charge on my AMEX for using platepass. This is an utter rip-off.
Old Jul 20, 11, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Yeah like other services Hertz sells, it is a total ripoff. I don't mind it so much in NY where you can put it in the box and hide it and use your own transponder. However in places like Texas there the system works by reading license plates you have no way to opt out of it and get charged absurd fees that are entirely unavoidable.
Old Jul 25, 11, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, United Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz Gold
I just got ripped off by them as well. $11 in Chicago. I had the unit sealed the entire time. I wanted to rip it off of the windshield, but it seemed to be affixed on there rather well. I paid cash for my tolls. I just wrote customer service and filed a complaint with the BBB. We'll see how it goes.

DO NOT GET PLATE PASS. IF THEY WANT TO STICK YOU WITH IT, RENT FROM SOMEONE ELSE. IT IS A SCAM.
Old Jul 26, 11, 12:49 am

If you call Hertz up, they have in the past quickly refunded the charges for me.
Old Jul 26, 11, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by chrisphx View Post
I just got ripped off by them as well. $11 in Chicago. I had the unit sealed the entire time. I wanted to rip it off of the windshield, but it seemed to be affixed on there rather well. I paid cash for my tolls. I just wrote customer service and filed a complaint with the BBB. We'll see how it goes.

DO NOT GET PLATE PASS. IF THEY WANT TO STICK YOU WITH IT, RENT FROM SOMEONE ELSE. IT IS A SCAM.
I personally rip the box from the window and stuff it in the glove compartment when renting from HERTZ. It is on velcro so its not hard to get out. I then stick my own EZPASS transponder on the velcro and am good to go for my rental.
Old Jul 26, 11, 12:41 pm

Has anyone used Platepass and not get billed?
Old Jul 26, 11, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by sica4 View Post
Yeah like other services Hertz sells, it is a total ripoff. I don't mind it so much in NY where you can put it in the box and hide it and use your own transponder.
The one I had last weekend, though, kept slipping out of its box. I took the 59th St bridge to avoid any problem.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: