Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Owner Liability Insurance (US)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Non-Owner Liability Insurance (US)

For various reasons I rent cars full-time (300+ days a year, all with Hertz). I have non-owner liability insurance with State Farm, but my renewal quote has jumped significantly and I want to shop around.

I'm looking for a list of companies which provide non-owner policies. If you have one, or know a company that does, please can you post and let me know.

Thank you in advance.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:08 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I’d look at Geico, Safeco, Chubb, and Travelers to start; I get my policy from the last. Coverage may vary by state.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:39 pm

There are some high-end credit cards that provide primary insurance on rentals.

Out of curiosity do you rent full time due to preference or necessity? It doesn't seem like a bad idea to me.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:20 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by m907
There are some high-end credit cards that provide primary insurance on rentals.

Out of curiosity do you rent full time due to preference or necessity? It doesn't seem like a bad idea to me.
Even with cards that offer primary CDW, the OP would still be in need of liability insurance if he didn't own his own car. There are no credit cards that offer liability protection--only CDW.
m907 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I’d look at Geico, Safeco, Chubb, and Travelers to start; I get my policy from the last. Coverage may vary by state.
Thanks, that's a good list for me to start with. Do you mind if I ask what it costs you with Travelers?

m907: It's complicated, but this is currently my best option. There are definite pros and cons to renting full time. You get to drive lots of new and different cars, but it's quite expensive and you are at the whim of changing rental rates and car availability. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I use Non-Owner policy for Liability and Amex Premium coverage for CDW.

Additional thanks to AutoSlash. I use your website regularly to help find cheap rates and promo codes.
AutoSlash and m907 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:43 pm

I am very frustrated by how expensive/difficult it is to secure non-owners liability insurance. I don't own a vehicle, so I don't have liability insurance. For me to purchase non-owners liability insurance would actually cost more than full coverage back when I owned a car!

I've resigned myself to purchasing the Herts LIS for $10-15 per day on most rentals, and then using AMEX premium protection for collision/loss damage. Would love to find a more affordable way to do it, but haven't been successful.

Any ideas?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mnic
Thanks, that's a good list for me to start with. Do you mind if I ask what it costs you with Travelers?

m907: It's complicated, but this is currently my best option. There are definite pros and cons to renting full time. You get to drive lots of new and different cars, but it's quite expensive and you are at the whim of changing rental rates and car availability. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I use Non-Owner policy for Liability and Amex Premium coverage for CDW.

Additional thanks to AutoSlash. I use your website regularly to help find cheap rates and promo codes.
I currently live in upstate NY, and have a non-owned-auto liability policy with Travelers. For $500/$500/$200 coverage, my six-month premium is $34 (i.e., $68 per year). I'm sure that premiums vary considerably depending on one's residence, driving history, age, and perhaps even credit history in states where insurers are permitted to take credit history into account.

In what state do you reside? The Travelers Insurance website has an agent-locator engine that will enable you to determine if there is a Travelers agent near you.

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
I am very frustrated by how expensive/difficult it is to secure non-owners liability insurance. I don't own a vehicle, so I don't have liability insurance. For me to purchase non-owners liability insurance would actually cost more than full coverage back when I owned a car!

I've resigned myself to purchasing the Herts LIS for $10-15 per day on most rentals, and then using AMEX premium protection for collision/loss damage. Would love to find a more affordable way to do it, but haven't been successful.

Any ideas?
If you don't have a personal auto-insurance policy, why are you paying for Amex Premium protection? The "secondary" coverage provided by many cards (including some with no annual fee) should be sufficient for you: "secondary" coverage should become "primary" coverage for persons, such as yourself, who have no other collectable auto insurance.

And if you have not already done so, I would get a quote from Travelers for a non-owned-auto liability policy.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 14, 2018 at 8:10 pm Reason: Multi-quote
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
I currently live in upstate NY, and have a non-owned-auto liability policy with Travelers. For $500/$500/$200 coverage, my six-month premium is $34 (i.e., $68 per year). I'm sure that premiums vary considerably depending on one's residence, driving history, age, and perhaps even credit history in states where insurers are permitted to take credit history into account.

In what state do you reside? The Travelers Insurance website has an agent-locator engine that will enable you to determine if there is a Travelers agent near you.

If you don't have a personal auto-insurance policy, why are you paying for Amex Premium protection? The "secondary" coverage provided by many cards (including some with no annual fee) should be sufficient for you: "secondary" coverage should become "primary" coverage for persons, such as yourself, who have no other collectable auto insurance.

And if you have not already done so, I would get a quote from Travelers for a non-owned-auto liability policy.
Thanks for the info. I just called Travelers and got a non-owners 100/300/100 policy for $134 for six months. Not nearly as inexpensive as yours, but still better than paying Hertz for the LIS I suppose. How did you get your quote so low? I have a clean driving history, no accidents/violations.

Thanks for the tip on Travelers.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
Thanks for the info. I just called Travelers and got a non-owners 100/300/100 policy for $134 for six months. Not nearly as inexpensive as yours, but still better than paying Hertz for the LIS I suppose. How did you get your quote so low? I have a clean driving history, no accidents/violations.

Thanks for the tip on Travelers.
I think that a lot depends on where you live, even though you may be driving your rental cars in far-flung locations. When I lived in NYC, my Travelers premium was more than twice what it is now.

And how's your credit score? In some states, that can also affect your insurance rate.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
I think that a lot depends on where you live, even though you may be driving your rental cars in far-flung locations. When I lived in NYC, my Travelers premium was more than twice what it is now.

And how's your credit score? In some states, that can also affect your insurance rate.
Credit score is near perfect - around 800. I hope you know how lucky you are to get such inexpensive liability insurance!
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by mnic

I pay about $125/year for $500k bodily injury / $100k property damage in coverage with Travelers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.