Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Asked by Hertz to Help With Investigation and Possible Recovery of Lost & Found Item

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asked by Hertz to Help With Investigation and Possible Recovery of Lost & Found Item

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC

i just got a phone call from hertz regarding my current rental. Someone from the airport office asking me to search the car for a bag possibly left by the previous rental and even though i’m not back for a week possibly drop it off. has anyone had such an interaction before? God knows how many sunglassess i’ve lost and no one even bothered to give me a call let alone the current renter. And how would the cleaners miss a duffel bag? Also the airport is about an hour away who in their right mind would expect me to take time to drive out there and back and burn my time and gas.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 8, 2018 at 5:16 pm Reason: edited thread title to match topic
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:14 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Have you ever thought that the contents of the bag might be very valuable to the person who left them in the car and that they might be distraught at losing it? Sure, it could be a pair of sunglasses and some clothes. The bag could also contain their recently deceased father's ashes. Just sayin'.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:27 am

I used the Hertz lost and found service a few months ago when I left a pair of sunglasses in a car and they managed to find them and return them to me (although the shipping charge was kind of ridiculous). It does seem kind of crazy that they'd ask you to drive to the airport to return something, though.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Have you ever thought that the contents of the bag might be very valuable to the person who left them in the car and that they might be distraught at losing it? Sure, it could be a pair of sunglasses and some clothes. The bag could also contain their recently deceased father's ashes. Just sayin'.
i get that but the exact voice mail i got says yellow duffel bag with gym clothes. Even than if its something that important wouldnt you want it to be told to the customer or at least try and meet up with them or reimburse them somehow for their time or gas.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Why is this strange? Would you not prefer the same be done for you?

help out your fellow humans, we’re all in so much of a rush that any small inconvienece is like the world coming to an end. If the bags in the car, drop it off or ask them to come get it.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 91StealthES
Why is this strange? Would you not prefer the same be done for you?

help out your fellow humans, we’re all in so much of a rush that any small inconvienece is like the world coming to an end. If the bags in the car, drop it off or ask them to come get it.
yes i’d prefer the same to be done for me but in about 50 rentals last year with hertz i’ve never even had service close to this level with regards to lost&found. I was actually left a voicemail message by someone at the airport location lost&found and asking someone to do something nice is one thing but demanding them do drive back is a whole different level. And it is not a small incovenience, it is at least 1-1:30h drive there and back so its more of a 3h inconvenience.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:52 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Did you look for the bag? If so, did you find it?

Originally Posted by mdbe
[A]sking someone to do something nice is one thing but demanding them do drive back is a whole different level.
I agree; did the Hertz person who left a message really do the latter?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 8, 2018 at 5:18 pm
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:24 pm
Suspended

First see if the bag is in the car. Common sense. If it is not, the rest is moot.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle

demanding them do drive back is a whole different level. And it is not a small incovenience, it is at least 1-1:30h drive there and back so its more of a 3h inconvenience.
I doubt they demanded you drive back, but if they did, I’d immediately escalate to management.

1-1.5 hours is a haul. So I’d tell them that. I think it’s completely acceptable for them to ask you to return it, but it’s also acceptable for you to deny.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 91StealthES

I doubt they demanded you drive back, but if they did, I’d immediately escalate to management.

1-1.5 hours is a haul. So I’d tell them that. I think it’s completely acceptable for them to ask you to return it, but it’s also acceptable for you to deny.
The exact quote from the voicemail: "I know you're due back on the 15th, but I'm going to have to ask you to come back and drop it of."

it is about 50miles plus downtown traffic. I'll escalate it to the upper management. And I looked and let them know it wasn't in the car, just got another voicemail that they're sure it was and that I should expect another call tomorrow from a different manager. What I don't get is how they can be so accusatory and how the cleaners would miss a duffel bag.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:11 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
It sure sounds like the station thinks you have the bag in your possession, either from eyewitness testimony or video.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:19 pm

The exact quote from the voicemail: "I know you're due back on the 15th, but I'm going to have to ask you to come back and drop it of."

it is about 50miles plus downtown traffic. I'll escalate it to the upper management. And I looked and let them know it wasn't in the car, just got another voicemail that they're sure it was and that I should expect another call tomorrow from a different manager. What I don't get is how they can be so accusatory and how the cleaners would miss a duffel bag.
"You're welcome to come out and take a look yourself. Just phone when you get here and I'll come open up the car"

The first request (to look for the bag) was entirely reasonable. The second (to hand-deliver drive it via a 3-hour drive) was not, but I would have cut off in the first call ("I'll look and get back to you") and dealt with only then ("It is in the car. I can't come back but you can send someone/I can drop it at a Local Edition/etc"). And the latest response is weird -- perhaps your response to the first phone call made them think you might be lying to avoid a drive back?
m907 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: IHG Gold

Note the word ask...not order, or command (not that they have the right to do that of course). Just someone with poor command of the English language.

As you have stated if the bag is in your car they car either drive out and get it or pay to have it put in a taxi or courier service to its intended destination.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why all the secret squirrel? Is the bag in the vehicle or not. If it is not, call back and say so and be done with it. If it is in the car, tell them that you will drop it somewhere convenient for you and they can send someone to pick it up or offer to ship it back if they provide you a Fedex number or whatever suits you.
flyupfrnt likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I've been asked to look for an item. I've offered to return found item by prepaid FedEx. I wouldn't go out of my way. A 2 hr r/t to airport? Um, <expletive> no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.