Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz "Sold" My Rental Car

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not as annoying as it would be for the potential purchaser to turn up and find the car not there
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:45 pm

I've done the Hertz Rent2Buy program before as well (last year getting a 2016 Nissan Versa Note with 39k miles for $9200 after discount, before taxes.) The process was relatively pain-free, although bringing my own financing made for a bit more paperwork and the state DMV system issues brought on some delays with titling. Overall I'd recommend it again, though, and the price was very good for what we got (we even got a cheaper interest rate from our credit union due to the price!)
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
When buying these cars have someone with body/mechanical knowledge look at car. Look to make sure paintwork has not been done. (signs it's been in accident)

If they have a car repaired in-house (by a body shop) but not through third party insurance sometimes it does not show up on a carfax.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Neat program in principal and the stories of the deals sound nice. Call me a fool but I lease new cars. When I want to drive a car that tons of strangers have driven and possibly abused. I Rent one.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bhunt
When buying these cars have someone with body/mechanical knowledge look at car. Look to make sure paintwork has not been done. (signs it's been in accident)
Or even better, if you can, have the manager at the place you're picking it up from (or even at another location if you have the vehicle number) pull up the history of the car. The local Avis location I picked mine up from knows me well, and (without me really prompting) the manager pulled up the vehicle history and showed it to me. Showed every single rental, every time it was serviced, and (if there had been any) would have shown any issues/accidents/etc with the car.

That said, having someone look at it is still a good idea - as it would be for any used car.

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
Neat program in principal and the stories of the deals sound nice. Call me a fool but I lease new cars. When I want to drive a car that tons of strangers have driven and possibly abused. I Rent one.
My last 2 cars have been ex-rentals. First from Enterprise was still going strong after 8 years. The next from Avis is now at just under 2 years without issues.

I think I would hesitate to buy the type of car that you know people would "have fun" in, but for a standard sedan I at least haven't had any issues.
jackal likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Now that you know the issue and know of the program, will you still DM Hertz? Perhaps a discount on future rental.

Last edited by arollins; Jan 9, 2018 at 5:12 am Reason: .
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
I bought a Certified Pre-Owned car in '16 that was a 2016 with 19k on it. It had been a fleet/rental vehicle. It was around the same price as another vehicle that was 3 years older with 29K miles. I've put another 22K on it thus far, with no issues.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by arollins
Now that you know the issue and know of the program, will you still DM Hertz? Perhaps a discount on future rental.
I tweeted jokingly that my car was sold. They asked to DM them. I did and they added points for 1 rental day to my account. Fair IMO. I don't care it was sold
and feel it was a good fix on my end. My issue was it was their mistake. And I had to sit in line to find out I couldn't take care. Then went back and had to find
someone to help me. These were the issues. It was wasted time on my end. And more so the final part of me having to find someone to remedy the situation
was the most frustrating. The gate agent literally hung up phone and said take care back where you found it and no one was there to meet me and tell me what
was going on.

So end result I all good. And likely got a better car. I'll be back at MCO again and we'll see if my car gets sold again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.