Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Modifying a reservation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Modifying a reservation

Is there any way to modify the return date on an upcoming reservation, while keeping the original rate? When I try to extend the one-week rental by one day, it doubles the base rate, instead of just adding the extra day's charge.

Also, is there any way to extend the return time by about four or five hours on a current rental and still keep the base rate - just being charged for an extra day?

Neither booking used Amex Platinum CDP.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:25 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Typically you can change the time within the same calendar day without causing a re-rate, but only if it does not cause you to extend into an additional day. You would do this by making sure that the box is checked for I want the Rate Plan I originally reserved at the bottom of the page when you start modifying the reservation.

You cannot, however, change the actual calendar day for pickup or return without causing a full re-rate. What we typically tell people to do in this instance is to:

a) Just pick up early and/or return late since your additional day charges will be based on your original rate plan which will end up being less expensive than re-booking at a higher rate plan.

b) Make a second booking for the additional day, but then you'd have to return to the location to close out your original contract and then pick up a new car for the new 1-day rental which may not be convenience.

Hope this helps!
wxman22 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mke9499
Is there any way to modify the return date on an upcoming reservation, while keeping the original rate? When I try to extend the one-week rental by one day, it doubles the base rate, instead of just adding the extra day's charge.

Also, is there any way to extend the return time by about four or five hours on a current rental and still keep the base rate - just being charged for an extra day?

Neither booking used Amex Platinum CDP.
Second answer first. Just return the car 4 or 5 hours. Don't modify the reservation. You'll be charged for an extra day that is normally listed on the contract. They may automatically authorize for an additional day charge (based on the extra day rate from the contract) once you've past the one week, 4 hour time period. But that is all. Have done it many times.

There is no way online to modify a return date by adding additional days if you've reserved a 7-day reservation and want to turn it into two weeks (or even just 8 days) if the rate is higher now and want to keep the same rate. Call Hertz or the station you rented it at and see what they'll do. No guarantees there.

I have noticed on most occasions you can reserve a vehicle for 8 days or more and modify up to a total of 4 weeks with the same rate, though. But not for 7 days. That's just the way the Hertz reservation system works.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all suggestions.

When I spoke to renting airport location and asked if I could just return current rental 4 or 5 hours later, paying for an extra day under contract rate, I was told no; they would change the reservation to current rates, which would almost triple the rate.

The upcoming reservation is a 7 day rental, so adding an extra day changes the weekly from about $115 up to about $237.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:54 pm

Thanks for all suggestions.

When I spoke to renting airport location and asked if I could just return current rental 4 or 5 hours later, paying for an extra day under contract rate, I was told no; they would change the reservation to current rates, which would almost triple the rate.

The upcoming reservation is a 7 day rental, so adding an extra day changes the weekly from about $115 up to about $237.
That isn't true. Either you've spoken to a Hertz employee who doesn't know or they are lying. I do it all the time. In fact, I'm doing it today.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by CalItalian
That isn't true. Either you've spoken to a Hertz employee who doesn't know or they are lying. I do it all the time. In fact, I'm doing it today.
I concur 100%. The Hertz employee is misinformed or just BS'ing you. You will be charged for an extra day at your current rate.
CalItalian likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
I concur 100%. The Hertz employee is misinformed or just BS'ing you. You will be charged for an extra day at your current rate.
I will call back, later, after the shift change.

Thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:27 pm

I will call back, later, after the shift change.

Thanks!
I realize you may be new to this based on your questions but trust us. We're not noobs. I rent from Hertz 50+ times a year now myself. You know the policy after a while. Besides, your contract says what the extra day rate is. That's why it's on the contract.

If you search through the threads in this forum you'll see that Hertz doesn't require you to call in to keep the car for an extra day (and you're only looking for an extra few hours which will still trigger an extra day rate but you already expect that). In fact, they prefer you don't. But, if you get the right person on their 800#, they'd tell you the same.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:30 pm

I realize you may be new to this based on your questions but trust us. We're not noobs. I rent from Hertz 50+ times a year now myself. You know the policy after a while. Besides, your contract says what the extra day rate is. That's why it's on the contract.

If you search through the threads in this forum you'll see that Hertz doesn't require you to call in to keep the car for an extra day (and you're only looking for an extra few hours which will still trigger an extra day rate but you already expect that). In fact, they prefer you don't. But, if you get the right person on their 800#, they'd tell you the same.
Just one small point of clarification. If you return more than 12 hours late without calling to inform them, Hertz will now charge you a $12 late fee. The rental companies have recently started assessing these late fees, but they're fairly nominal. We've detailed the changes here. Enforcement of said polices may be uneven though so YMMV.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

I usually return close to booked return time, if not somewhat before. But, this time, a meeting will get in the way. When I called Hertz's 800 number, the prompt said to contact renting station, so I did. That Hertz rep pulled up my reservation in the system, before replying to my inquiries.

In no way was I questioning the answers. I posted here, as I knew I would receive accurate info.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:14 pm

Just one small point of clarification. If you return more than 12 hours late without calling to inform them, Hertz will now charge you a $12 late fee. The rental companies have recently started assessing these late fees, but they're fairly nominal. We've detailed the changes here. Enforcement of said polices may be uneven though so YMMV.
Thanks for the heads up on the late fee. I was not aware but I also wasn't charged one when I returned my vehicle last hour at LAX.

The terms and conditions on my contract do state this (which additions were made to since from my last rental comparing a past contract with this contract):

- RETURN CHANGE FEE of $10 will be applied if You return the car to a different location from that which was scheduled, or if you return more than 12 hours after the date and time previously scheduled, and You notify us of an extension of Your rental by the return date and time previously scheduled by calling 1-800-654-4174. If you do not notify us of such a change, the LATE RETURN FEE of up to $15 per day, up to a maximum of five (5) days/$75 will apply. These fees will be applied in addition to any increase in rate that may result of changing the drop off location or the timeframe of Your rental.

My total for the Yukon XL I was driving was $105.21 for the 7 day week but changed to $124.32 with the additional 8th day ($17.39 extra day before AAA 15% discount + taxes/fees additional for the 8th day).

I'm happy I wasn't charged a Late Fee but my reservation was a few weeks old.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:28 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the late fee. I was not aware but I also wasn't charged one when I returned my vehicle last hour at LAX.

The terms and conditions on my contract do state this (which additions were made to since from my last rental comparing a past contract with this contract):

- RETURN CHANGE FEE of $10 will be applied if You return the car to a different location from that which was scheduled, or if you return more than 12 hours after the date and time previously scheduled, and You notify us of an extension of Your rental by the return date and time previously scheduled by calling 1-800-654-4174. If you do not notify us of such a change, the LATE RETURN FEE of up to $15 per day, up to a maximum of five (5) days/$75 will apply. These fees will be applied in addition to any increase in rate that may result of changing the drop off location or the timeframe of Your rental.

My total for the Yukon XL I was driving was $105.21 for the 7 day week but changed to $124.32 with the additional 8th day ($17.39 extra day before AAA 15% discount + taxes/fees additional for the 8th day).

I'm happy I wasn't charged a Late Fee but my reservation was a few weeks old.
Interesting. I guess our info on the $12 fee might need to be updated based on the wording in your contract. I'm picking up a rental later today, so I will take a look at mine and see if it is consistent with what yours had. This is a relatively new thing for most of the companies, so it's not surprising that the info and applications of the fees it still a bit uneven.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:43 pm

Interesting. I guess our info on the $12 fee might need to be updated based on the wording in your contract. I'm picking up a rental later today, so I will take a look at mine and see if it is consistent with what yours had. This is a relatively new thing for most of the companies, so it's not surprising that the info and applications of the fees it still a bit uneven.
I rented immediately again today after returning my rental at LAX last hour. The contract from the rental from 10/10 that I closed out today was the long printed contract. The contract I got today for the new rental was a 2-page contract + email. The new t&c's are exactly the same on both (in the email). I saw your link to Hertz and my Google search last night showed the same (to the Hertz website) but it's different than what is being printed on these contracts...at least from LAX rentals.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)

FWIW, the Hertz phone system IVR used to say (when you pressed the option to extend a vehicle), "It is not necessary to talk to an agent if you are only returning one [or maybe two?] day late." That verbiage was eliminated from the recording the last time I called, which makes sense in light of the new policies coming online for penalizing extensions.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List
Hertz seems to have several IT glitches. One thing that most people don't know, and that I learned by accident, is to click "Modify Reservation". Then, at the bottom, you will see a box checked that says, "I want the Rate Plan I originally reserved." It's ironic, but you must uncheck that box, and in my experiences, 100% of the time, the original rate I reserved shows up and I make the necessary modifications.

I would guess that you may be charged your original weekly rate and another daily rate, which could be high if it's a week day.

Give this a shot and see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.