Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reward redemption, CC insurance?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Reward redemption, CC insurance?

If u rent a car using Hertz rewards, would you be still charged tax etc either outside the airport or at airport location?

If not, CC insurance will not kick in?

I recently rented one (1st time) using rewards outside airport - booking showed tax of $12-$15. When renting, they said $3. But invoice came which showed that the $3 was neutralized (wondered it was the money from CC but there is no money taken from CC).

I use Costco biz CC which has primary coverage on rental. If there is no insurance, what are the best options to get coverage? Pay AMEX for rental car insurance coverage - believe that they have something like coverage for 42 consecutive days for $20?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:32 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Even on a reward day booking there is always some small amount of tax. The least expensive place for an award day is at LGA where it will cost you $0.60 per day.

There's an ongoing debate in the forums about what constitutes payment for the rental, and thus what qualifies for CC insurance reimbursement. Rather than get flamed by 20 people I will just say that in our experience, as long as something is charged to the card, you should be fine, but there are differences of opinion about that, so best to check with your card issuer.

Note that you can always add some small add-on to increase the fee, or even return a day late or with half a tank of gas or something if you have an accident to trigger some meaningful payment on the card on file.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Oct 5, 2017 at 4:48 pm
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks @AutoSlash

Some lower prices are for:
- SiriusXM $8/day
- Loss Damage Waiver $11/day

- returning later than 1hr and before 2hrs would trigger 0.5 day charge - if you anticipate a claim, this might work.

But AMEX $20 insurance might be cheaper
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Even on a reward day booking there is always some small amount of tax. The least expensive place for an award day is at LGA where it will cost you $0.60 per day.

There's an ongoing debate in the forums about what constitutes payment for the rental, and thus what qualifies for CC insurance reimbursement. Rather than get flamed by 20 people I will just say that in our experience, as long as something is charged to the card, you should be fine, but there are differences of opinion about that, so best to check with your card issuer.

Note that you can always add some small add-on to increase the fee, or even return a day late or with half a tank of gas or something if you have an accident to trigger some meaningful payment on the card on file.
For airport rentals, yes. For HLE rentals, I typically pay no tax when using points.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by sciconf
Thanks @AutoSlash

Some lower prices are for:
- SiriusXM $8/day
- Loss Damage Waiver $11/day

- returning later than 1hr and before 2hrs would trigger 0.5 day charge - if you anticipate a claim, this might work.

But AMEX $20 insurance might be cheaper
Even lower per day prices if you use an AAA CDP with rewards points.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
For airport rentals, yes. For HLE rentals, I typically pay no tax when using points.
Same here. I just rented a one-way in a HLE and it was zero dollars (in this case, I simply paid for the LDW, since it is only $9 in NY).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.