Wiki Posts
Search

Gas Charges - Audits

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aa,hertz, marriott
Angry Gas Charges - Audits

I have been a road warrior for 30 years - primarily renting from Hertz (Presidents Circle) although already switching away at some locations. How many of you have been receiving these "audit" letters - claiming cars weren't full as indicated on the return? I have one that claims they refilled 6 gallons of gas when I drove 80 miles for the total rental - in a midsize car that gets 25-30 mpg at least - hen I topped the car off probably 15-20 miles from the airport with 2 gallons (which makes sense).

They are refusing to remove the $60 charges - even though the car was checked in full and I have a receipt (granted from 15-20 miles away) - and even though the math on 80 miles would mean consumption of 3 gallons at most for the total rental.

I called in twice - was basically told me the refill system means that I used the gas - and that there was nothing they could do to take the charge off. I told them it was fraudulent to make this claim without any evidence or worse yet, in spite of their own documentation on the total miles driven. They said too bad. I asked if they wanted to keep my business - they said that's my option. The last woman actually hung up me after she said good luck.

If this is where Hertz is going - then I guess it is time for me to take my business elsewhere. BTW - I'm the guy that spends $7-10,000 a year on upgrades and is in a rental car 150 days a year. So sad.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by srmcglothlin
I have been a road warrior for 30 years - primarily renting from Hertz (Presidents Circle) although already switching away at some locations. How many of you have been receiving these "audit" letters - claiming cars weren't full as indicated on the return? I have one that claims they refilled 6 gallons of gas when I drove 80 miles for the total rental - in a midsize car that gets 25-30 mpg at least - hen I topped the car off probably 15-20 miles from the airport with 2 gallons (which makes sense).

They are refusing to remove the $60 charges - even though the car was checked in full and I have a receipt (granted from 15-20 miles away) - and even though the math on 80 miles would mean consumption of 3 gallons at most for the total rental.

I called in twice - was basically told me the refill system means that I used the gas - and that there was nothing they could do to take the charge off. I told them it was fraudulent to make this claim without any evidence or worse yet, in spite of their own documentation on the total miles driven. They said too bad. I asked if they wanted to keep my business - they said that's my option. The last woman actually hung up me after she said good luck.

If this is where Hertz is going - then I guess it is time for me to take my business elsewhere. BTW - I'm the guy that spends $7-10,000 a year on upgrades and is in a rental car 150 days a year. So sad.

Which department were you talking to? Sounds like the conversation I had with "billing" when post-booking entering of flight number triggered a new pick-up time and a repricing of the reso to a non-refundable, prepaid. Awful agent just insisted that "you booked a prepaid rental" which was categorically false and I could prove it from the original confirmation email. No other words than one that starts with a B and is five letters long to describe that rotten Hertzie.

All that is to say I think there are some bad apples in that department - I'd HUCA at least once more before issuing a chargeback (which I ended up doing in that case without retribution from Hertz, at least so far).
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by srmcglothlin
If, by your own admission, you filled your car "probably" 20 miles from the airport (i.e., one gallon away) you get little sympathy from me (of course, the incompetent or possibly crooked location gets zero sympathy, because their charge of 6 gallons does not make sense). I am always scrupulous about refuelling and annoyed when the previous renter does that sort of thing (I actually liked their policy of asking for fuel receipts for rentals under 75 miles).
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yllanes
If, by your own admission, you filled your car "probably" 20 miles from the airport (i.e., one gallon away) you get little sympathy from me.
Out of curiosity, what do you think a reasonable threshold is?

Honestly, I think the only acceptable evidence of whether the vehicle was full or not is whether the gauge is at (or above) full (or where it was at the time of pickup). Because it's easy to document that (photographically), along with the return mileage and a view of the return lineup out the front windshield.
If the gauge is faulty - that's Hertz's problem.
That you can drive a car 30+ miles or whatever and still have a gas gauge showing over full, Hertz should take that up with the manufacturers of the vehicles it purchases.
If push comes to shove, either with a credit card company or in small claims court, I can't imagine how any evidence they try to present (testimony that Jimmy was able to put in another 2 gallons before the car overflowed?) could be outweighed by the gas gauge.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Out of curiosity, what do you think a reasonable threshold is?

Honestly, I think the only acceptable evidence of whether the vehicle was full or not is whether the gauge is at (or above) full (or where it was at the time of pickup). Because it's easy to document that (photographically), along with the return mileage and a view of the return lineup out the front windshield.
If the gauge is faulty - that's Hertz's problem.
That you can drive a car 30+ miles or whatever and still have a gas gauge showing over full, Hertz should take that up with the manufacturers of the vehicles it purchases.
If push comes to shove, either with a credit card company or in small claims court, I can't imagine how any evidence they try to present (testimony that Jimmy was able to put in another 2 gallons before the car overflowed?) could be outweighed by the gas gauge.
I'm sure you would appreciate getting a car, that, 10 miles after you drive off the Hertz lot, the fuel gauge drops down under F.

OP's case is unique in which Hertz is billing them for 6 gallons of fuel. There's no way the needle could be at or near F in a sedan with at most a 20 gallon fuel tank. While I agree that OP should have taken photos of the vehicle's fuel gauge with mileage in display (I always do) and the exterior at the return location, it doesn't make sense for the receipt to be marked 8/8 FULL when supposedly 6 gallons had to be added.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Sounds like a pretty easy case to dispute the charge with your CC company and get it reversed.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For $60, just dispute the charge. Make the dispute much, much, much shorter and to the point than your OP.

A good chance that Hertz never bothers to reply and your temporary credit simply becomes permanent.

You do need to be a bit concerned that Hertz either places you on a DNR list if it shows what amounts to a debit balance or you are simply informed that you owe $60 before you are permitted to drive off with your next vehicle.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Often1
You do need to be a bit concerned that Hertz either places you on a DNR list if it shows what amounts to a debit balance or you are simply informed that you owe $60 before you are permitted to drive off with your next vehicle.
Due to that concern, I recommend making a credit card dispute an absolute last-case resort (unless the location is a franchise and you do not ever foresee renting from that franchise again--franchises do not share their DNR lists with corporate).

I would first reach out to one of the executives listed here: http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/hertz/

(I am normally annoyed by Chris Elliott, but his site does have useful contact info for escalations.)

Your message needs to be very simple and concise, perhaps something like this:

Hello:

I am being told that I owe $60 for 6 gallons of fuel.

This is mathematically impossible, as I only drove the vehicle 80 miles, consuming a maximum possible 3 gallons of gas. Furthermore, I filled up the car 15 minutes before returning and have a receipt to confirm that.

Clearly, you can see that this is an erroneous charge, but I am not having an easy time working with your billing department on this issue.

I trust that as a Hertz President's Circle member who spends over $10,000 per year with your company, you understand that I am being honest with you regarding this matter, and I hope you are able resolve it to my satisfaction accordingly.

My rental agreement number is RRXYZ.

Regards,
srmcglothlin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.