Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

PREMIUM CAR RENTAL PROTECTION for non-residents?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

My friend has an Amex Platin Card and also signed up for the PREMIUM CAR RENTAL PROTECTION. But he is not Residents of the US. In case he would have a claim during a rental in the US, would Amex accept it and pay?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:13 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by dwcdv
My friend has an Amex Platin Card and also signed up for the PREMIUM CAR RENTAL PROTECTION. But he is not Residents of the US. In case he would have a claim during a rental in the US, would Amex accept it and pay?
No, you must be a U.S. resident to be covered. This is directly from the Amex PCRP terms and conditions:

Enrollment is limited to permanent residents of the 50 United States, D.C., Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

so in case he has a claim, AMEX would deny the payment?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:49 pm

so in case he has a claim, AMEX would deny the payment?
In all likelihood, yes. Insurance companies tend to be sticklers for the rules.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

He travels frequent to the US, so he has billing address, bank account etc in US. Only no residence.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

He travels frequent to the US, so he has billing address, bank account etc in US. Only no residence.
What matters is whether he meets the stated requirements for coverage. There is no point paying for it and then finding, if he makes a claim, that American Express's insurance provider refuses to pay out due to ineligibility
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:37 pm

Here’s my honest assessment... if he puts a claim in for say a small dent that costs $1,500 to fix, it will probably just get paid without any scrutiny. If he totals a $50K car, there’s a decent chance the insurance company will assign an adjuster and may do a bit of digging. If they suspect your friend is not a U.S. resident and thus is not eligible for the coverage, they will probably deny the claim. They would rather not pay out and if they can find out that your friend misrepresented himself, they will probably take the opportunity to avoid payment.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 6:10 am
Original Poster

thank you, I will advice him better pay for the LDW when renting a car
Old Aug 5, 2017, 6:15 am

thank you, I will advice him better pay for the LDW when renting a car
There are plenty of other options besides paying the over-inflated fees for LDW at the counter:

1. He can use a 3rd party insurance provider like rentalcover.com or purchase the insurance when booking through someone like Priceline.

2. Use a site that offers insurance inclusive rates.

3. Get a credit card that offers LDW to residents of the country he is from.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Silly question but is the credit card US registered, although he is not a resident?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.