Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at MIA; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at MIA; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: Hilton honors, sas eurobonus, Hertz 5 star, Amex, Marriot
yes, boked U4 at MIA, was scam, got U2 standar convetebel Camaro. at Hertz counter told me "yes all U4 is V8s"
opend the hood day after whoa 4 bagger!!!. drove to MCO, got Mustang GT and had to pay exstra????????. will send a complaint about this to MIA and my local office.
Ordpc likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 8:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
Decided to take a car during my week in Miami since it was $250 for the week with AAA rate. PC had 5 cars in it no joke.

- Dodge Charger R/T
- Jeep Gladiator
- Infiniti Q50
- Toyota Camry
- Nissan Rogue? (didn't even glance at it)

Took the charger and left.
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by cubeman
Decided to take a car during my week in Miami since it was $250 for the week with AAA rate. PC had 5 cars in it no joke.

- Dodge Charger R/T
- Jeep Gladiator
- Infiniti Q50
- Toyota Camry
- Nissan Rogue? (didn't even glance at it)

Took the charger and left.

That would be a no brainer ...
Old Jun 13, 2022, 2:51 am

What are the Premium Upgrade choices at MIA?
What are the chances finding a Mustang GT or other V8s in there?

Thanks
Old Jun 13, 2022, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by BigJC
Unless they've brought in some fresh U4s expect a beat-down, high mileage Mustang GT. Last month I had a choice between two Mustangs both with mismatched tires and 35k and 41k respectively on the odometer.
Hello,
I rented out a Mustang Convertible (so called ECO BOOST) @ MIA about 3 months ago.
It was a tired car with around 43k on the clock. The transmission was jerky and the car was not much fun. Tire pressure was 43 front 32 rear!
All other ECOs in that aisle had similar mileages, scratches and an overall used look/feel to them.

Before COVID I used to rent out Camaros/GTs and most of the time those cars were below 6k miles and like new.
At one time I even hit the Penske Mustang GT

Unless Hertz brings in 'fresh blood' I'll possible stick with 5* UC to save me the disappointment and $$$

Last edited by GoToGate; Jun 13, 2022 at 3:11 am
Old Jun 14, 2022, 5:09 am

Hi guys,
im a Five Star Member and its my first time renting Hertz in the USA.
I got a Q4 (Small SUV) reservation.
As a Fivestar member i am able to upgrade for free to the next category (5 Passenger Standard SUV) - is that correct?
So am i able to just grab a Standard size SUV from the Choiceline without any additional charge or how is that working in the USA - especially at MIA?
Is there a choice line which i can choose a car from at all?

Regards
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by BuZZy1337
Hi guys,
im a Five Star Member and its my first time renting Hertz in the USA.
I got a Q4 (Small SUV) reservation.
As a Fivestar member i am able to upgrade for free to the next category (5 Passenger Standard SUV) - is that correct?
So am i able to just grab a Standard size SUV from the Choiceline without any additional charge or how is that working in the USA - especially at MIA?
Is there a choice line which i can choose a car from at all?

Regards
No, Q4 is not eligible for upgrade.

You still can choose from the 5 star zone, though.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Your understanding is correct. Do note that Ultimate Choice service at MIA is available for bookings of Group C (Intermediate) and higher so if the Group C rate is lower than Group D (as it often is), you could save yourself some money. Also note that in the rare chance that if you find what you deem to be a superior vehicle in the Full Size, Midsize, or Compact areas, you may select it with no additional charge.
Hello,

Could you explain this please? If you (as 5*) book 'D' you can choose from different cars than if you had booked 'C' ?
Or are you referring to the 5* aisle when saying he can chose from the Full Size, Midsize, or Compact areas?

Thank you
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:08 pm

At some airports, there used to be separate aisles for Compact, Midsize, Fullsize cars. I haven't seen that setup used much since covid, but if those aisles are present you can pick from those too.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by missingcolours
At some airports, there used to be separate aisles for Compact, Midsize, Fullsize cars. I haven't seen that setup used much since covid, but if those aisles are present you can pick from those too.
I think MIA still had aisle 1,2,3 last December when I was there, but the sizes were rather small compared to the huge gold section. But only aisle 3 which is the compact lane is available in most places.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 7:28 am

Hello and thank you,
So if you make a 'D' reservation as a 5* you can choose from a different aisle other than the usual 5* UC?

I understand that you have reserve 'C' which gives you access to the 5* UC aisle. So with 'D' more options?
Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by GoToGate
Hello and thank you,
So if you make a 'D' reservation as a 5* you can choose from a different aisle other than the usual 5* UC?

I understand that you have reserve 'C' which gives you access to the 5* UC aisle. So with 'D' more options?
For PC no, for 5 Star, maybe technically, not sure. But in practice, it's highly unlikely to get you anything better in my experience.

- You can choose from Gold, 5 Star, and PC if you reserve >= Midsize (anything but Mgr Special, Economy, Compact) and are at least that status level.
- There are also the Compact/Midsize/Fullsize (1/2/3) at a few airports. As a PC, I've normally been able to take cars from those sections regardless of what I booked. It might be the same for 5 Star, or maybe you can only pick from Fullsize if you book a particular class (C, D, F, dunno). That said, those sections contain almost entirely base model, usually higher-mileage sedans of the applicable size. 5 Star and Gold generally have better or equal cars.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 5:35 pm

For PC no, for 5 Star, maybe technically, not sure. But in practice, it's highly unlikely to get you anything better in my experience.

- You can choose from Gold, 5 Star, and PC if you reserve >= Midsize (anything but Mgr Special, Economy, Compact) and are at least that status level.
- There are also the Compact/Midsize/Fullsize (1/2/3) at a few airports. As a PC, I've normally been able to take cars from those sections regardless of what I booked. It might be the same for 5 Star, or maybe you can only pick from Fullsize if you book a particular class (C, D, F, dunno). That said, those sections contain almost entirely base model, usually higher-mileage sedans of the applicable size. 5 Star and Gold generally have better or equal cars.
Ok, thank you ....

I could reserve a (C) car for $500 and a (D) car for $35 more.
That's why I was wondering if getting the (D) reservation would give me better options for an upgrade.

From memory the 5* UC aisle was nothing to be writing home about.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 10:11 am

Came in on the 06/27/22 .. 10PM. Reservation was for a 'Jetta'
My name on the billboard with 'Gold' no assigned bay!

Nothing in 5*, Gold not much better, in PC just 2! cars ..
Ended up taking a 2020 Ford Fusion which was the best of the rest. 37k miles and clean interior/sun roof/ 2l turbo, 245HP.
HOWEVER the tire pressure was off.
Hertz wouldn't fix it on site (really?) and the Gold Office was shut.

Took the car anyhow and inflated the tire(s) myself at the next gas station.

Auto Enthusiast and strickerj like this.

Last edited by GoToGate; Jul 5, 2022 at 10:19 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by GoToGate
Came in on the 06/27/22 .. 10PM. Reservation was for a 'Jetta'
My name on the billboard with 'Gold' no assigned bay!

Nothing in 5*, Gold not much better, in PC just 2! cars ..
Ended up taking a 2020 Ford Fusion which was the best of the rest. 37k miles and clean interior/sun roof/ 2l turbo, 245HP.
HOWEVER the tire pressure was off.
Hertz wouldn't fix it on site (really?) and the Gold Office was shut.

Took the car anyhow and inflated the tire(s) myself at the next gas station.
Just a warning for future renters, you shouldn’t take this kind of car regardless the situation because this tire will show the same low reading again tomorrow or the day after. If you rent just for a day you’d be fine

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 30, 2023 at 2:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.