Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at DCA; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at DCA; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2018, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ausexpatinusa
I'm planning a driving trip out of DCA in mid-September. I would really like to be able to rent a Prius as that’s what I drive every day. I find driving stressful and having the same car model would be a real help to my peace of mind. Hertz seems to be the only agency at DCA that includes Prius as an option (Code: ICAH) but of course they always say “or similar.” Just wondered if any of you frequent renters at DCA Hertz have seen Priuses there? Other agencies at DCA such as National/Enterprise offer a hybrid option but it says “Full Size Hybrid Ford Fusion Hybrid or similar.” I’d rather get a smaller car than that, thats why I like the Prius, it’s “intermediate” sized but comfortable. If there’s any advice you can give or feedback on whether getting a Prius at Hertz DCA is a realistic expectation or not, I’d appreciate it greatly.
I've never seen a Prius at Hertz DCA. In fact I've never seen it at any Hertz airport location. Hertz's website is notoriously awful, and one example is how the car examples on the website are not even in the fleet. The Chrysler 200 was discontinued by Chrysler two years ago but it's still the full size example. Same with the Nissan Quest and the minivan. I don't know if the Prius is gone from Hertz's fleet but you're unlikely to get one.

You're far more likely to get a Ford Fusion Hybrid.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: MileagePlus, Delta SkyMiles, AAdvantage, Air New Zealand Air Points, Virgin Australia Velocity
Thanks so much for the helpful and detailed reply, I appreciate it! Not sure whether to try my luck with National or just switch to midsize or compact with Hertz and just get whatever I get. I guess I can always try shopping around once I get to DCA.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:54 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
This past saturday the PC lot was depressing... There were at most 5 sedans on the left side, and a bunch of challengers on the other side. Nothing else. Five Star was full of Kia Rios and Sentras. Got an Altima as a last resource.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, Marriott Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, HH Diamond
anyone have experience with renting from dca pc lot?

has anyone had a good or bad experience with renting from dca pc lot? do they let out to people under 25?

Last edited by Joonydell; Oct 27, 2018 at 7:29 pm Reason: Moved into existing thread
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Joonydell
has anyone had a good or bad experience with renting from dca pc lot? do they let out to people under 25?
Read through the thread. DCA is probably the worst of the major Hertz airport lots in terms of customer service and selection. Although they usually offer a few decent options in PC like a 300S, but it's usually Altimas, Malibus, various small sedans, or beat up SUVs.

Their policy on under-25 is YMMV. When I was under 25 they limited me to a sedan once but I was able to get an SUV the next time. Example of their poor customer service which has inconsistent policies.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Hit the PC section at 11pm. There were three Malibu’s, A Ford Hybrid, and a Jeep Wrangler Sahara.

Took the Jeep as it had 38 miles. The rep said they got the Jeep new today. With the family in tow, it was perfect.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:05 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Came through Tuesday evening. There was nothing in PC except one Grand Caravan. Lot attendant directed me to a "Premium Upgrade" Q50 (gee, thanks), for which I then had to argue at the gate why I should not be charged an upgrade fee. Ah, DCA.
Auto Enthusiast and m907 like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Over the weekend the PC aisle was, except for two base Malibus and one Buick Regal, entirely composed of Ford Taurus and Chevy Impala. Both cars are supposed to be discontinued in the next couple years. Taurus is the better choice IMO.

Upgrades were a couple Dodge Charger R/T, Infiniti QX30 (who would pay extra for it), and a Lincoln Continental, the first I've seen on a Hertz lot.

Five Star had more variety but standard Hertz fare, nothing to write home about. Same for Gold.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, Marriott Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, HH Diamond
over the past couple of months, renting from DCA has been the worst. their pc lot has been bone dry and i havent seen something decent for about 3 months now. what is happening to this location?!
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Joonydell
over the past couple of months, renting from DCA has been the worst. their pc lot has been bone dry and i havent seen something decent for about 3 months now. what is happening to this location?!
It's always been bad, among the worst Hertz locations I've been to. Bad selection of cars, unfriendly employees, constantly changing rules and practices.

I was back Monday afternoon and other than a Challenger R/T there was nothing noteworthy in PC or Five Star. A couple Kia Sedonas with leather, base trim Ram 1500. Other than that, the regular Impalas and Nissans.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: Delta Plat, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
Saturday before Christmas found DCA Presidents Circle with a better than normal selection, apart from the usual's there was a Dodge Challenger R/T, multiple Infiniti QX30s, and a Cadillac XTS. The only SUVs on the lot not in reserved spots were a few Jeep Wranglers in the Five Star section. My Premium points reservation was assigned to an Infiniiti Q70 which was nice but had 25k miles and more than a few dings on it. I ended up taking the Cadillac off Presidents Circle, nicely loaded with working NAV & Sirius, remote start, and under 2000 miles on it.
m907 likes this.

Last edited by dc2005b; Dec 22, 2018 at 10:29 am Reason: typo correction
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Saturday night was all premium or lower, except for two 300 S and a Buick Envision (in Gold, oddly). Everything else was an Impala, Taurus, Malibu, or smaller.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

DCA seems to always have a couple 300 S and Taurus Limited, both of which I like. But there's rarely much else of note. The last couple times there's been one Ram 1500 Classic and Chrysler Pacifica, and a sea of Optimas, Impalas, and Sentras.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Saw a Cadillac in PC this week. Didn't check other cars, but seemed to have a wide variety of options. I booked an H4-class car, which wasn't there, so I basically got the pick of anything in the lot.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:39 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
DCA continues its very bad trend in terms of both staff and car selection. I am having a better experience upstairs at National...larger selection and very nice staff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.