Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Best vehicle for 6 people and lots of luggage (moved from Hertz Ultimate Choice)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best vehicle for 6 people and lots of luggage (moved from Hertz Ultimate Choice)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Gold Plus

Hi Guys, this is my first post in this forum, I've been reading for a few days, lot of helpful information but I have a doubt that I didn't find any mention in the thread.
I registered for Gold Plus Membership and I'm looking to rent a minivan for my family vacation in Miami/Orlando.
Using the Herz app for the dates I need I see a special offer for a Prestige Collection SUV, the price is much much cheaper than the price for the Minivan.
This is a non brainer for almost anyone but in my case, we're 6 people so I really need a minivan.
If I make the reservation for the Prestige SUV:
A) can i go to the Gold Plus lot and grab another vehicle? And if so, what are the chances to pick a Minivan??
B) if I can't get the minivan from the Lot, can I get a "downgrade" in the counter? Will Hertz consider this as a downgrade? Or will I have to pay the usd35 per day rate??

Thanks for your help!!

Ps: I know Miami doesn't have the Ultimate Choice program yet, but I'm flying next year.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by JuanAl
Hi Guys, this is my first post in this forum, I've been reading for a few days, lot of helpful information but I have a doubt that I didn't find any mention in the thread.
I registered for Gold Plus Membership and I'm looking to rent a minivan for my family vacation in Miami/Orlando.
Using the Herz app for the dates I need I see a special offer for a Prestige Collection SUV, the price is much much cheaper than the price for the Minivan.
This is a non brainer for almost anyone but in my case, we're 6 people so I really need a minivan.
A) can i go to the Gold Plus lot and grab another vehicle? And if so, what are the chances to pick a Minivan??
B) if I can't get the minivan from the Lot, can I get a "downgrade" in the counter? Will Hertz consider this as a downgrade? Or will I have to pay the usd35 per day rate??

Thanks for your help!!

Ps: I know Miami doesn't have the Ultimate Choice program yet, but I'm flying next year.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

The chances of a minivan in the Gold area are pretty minimal. I would not plan or expect that to be the case. That said, technically by the terms of the Ultimate Choice program, if there is one in the Gold area, you should be able to get it for free, though at least as of right now, there are some issues with staff understanding the rules about what you are entitled to take.

If there are no vans in the Gold Choice area and you pick one from the Minivan area, it's a little iffier. Vans have historically been considered "lower" than the larger SUVs, but they're sort of a different "fork" above the standard car classes and so aren't a direct upgrade or downgrade from SUVs. You might have luck talking an agent/manager into getting a van at no cost. Note that changing out of the van may cause the promo code you're using to be invalidated, which might cause your cost to go up.

Note that some of the Prestige Collection SUVs have fairly comfortable seating for 6 passengers--like the QX80 or the Escalade especially, and maybe a few others, too. You might just plan to go ahead with one of those if the cost is acceptable.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:45 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Thanks for your help!!

Prices are going to change a hundred times between now and next year. Just book both a Minivan and the Prestige SUV and then track the rate. I can almost guarantee you that the Minivan will come out cheaper in the end.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

The chances of a minivan in the Gold area are pretty minimal. I would not plan or expect that to be the case. That said, technically by the terms of the Ultimate Choice program, if there is one in the Gold area, you should be able to get it for free, though at least as of right now, there are some issues with staff understanding the rules about what you are entitled to take.

If there are no vans in the Gold Choice area and you pick one from the Minivan area, it's a little iffier. Vans have historically been considered "lower" than the larger SUVs, but they're sort of a different "fork" above the standard car classes and so aren't a direct upgrade or downgrade from SUVs. You might have luck talking an agent/manager into getting a van at no cost. Note that changing out of the van may cause the promo code you're using to be invalidated, which might cause your cost to go up.

Note that some of the Prestige Collection SUVs have fairly comfortable seating for 6 passengers--like the QX80 or the Escalade especially, and maybe a few others, too. You might just plan to go ahead with one of those if the cost is acceptable.
Thanks for your reply!
Regarding the Prestige Collection SUV, the offer seems to be very specific regarding the make and mode, it says Mercedes GLC/Range Rover Evoque - HPC (Group H4) JFDR, it looks like that those can't accommodate 6, am I correct or Am i missing something??

Last edited by JuanAl; Apr 30, 2017 at 7:02 am
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Prices are going to change a hundred times between now and next year. Just book both a Minivan and the Prestige SUV and then track the rate. I can almost guarantee you that the Minivan will come out cheaper in the end.
AutoSlash, thanks to you too.
I already have the minivan reservation, I did it through a local agency (the app doesn't show minivans availability). I can cancel that reservation anytime.
Regarding Hertz app, even if it says "payment at destination" I don't see any mention to cancellation policy, how does it work??

Let me tell you that the price looks like a glitch on the app as is way to low.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:22 am

Yes, with the Prestige Collection vehicle, it's pretty much guaranteed something from that class so it may or may not accommodate 6 people.

Regarding booking through the Hertz app, it depends. Hertz is playing around with cancellation penalties lately. I would avoid putting in your credit card wherever possible. In the vast majority of cases, making a reservation does not require a credit card, so obviously if they don't have your card on file, you can cancel anytime you want. If you did enter your card when booking, just call Hertz to inquire.

Regardless of where/how you booked, use the link below to track the price of your rentals. It's likely we'll find you a better deal eventually.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Yes, with the Prestige Collection vehicle, it's pretty much guaranteed something from that class so it may or may not accommodate 6 people.

Regarding booking through the Hertz app, it depends. Hertz is playing around with cancellation penalties lately. I would avoid putting in your credit card wherever possible. In the vast majority of cases, making a reservation does not require a credit card, so obviously if they don't have your card on file, you can cancel anytime you want. If you did enter your card when booking, just call Hertz to inquire.

Regardless of where/how you booked, use the link below to track the price of your rentals. It's likely we'll find you a better deal eventually.
I did some new search on the hertz app and arrived to same rate on Cadillac Escalade or Lincoln Navigator (group p6) LFAR.
I believe I can acomodate six on those, the rate is around USD 600 for 16 days...
Will 6 people Plus 6 28" cases and like four carry one work on those SUVs??
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:47 pm

Six people is no problem. That's a lot of luggage though. You might be able to jam it all in, but a Minivan is going to give you the maximum amount of storage space.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Six people is no problem. That's a lot of luggage though. You might be able to jam it all in, but a Minivan is going to give you the maximum amount of storage space.
That's what I thought but the minivan is USD 1K vs 600 of the Prestige Collection, it drives me nuts!!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:13 pm

That's what I thought but the minivan is USD 1K vs 600 of the Prestige Collection, it drives me nuts!!
Have you looked into the 4WD/AWD Prem Extra Capacity SUV (Group T6) PFAR? That category might be better for your needs, and give you an additional price option to track.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did a wine trip out of SEA with six people and we were actually somewhat surprised at how tight it was with our luggage and a few cases of wine, because common wisdom in the rental industry is that minivans have lots of luggage capacity. If the Escalade/Navigator is the ESV (or Navigator L) version, which the photo does make it look like (not that I completely trust the photo...), then I actually think it would have more room than a minivan.

If it's not the ESV/L version, though...yeah, you're probably right. I've never paid attention to the Prestige Collection SUVs enough to notice what model they are.
Old May 1, 2017, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lamgini24
Have you looked into the 4WD/AWD Prem Extra Capacity SUV (Group T6) PFAR? That category might be better for your needs, and give you an additional price option to track.
Can't find those for the dates I'm looking for, just the Prestige Series 7 passanger SUVs that I mentioned and the Minivan...
Old May 1, 2017, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beckles
I believe the only SUV you could possibly fit six 28" cases plus four carry-ons would be a Suburban/Yukon XL/Expedition EL (Hertz Class T6). I don't believe a minivan could hold those ten bags.
The minivan has a 2 - 1 config in the third row so I was thinking folding one seat an using that side space to hold more bags.
Also, most of them have space in the "stow 'n go" compartment so I believe that it can be possible.

At arrival we'll only have 4 28" cases and probably 2 carry ons, don't think that will be a problem but coming from Argentina, we will probably add one more case and 1 or 2 of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KR1K4K...RRGA1UXC&psc=1

It will be a challenge to fit all of this in any SUV or Minivan...
Old May 1, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The minivan has a 2 - 1 config in the third row so I was thinking folding one seat an using that side space to hold more bags.
Also, most of them have space in the "stow 'n go" compartment so I believe that it can be possible.
I rented from Alamo and we had our choice of any van from the Minivan area. We ultimately chose the Chrysler Town & Country for that exact reason (the extra Stow 'n' Go compartment space) over the Toyota Sienna, Nissan Quest and one or two other models sitting in the area. We used every inch of space in every compartment (those Stow 'n' Go compartments came in handy! they hold about six or eight bottles of wine each ), but it was still tight--and we were a bunch of FlyerTalkers who know how to travel light. (Most of us had smallish weekender duffel bags.)

I'd be a little skeptical that you'd be able to get as much as you say you have in one of those vans...
Old Jun 24, 2018, 4:05 pm

Party of six

Thanks for your help!!

party of six here - what did you get, and did it work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.