Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Cancel/No-show charges?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:04 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
I think Autoslash does this automatically, but not sure whether it's on the same reservation or they make different ones, or if they just track rates and tell you when something is cheaper?

Interestingly, sometimes these various cancellations still appear in their system. Recently on exiting LAS, where you now pick up the RA at the exit booth, the guy said "Oh which reservation is this?" When picking up at a franchise location in BZN, I had to pull my printout from my pocket with the res number and say "use this one" to get the one with the cheapest rate. I have no idea why they keep the cancelled reservations in their system.
They are new reservations on the rental company side, hence the reason that the rental confirmation number changes each time, however from the perspective of our system, it's a modification, hence the reason your AutoSlash Trip ID remains the same.

While it is true that your previous reservations are still technically visible in the rental company's reservation system, they would all show as cancelled. You can confirm this yourself if you have a current reservation where you got one or more price drops. Just go to the rental company website and try to retrieve a prior reservation before we dropped your rate. You will find that all previous reservations have been cancelled.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Hmm I wonder if you can modify a reservation and get a new price, without need to cancel, when rates go down? My usual habit is to book the car when I pay for the air, and then watch it every now and then. When rates drop, I make a new res and cancel the old. This is different from a no-show of course - Hertz still rents the car, I just get a better rate.
Not sure how this plays in terms of any no-show/cancel fees, but in general you can modify the reservation and untick the "use my previous rate" box and it should re-price at the current prices. I've done this multiple times without issue - you get the new rate, with the same confirmation number.

I think Autoslash does this automatically, but not sure whether it's on the same reservation or they make different ones, or if they just track rates and tell you when something is cheaper?
Never used them, but I'd all but guarantee they make a new reservation - with a new confirmation number, and a new travel agent code. If they just modified the reservation they wouldn't get a cut of the action...
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
After all these years with Hertz, I just encountered this new 24 hour cancellation policy for the first time. I'm not sure I can stay with them if I have to pay a full rental day for moving a rental from one location to another.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TravelManKen
After all these years with Hertz, I just encountered this new 24 hour cancellation policy for the first time. I'm not sure I can stay with them if I have to pay a full rental day for moving a rental from one location to another.
Did you try making the booking again? I'm still not convinced this isn't a website bug... I certainly haven't seen it again, despite multiple other bookings since I first raised it (including one at the same location).
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:34 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by docbert
Did you try making the booking again? I'm still not convinced this isn't a website bug... I certainly haven't seen it again, despite multiple other bookings since I first raised it (including one at the same location).
It's not a bug per se. I think it's more an issue of them testing this functionality out on a subset of customers (i.e. A/B testing the feature). Trying booking through a different channel or use a different browser at Hertz.com.

Keep in mind that this type of thing has always existed in some cases for certain situations like Minivans, larger SUVs and other in-demand vehicles when renting in certain locations at certain times of the year. For example, they can enforce the restriction on Fullsize SUVs being rented in NYC over July 4th weekend. They just don't want to be hit with a no-show on a potentially lucrative rental. National has similar policies in NYC.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:43 pm

Is this being tested on corporate rates as well? The effect on leisure travelers is easy to see. The reservation quote ends without a reservation, likely lost to a competitor. But if you're a business traveler, and your company only has a relationship with Hertz, you don't have a choice.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Is this being tested on corporate rates as well? The effect on leisure travelers is easy to see. The reservation quote ends without a reservation, likely lost to a competitor. But if you're a business traveler, and your company only has a relationship with Hertz, you don't have a choice.
I don't see that the effect leads to people not making a booking. a requirement to cancel unwanted reservations is not exactly onorous and wouldn't see it as much of a disincentive - except to those that frequently just no-show for reservations
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't see that the effect leads to people not making a booking. a requirement to cancel unwanted reservations is not exactly onorous and wouldn't see it as much of a disincentive - except to those that frequently just no-show for reservations
Look back at my first post in the thread. There is a fee to cancel at ANY time (except for within 24 hours of making the booking).

So whilst perhaps not onorous, it is costly, and thus is very much a disincentive to make a booking - especially if you're not 100% sure you want it...
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
I think you're correct. When I tried to replicate what I did to see the cancellation charge, it's only if I look at a reservation without using my corporate CDP rate. Typically I'll check the available rates for rental with and without my CDP, especially if I'm seeing a higher than normal rate. There have been times when my CDP shows ~$40/day on a weekend vs. ~$$25/day, or $55 vs. $35 for a business day rental.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:13 pm

Had this popping up for the first time yesterday morning. Midsize 1-day rental for the end of this month at domestic airport location with CDP. Nothing extraordinary. Didn't proceed with res.

Note: popup layout was different. The penalty was presented using three columns instead of three rows. Columns were "Cancel >24 hrs pick up", "Cancel <24 hrs", "No-Show".

Came back in the evening to complete the reservation. Popup didn't appear this time.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
Interestingly, sometimes these various cancellations still appear in their system. Recently on exiting LAS, where you now pick up the RA at the exit booth, the guy said "Oh which reservation is this?" When picking up at a franchise location in BZN, I had to pull my printout from my pocket with the res number and say "use this one" to get the one with the cheapest rate. I have no idea why they keep the cancelled reservations in their system.
I have this happen in Austin TX on a regular basis. Pricing there seems to fluctuate greatly, according to the mood of the revenue manager handling inventory. I have also rebooked the same reservation, getting a significantly lower price, and had the AUS agent pull up the prior amount. With a computer printout in hand, it has always been adjusted, but it takes time and is a hassle.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:37 pm

Had the same pop up when trying to book a weekend sedan rental from an airport in the mobile app. Oddly my screen went white around the same time, so I couldn't complete the transaction. I went to my computer with the same CDP and parameters - no cancel/no-show fee.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:57 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I hit this a couple times. After a couple run in, I eventually gave up and decided to book later... then it didn't show up and I booked the car I wanted. I did pick up the car as reserved, but I really like the flexibility of being able to cancel in those "just in case" situations.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Is Hertz's Pay Later cancellation policy location specific? Looking to book a car at BOS, but want to cancel it without paying a fee if my trip gets cancelled.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Hertz appears to be A/B testing the idea of charging customers for cancels/no-shows on Pay Later rates. I ran a bunch of tests and it comes up sporadically. They are probably trying to gauge the reaction of customers to the concept.

Interestingly, the cancel penalties are exactly the same for Pay Now vs. Pay Later, so if you are being forced into it, Pay Now is often the better deal. That said, as the OP pointed out, you can just open a new browser session to get around it (for now), but you can also go and hit the Select Another Vehicle button as well and that seems to stop it from forcing the option on you. They probably figure that if you don't bite at first you're probably not going to, so better to back off than to lose the biz. I'm sure they're tracking exactly how many people click the Continue button vs. Select Another, as well as how many people eventually complete a reservation vs. drop out of the booking funnel.

Time will tell whether this is something that the rental industry can make stick to not. Despite the obvious business advantages of forcing cancellation penalties on their customers, they need to tread lightly, because if one of the big three goes down this road, but the other two don't follow ("caught with their pants down"), the leader could end up in a lonely place and see their bookings drop dramatically. That's one of the reasons you've seen hesitance in the past in this area.
Surely Hertz has the big data to predict how many car reservations will be cancelled or no shows. They overbook based on these numbers. So these new cancel fees are just windfall money for Hertz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.