Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can I back-to-back 2 rentals and keep same car?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*

[yes, I'm posting here because I expect to get better info and guidance here over calling Hertz]

Arrgghhh, a few days ago I booked a 10-day rental (compact car, pick-up & drop-off in Chicago, non-airport location) and I just realized that I booked the pick-up date one day too late. I thought, no problem, I'll just change the reservation, but when I went to do that the price goes up by over $150 for the extra day, even though I can book a single day for $39.

If I book the single day for $39, is there any way to join the two reservations so that I *don't* have to go back to Hertz one day after pick-up? I'm going to be driving 6 hours away immediately after picking up the car and won't be coming back to Chicago for a few days.

I'm Hertz Gold Five Star if that makes any difference (from FoundersCard, not from renting a lot, as might be obvious from my ignorance).

thanks for any assistance in digging me out of my stupid hole...
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:01 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by huge
If I book the single day for $39, is there any way to join the two reservations so that I *don't* have to go back to Hertz one day after pick-up?
In my experience, no. No way to join them, and no way to finish one and start the next without physically being at the relevant rental location. I've had this a few times especially when I've had a points rental next to a paid rental, and they seem to be absolute that you need to return.

At HLE's I have been able to keep the same car (which also means no need to fill it between rentals - they just mark it as returned full and re-rented as full), but I've still had to go there in person.

It would definitely be worth calling Hertz to see if they could do something with the rates to give you a single reservation at the combined rate, but even then I wouldn't hold your breath...
Old Aug 16, 2016, 1:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It really depends on the location and your relationship with it

I have done this on numerous times with a location which I have used regularly, but do not think that this is necessarily the norm

I would make a telephone call to the rental location and ask whether it will allow this ; if not I would suggest taking the $111 extra cost rather than risking and even higher cost
Old Aug 16, 2016, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat100, Hyatt Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I have received this suggestion from Hertz's customer support (tried to book a 4 day Prestige Award, but couldn't book the Escalade for more than 2 days at a time).

He said to do 2 back to back and the location would take care of it.

I didn't trust him, and eventually just booked with Avis instead (needed a larger ESV-sized SUV, got a great rate from Avis through my corp contract).
Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but it seems better to post here than start a new thread on a very similar topic.

I will be traveling to the west coast later this year - arriving at LAX and staying a few days in the LA area then driving up to SFO and spending a few days there before returning home. The rental will be for the entire trip. Doing one rental is very expensive due to pickup at LAX and return at SFO. But, if I do a LAX-LAX reservation for the LA time, a LAX-SFO reservation for the travel day, and then an SFO-SFO reservation, cost is significantly less. I don't mind stopping at the airport to return/rent each time. My issue is that I am disabled and will have a vehicle with hand controls and would like to stay in the same vehicle.

Any suggestions on how to handle with Hertz? Should I tell them my plan or is this practice frowned upon? Thanks!
Old Aug 19, 2016, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

After booking , I would suggest phoning the locations involved - point out to them that you have 2 rentals , would like to return the car and take the same car out and ask if this would be an issue

I woul doubt that it would be ; it is easier for the location if it does not have to find another car with hand controls.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It really depends on the location and your relationship with it

I have done this on numerous times with a location which I have used regularly, but do not think that this is necessarily the norm

I would make a telephone call to the rental location and ask whether it will allow this ; if not I would suggest taking the $111 extra cost rather than risking and even higher cost
Thanks for the replies everyone. On my third call to the Hertz location I found the right CSR - he looked at the reservation and was able to add a day to the front end that only added $22 to the cost, so I didn't have to try to weasel my way into a back-to-back reservation. It did basically feel like I just got lucky to find the guy who could do what I wanted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.