Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No ZE1 at Columbus Airport?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2004, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
No ZE1 at Columbus Airport?

While returning a rental at the Columbus Airport Hertz location, I noticed that the Hertz rewards designation was not on my rental record. After returning the car, I walked inside to talk to the Gold desk about adding it to the rental. The agent said "Oh, are you talking about the ZE1 thing? We dont participate in that program, as we are an independent franchise". I found this very strange. I asked why and he claimed that they "dont have the ability to hook up our computers with the corporate office". Now doesnt that sound like a huge load of kaka! Anyway, it was not major deal as he WAS able to give me Delta miles instead.

Am I the only one who finds it strange that this location can give out airline miles, but not points in their OWN program?

Old Feb 9, 2004, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL FO, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pointfreak!:
Am I the only one who finds it strange that this location can give out airline miles, but not points in their OWN program?
</font>
The Hertz at the Lincoln, Nebraska airport is a franchise location that does not participate in ZE1, either. The following is from an email I received from Hertz in reply to my request for ZE1 points:

We've received and attempted to process your request for credit through the #1 Awards Program. Our records indicate that the rental in question was booked at a non-participating licensee location, Lincoln, NE. Consequently, this rental does not qualify for Hertz Awards credit. Hertz licensee locations are individually own and operated, therefore we have no control over which locations wish to participate in the Hertz Awards program You are able to receive partner Airline or Hotel points/miles and we would be glad to post your past Lincoln, NE rental for you.

[This message has been edited by isogyre (edited Feb 09, 2004).]
Old Feb 10, 2004, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
&gt;&gt;therefore we have no control over which locations wish to participate in the Hertz Awards program&lt;&lt;

What a load of BS. How about "Participate or we pull your franchise license"!

If a franchisee suddenly decided to change the Hertz logo or start renting beat up old cars, would Hertz claim "we have no control because it's a franchise"? I think not!

I wonder if you can redeem certificates earned through ZE1 at these locations? That would be interesting to know.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 2:12 pm

Location: Midwest United States (and anywhere a cheap fare takes me)
Programs: Marriott (Gold), Hilton (Gold), SWA (CP), Hertz (5*), UA (Nobody), AA (Lifetime Gold)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pointfreak!:
How about "Participate or we pull your franchise license"!</font>

You are correct, up to a point. As a lender to several franchisees (including one Budget but no Hertz) I can share that state laws limit the franchisor's power to "force" participation or pricing. At the same time, franchisors regularly audit the local units for service quality, adequate fleet size, etc. A "noncooperative" franchisee might expect more frequent and harsher audits. (I've seen this in fast food.)

All that bbeing said, do you think that Hertz really cares if Columbus, OH and Lincoln, NE are in ZE1?
Old Feb 11, 2004, 7:56 am
Original Poster

&gt;&gt;do you think that Hertz really cares if Columbus, OH and Lincoln, NE are in ZE1?&lt;&lt;

They should. These are their most loyal customers, and that is supposed to be the whole point of a frequent customer program...to reward those who stick with you! It's Marketing 101. I was also told by the counter boy that Columbus is the largest indepently owned Hertz franchise in the US.

Now that I know I will not recieve ZE1 points at these locations, I will shop around for the best price deal. I stick with one airline/rental car/hotel to maximize my point accrual. If ZE1 points are not a factor, the game changes drastically and I have no loyalty.

It just seems stupid to me...like a McDonalds franchise choosing not to carry Big Mac's. It undermines the entire brand.

[This message has been edited by Pointfreak! (edited Feb 11, 2004).]
Old Feb 11, 2004, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Wheeeew! Last year I had rants on franchisees this and the Marriott forum. Oh let's do it again. Rant On:

Many franchisees are the worst service providers in hotels, rental cars, moving trucks, you name it. Many franchisees don't care about your business, customer loyalty etc. Complain to them and they will tell you to take your business elsewhere. (I am not the only on on FT to have this experience) They are worlds away from the Hertz that we know and love.

Only thing I can tell you is hammer Hertz corporate with letters communicating your treatment. The corporate office really needs to beat these rogues into shape.

[This message has been edited by NeoOfTheCRS (edited Feb 11, 2004).]
Old Feb 12, 2004, 8:25 am
Original Poster

What address/person would be the best to send a letter to for the most impact?

Old Feb 15, 2004, 12:40 am

&gt;&gt;do you think that Hertz really cares if Columbus, OH and Lincoln, NE are in ZE1?&lt;&lt;

They should. These are their most loyal customers, and that is supposed to be the whole point of a frequent customer program...to reward those who stick with you!

Well considering they have over 6000 locations world wide, I agree I don't think they are going to mind that 2 locations or even 100 locations dont want to particepate.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 8:10 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pokes:
I agree I don't think they are going to mind that 2 locations or even 100 locations dont want to particepate.</font>
Yeah...I guess you are right. When a company becomes that big, who cares about consistency and customer satisfaction! As long as the majority of our customers are happy, screw the others. I mean whats a hundred black eyes on your brand when you have 6000 locations!

&lt;sigh&gt;

Starbucks has thousands of locations. Do you think their corporate management would care if just one franchisee decided to start using styrofoam cups or providing powdered creamer? It doesnt affect the core product...right? Or would they say "well we have over 6000 stores...this is just one." I guarantee you they would be all over this franchisee like white on rice.

Face it...it's just bad brand management.

Old Feb 19, 2004, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
At least, the Columbus OH Hertz location (which I had issues with in the past over the non-participating franchisee 10 years ago) takes credit cards.

Starbucks locations in Target Stores do not even take Starbucks' own gift cards!!!
Old Feb 19, 2004, 4:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
This is a major pet peeve of mine across the board: a franchisee of ANY company that doesn't follow the programs, processes, and products of the main brand.

I don't care if it's a Subway that is way too dirty, a Starbucks that won't take a Starbucks gift cert, a rogue Sheraton that won't give SPG points, or a rental car location that won't follow process. It p*sses me off when I run across this garbage.

These brands need to do a better job of ensuring CONSISTENCY. Hertz may not be able to FORCE Lincoln to follow process, but they can surely say "You are no longer a Hertz. Have a nice life."

I have always thought of Hertz as a company that does a pretty good job at this. I have never been to a rogue Hertz location. (I have been to rogue Budgets before that were terrible.) Thank goodness...
Old Feb 20, 2004, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pinniped:
Hertz may not be able to FORCE Lincoln to follow process, but they can surely say "You are no longer a Hertz. Have a nice life."</font>

That was exactly my point. Thanks for restating so well!

PF
Old Feb 23, 2004, 5:45 am

FWIW, the franchise locations also don't take coupons (but they do take CDP codes).
Old Feb 28, 2004, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"but they can surely say "You are no longer a Hertz. Have a nice life.""

Umm, I doubt it very much. When the franchisee purchased the rights, they agreed to a set Terms on purchase. The Franchisor cannot then require additional agreements. Same as the issue with Burger King wanting the Australian Franchise owner to change the name fro Hungry Jacks to Burger King after the company managed to get the rights to the BK name in Australia

Dave
Old Feb 29, 2004, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

&gt;&gt;When the franchisee purchased the rights, they agreed to a set Terms on purchase&lt;&lt;

Exactly my point. Hertz should have those things written in their franshisee contracts, as I am sure they do with other important items (use of the logo, etc).

&gt;&gt;to change the name from Hungry Jacks to Burger King&lt;&lt;

Yeah, but thats just because "Hungry Jacks" is a goofy name.

[This message has been edited by Pointfreak! (edited Feb 29, 2004).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.