Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Magellan Never-Lost System

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 1999, 7:18 am

On a recent trip out west to SEA we had the never lost system installed in our Taurus from Hertz. After figuring out how the thing works (and scrolling through all those messages that say the driver shouldn't be operating it while driving, right!) I was amazed at the ability of this thing to keep up with our position. We were zipping along Interstate 5 south of Olympia and the car's position was always correct, showing all of the highway overpasses and entrances and exits. It seems in the cities there is good coverage. But out in the smaller towns such as Chehalis, Longview, Astoria, Kelso, etc, we had to take what we could get. The find an ATM function is kind of junky. But other than that a great help. The sounds it makes are hilarious, various ding-dongs and female cooing at you. Even on the return to SeaTac it directed us down the 200th ave shortcut.
Old Oct 12, 1999, 9:29 am

I'm just about to book a car for IAH for this Thursday. Think I'll try the NeverLost for the first time.

Well, after checking prices, guess I'll wait to try it. Hertz wanted over $90 more than National for a full-size car, 5 day rental in Houston.

[This message has been edited by shadow (edited 10-12-1999).]
Old Oct 15, 1999, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
I use Hertz 90% of the time due to the AAA rates and coupons. Saving $1/day on NeverLost is great as well, and I find the system well worth the cost, even if I'm going to an area I'm fairly familiar with. If I make only one wrong turn and it gets me back immediately to the right place, I figure it's saved me that much in terms of lost time. Contrary to an earlier poster, I think it's ideal for guys. We can use the system "just for fun because it's a cool gadget," and it ensures we'll never have to look at a map, stop for directions, or (gasp!) call the client we're meeting to ask for directions.

Just so you know, AAA always has three coupons available (or at least have for the last several years): (1) $10 off a Weekly Rental, (2) $5/day (up to $20) off a Weekend rental, and (3) One Car Class Upgrade valid anytime on classes A-F. Technically the coupons are designed for AAA members and say you're supposed to present your card with the coupon, but I've never been asked for this and I've been using the coupons for years.

For the record, I am a long-standing AAA member and encourage everyone to join, but you can easily obtain and use these coupons without being a member. Just this afternoon I stopped by my local AAA office to pickup a handful of coupons, and no one ever asked for my card. The only thing that ultimately matters to them is using their CDP # so they'll get commission (which is obviously in your favor since you'll be hard-pressed to find one that offers a better discount).

If I've missed the boat here and someone knows a better deal than using the AAA CDP and coupons, please post it. I do alot of Thu-Mon weekend trips (usually for trade shows but also for personal trips) and the only time when their $20 off coupons are not the best deal is when they're sold out! There's a similar $20 coupon in the current Entertainment book, for example, and although it's a good rate it still comes out as slightly more expensive using their CDP--plus $1 more/day for NeverLost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.